What media outlets have you contacted?

by detective 17 Replies latest jw friends

• detective
    detective

Hi,
    I would like to get a sense of what media outlets have been contacted so far. Who has contacted the media? What media have you contacted? Any media interest besides the Guardian?

• wannahelp2
    wannahelp2

Have you contacted any media yet?

Do you plan to? Which ones?

I haven't yet, but I may...

• detective
    detective

I am planning on contacting some press hopefully later in the week. It's likely that I will only contact a few papers so as not to bombard my contact person. In the meantime, I've been collecting media resources so that I can proceed. Rather than inundate my contact person, it might be good if others noted who they were going to contact in the media and initiated some movement in that area on their own. If we get just one bite, it'd be wonderful. However, it will require people to be somewhat motivated. The pay off would definitely be worth it if we reached the public.

• detective
    detective

bttt

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

I have emailed the Boston Globe and the New York Times...no response yet. I just asked if they could confirm it officially in their newspapers so that we have some US newspaper confirmation; and more importantly, something IN PRINT!!!! Many do not trust anything they read on the internet, especially many witnesses I know.

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

I will meet tomorrow an editor from the largest newspaper in Finland.

• CatholicGuy
    CatholicGuy

Just a suggestion...

I used to write a press releases years ago. The best way to contact the press is not by email but by fax and with a follow up phone call. A fax gives them a hard copy that is harder to ignore than an email (try to obtain a name of one of the news editors when you send the fax). A follow up call ("I just wanted to make sure the fax I sent you got to you")also gives them a chance to sort out your news release from another's.

When writing the press release the first sentence should contain the jist of your article. I would suggest something like:

Jehovah's Witnesses quit UN affiliation

Responding to criticism from ex-members the Watch Tower Society (parent
    organization of Jehovah's Witnesses) last week withdrew its formal
    association with the United Nations as a NGO (here give a 3 to 5 word explanation of what an NGO is). The Watch Tower Society had
    quietly affiliated with the UN in 1991 in an agreement to "support the
    Charter" of the United Nations. Watch Tower publications have long labelled
    the UN as xxxx. Some critics of the 6 million member denomination, well
    known for its agressive door to door missionary work, believe this is the
    greatest scandal to hit Watchtower leadership. "It's comparable to a
    Catholic finding out that the Vatican had privately agreed to support
    Planned Parenthood and abortion rights," stated xxxx.

This is just a rough draft (quickly written as I'm on the way to work) but conveys the idea.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

detective,

Contact Bill Bowen at silent lambs. His Email is [email protected]

He & others have a press release on this subject now that is kinda like yours with a little "tweaking". It has been sent or was suppose to be sent this past weekend to a lot of papers.

I htink we have a big battle for press space thanks to all this war crap.

Get it and talk to him about what is going on.

hawk

• detective
    detective

Wow! Catholic guy, I like your style. Everyone, ignore my release rantings and listen to Catholic Guy's release. Very nice indeed. I've re-tweaked my release too, Hawk. And now that Catholic guy came up with another take on it, I'm seriously re-considering going back to the drawing board with my release. I'm inspired.

I also emailed the Boston Globe and several other Boston papers and two wire services. If I had access to a fax, I'd send them a hard copy but it looks as if I'm dumb out of luck there.

If we get just a few more bites... how exciting!

• Dino
    Dino

Hello detective and all. Having contacted two major metropolitan newspapers religion sections myself with faxes, e-mails and follow-up calls, one of the best ways we can contribute to the cause is to keep those threads regarding the UN at the top. Our combined comments helps the reporters to research it easier.I have directed news editors to this site because it says it better than anything. In addition, I have refered them to the Guardian articles as well. Keep those subjects to the fore!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit