Divorces...isn't that a "conditional" love?

by FreedomFrog 41 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    Being raised with a healthy view of love and marriage has a tremendous influence on the success of a kid's future relationships and marriage.

And being raised in a broken home is healthy? Having to live in a small apartment when they are use to a nice size house is healthy? Having to move every other year away from their school because that's the only way the family can survive is healthy? Not having the proper foods on the table as they were use to is healthy?

Sure sounds unhealthy to me. Better to not trust than to live in that kind of unhealthy way IMO.

• Odrade
    Odrade

So your marriage broke up, and you and your kids don't have the standard of living you all have been accustomed to, so you're going to do everything you can to make sure that they never "risk" love or marriage because they might get hurt by being loved conditionally? Sounds pretty warped to me.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Sure sounds unhealthy to me. Better to not trust than to live in that kind of unhealthy way IMO.

If we follow this line of reasoning, then it's better to never have kids. Of course, feelings don't have to be rational. Going through what sounds like a bad divorce, it's understandable you feel that way. You sound as if you care for your kids, since you don't want them hurt, and that's a good thing. As bad as the world can hurt at times, we have to look for the good. Give yourself some time, and things can look better. Nothing is ever easy though.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    so you're going to do everything you can to make sure that they never "risk" love or marriage because they might get hurt by being loved conditionally?

From what most on here is saying (maybe I'm misunderstanding)...the "risk" is way too high...the chances of getting hurt is basically a "will be" getting hurt. It's basically winning the lotto with marriages and love from what I'm seeing and hearing others talk about.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    If we follow this line of reasoning, then it's better to never have kids.

Believe me...that has crossed my mind many times. I do love my kids and seeing them hurt is making it that much harder for me to heal as well. When I have to make pancakes with just flour and water and that's all we have for the day, I hurt inside for them. Knowing my son is going to be uprooted yet again to another school for the third time within a year, and him losing all of his friends from the move, that hurts me inside.

I keep telling my son..."hang in there cause I'm going to college and things will change". I'm not so sure anymore. I've been saying "give it time, things will change" for many MANY years now.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I know this may sound corny, but have you ever read Paradise Lost? Now, I'll say right away that I'm not comparing you to the devil, but there is an interesting point in the book concerning the devil.

No matter where the devil is, he is in hell. No matter where the angels are, they are in heaven. Now, the reason given was that hell is the absence of God, but I think it is more profound and universal than that. Well, scratch that. I just thought of a more succinct quote. I believe it was Samuel Clemens who said "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right." There is much to be said for the self-fulfilling prophecy. I'll be quiet now. I don't mean to sermonize, or ramble for that matter.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right." There is much to be said for the self-fulfilling prophecy. I'll be quiet now. I don't mean to sermonize, or ramble for that matter.

That's one of my favorite quotes too. And that quote has been what kept my strength up to keep pushing...but sometimes I feel I can't push on any longer. Tonight is one of those nights. I know I'll get back to my "strong" self...but I'm just tired of being strong right now.

• Axeman
    Axeman

Not sure if I ever want to be married again because I can't deal with "conditional" love. What happened to unconditional love? I'm beginning to believe there is no such thing.

I don't believe that it is love if it has to be earned ( conditional ) It is a gift. Love is as love does. It may or may not be accompanied with loving feelings. Hence one can love ones anemies. Does that make me a doormat No for I love myself. I enjoyed reading " The Road Less Travelled" by M Scott Peck for a working defination of what is or is not love. A heavier read is The Four Loves by C S Lewis

• exjdub
    exjdub

Gina,

One of the mysteries of the heart is that if it has been broken it cannot repair properly unless it is opened back up. A closed heart is a sick heart and makes a bitter, isolated and mistrustful person incapable of moving forward. Opening the heart up to possible hurt is, of course, the opposite of what one feels like doing when they have been devestatingly hurt, but it is necessarry. I know you have been hurt deeply, however please do not close your heart off. It is a very lonely place for you and for the people around you who care about you.

I'm seeing how true that is. Because of marriages being less and less happy...I so hope my kids learn from all of this and don't get themselves involved.

You really can't trust anyone but yourself. That is one lesson I've learn in life. I hope I can teach my kids that.

I hope that you examine your feelings for the sake of your children. It is a tough load to bear for children when they watch parents split. They are watching very closely how you are reacting and how you both are handling the divorce. To close your children off to the possibility of love by hoping they "don't get themeselves involved" is most likely going to make them emotionally empty shells walking around. There are too many of those people walking around already who have been damaged and feel no responsibility to people, the planet, their community and even their own families.

I know you have been deeply hurt and that is the place where you are talking from, but please give yourself a chance to heal. You have only been divorced for a relatively short period of time. That, coupled with leaving a mind controlling cult, is enough for someone to deal with for a long time. I wish healing for you and I am sorry that you are having such a difficult time. Sometimes when devastating things happen it strips everything away and makes us look at what is important in life. Being a perfect housewife, or having possessions, is not what is important. Those, as you have learned, can be temporary and unable to make you happy. You mentioned that you can only trust yourself. I don't quite agree with that, but I understand where it is coming from. What is true is that only you can make you happy and content...no matter what happens.

Warmest Regards,

exjdub

• Scully
    Scully
    And being raised in a broken home is healthy? Having to live in a small apartment when they are use to a nice size house is healthy? Having to move every other year away from their school because that's the only way the family can survive is healthy? Not having the proper foods on the table as they were use to is healthy?

FF, I'm sorry to hear that you feel so badly right now. A lot of times we set ourselves up and allow negative thought processes to creep in to our repertoire. These questions you are asking appear on the surface to be doing that. Our mindset in how we approach our problems is something we pass along to our kids. Reframing how you think about something can help you put these negative thoughts into a more positive point of view. Maybe you can arrange for some counselling through your college to help you learn this important skill. Whether our attitude toward life is negative or positive, that's what we teach our kids. Ask yourself what you want to teach your kids.

Here are some examples of what I mean:

You said "being raised in a broken home is healthy?"
    Try: "my kids have two parents who love them very much and are doing the best we can in our circumstances; we don't have to live together in a loveless relationship in order to love our kids"

You said: "Having to live in a small apartment when they are use to a nice size house is healthy?"
    Try: "I am showing my kids how important it is to live within our means, the importance of having an education to achieve financial success, and that they can get along just fine without all the material things I can no longer afford. The kids won't be hurt by learning to delay gratification."

You said: "Having to move every other year away from their school because that's the only way the family can survive is healthy?"
    Try: "Moving to different schools can be hard, but the kids are making new friends every time. It's great to see them learning to socialize with such a variety of kids their ages."

You said: "Not having the proper foods on the table as they were use to is healthy?"
    Try: "I'm going to learn to be a super thrifty shopper, and learn to cook healthy meals on a shoestring budget. If other people can do it, I can too. It's not healthy to indulge kids with fast food or snack foods. There's nothing wrong with big pots of homemade soups and stews for dinner, or a piece of fruit or cheese and crackers for snacks."

I bet you can find all kinds of suggestions to stretch your finances on the various frugal living sites that are out there. I bet you can find some free cooking classes for yourself, and even tons of free activities to do with your kids so that they don't feel as though they are missing out on stuff. We still use most of the frugal lifestyle tips that I learned when I was in college, including finding free and very inexpensive activities to do with the kids.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit