SEMINAR ON BIBLICAL GREEK Taught by Dr. Firpo Carr

by VM44 62 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

While surfing the net, I came upon this annoucement.

A seminar on biblical greek to be taught by Dr. Firpo Carr!!!
    and it is only $100 too!

Who wants to sign up?

---------------------------------------------------
    < http://www.stirinc.org/seminar.htm

STIR Seminars Taught by Dr. Firpo W. Carr

Some scholars and professors of religion use Bibles and other publications produced by the Watch Tower Society. Professor Carr of Amen-Ra Theological Seminary is one of them. In seminars on biblical Hebrew and Greek, sponsored by STIR, and in comparative religion courses, offered by the University of Phoenix, Professor Carr finds Watchtower publications quite useful.

Dr. Jason BeDuhn is the most recent scholar to voice his admiration for The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures. He writes: "I have just completed teaching a course for the Religious Studies Department of Indiana University, Bloomington, [U.S.A.]... This is primarily a course in the Gospels. Your help came in the form of copies of The Kingdom interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures which my students used as one of the textbooks for the class. These small volumes were invaluable to the course and very popular with my students. . . . Simply put, it is the best interlinear New
    Testament available. I am a trained scholar of the Bible, familiar with the texts and tools in use in modern biblical studies, and, by the way, not a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses. But I know a quality publication when I see one, and your 'New World Bible Translation Committee' has done its job well."

Like BeDuhn, Carr believes that the Kingdom Interlinear Translation is an outstanding one, and is just one of the publication produced by the Watch Tower Society that Carr uses in both his university classes and weekend seminars. Below is an example of a sample syllabus.

SEMINAR ON BIBLICAL GREEK

REQUIRED TEXTS New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures--With References (Rbi8-E); The
    Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures (int-E); "All Scripture Is Inspired of God and
    Beneficial" (1990), all by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc. Additional
    materials will be distributed. Please bring a notebook, paper and pencils.

INSTRUCTOR Firpo W. Carr, BS, MA, Ph.D.

BIOGRAPHY Dr. Carr is a world renowned religious scholar who has been the subject of numerous
    newspaper articles. He has been seen by millions on national television talk shows like "Pacesetters" on KTLA, and "Today's Religion" on CBS. He was also invited to appear on "Prime9News" on KCAL as a Dead Sea Scroll scholar
    who was among the first to examine the secret unpublished Scrolls. He has authored several books and currently teaches
    at the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) Extension, and the University of Phoenix.

COST/FEE $100 due by [one week prior to day of seminar], $120 thereafter (no exceptions!). Please make money orders (no checks!) payable to STIR Inc. and mail to address below. Cancellations ($5 fee) must be made in writing prior to the start of class. All fees and costs are tax-deductible to the student.

CURRICULUM During the seminar students will learn the following: (1) part of the Greek alphabet, (2) the ability to read and understand familiar Greek words, (3) the significance of biblical manuscripts that serve as the basis of Bible translations (including the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures) (4) why God's name, JEHOVAH, should be in the Bible. Students will be shown rare video footage of the oldest most complete version of the Hebrew Bible in the world taken by Dr. Carr himself when he traveled behind the former Iron Curtain, along with fascinating slides. Certificates will be issued upon completion of the class to those meeting the fee deadline. Others will receive their certificates in the mail. No audio or video recording will be allowed. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Seminars are held anywhere in the United States and requires a minimum of 20 attendees and a maximum of 25. There are,however, exceptions to the maximum limit when there are 30 or more attendees. With 30 or more, there is a special group rate discount. Please contact us for more details.

• julien
    julien

Wow, it almost tastes like satire-

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I wonder what Dunsscot (if he were to honestly reflect on this) would think of the standard of this instruction in Biblical Greek!

• Tina
    Tina

uh i wouldn't tout him as 'world reknowned'...people at my university never heard of him. As have many other unis. Just a lot of hype. And where did he get his credentials again?

si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

• Satanus
    Satanus

He mispronounces the jewish gods name. He thinks the wt twisted scriptures are hot. Something sounds fishy.

S

• VM44
    VM44

Hi Tina,

Firpo Carr's background may be found here:

< http://www.stirinc.org/firpo.htm

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

My American amigoes, what does "he audited a course in Biblical Greek at the Claremont School of Theology in 1975" mean? I.e. what is "auditing" in this context?

• VM44
    VM44

Stephanus,

Auditing a course means that the student attends the lectures,
    but is not enrolled in the course.

--VM44

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Thanks VM

Ah, so he didn't sit any exams in either Greek or Hebrew...

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Seminars are held anywhere in the United States

What...friggin' Alaska?

Dungbeetle...so much dung, so little time...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit