Change in Baptismal Questions?

by brunnhilde 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

On another thread someone posted about hearing a different set of baptismal questions than the ones they had at their baptism. Can someone elaborate on this? I don't remember hearing anything about the questions changing and this really surprised me, though I don't know why!

• Gopher
    Gopher

This happened in 1985. The following information is from Randy Watters' Freeminds website. http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/bapquestions.htm

Watchtower Baptismal Question Change

Note the following change in the baptismal questions made in 1985 to further attempt to isolate their members from Christianity by promoting loyalty to the Watchtower organization, rather than to the "elusive" Christ:

WT (The Watchtower) 1973 5/1 page 280 Baptizing Follows Discipling

(1)

Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

CHANGE TO:

WT 1985 6/1 page 30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication

…Thus the decision to be baptized is by no means a sudden emotional reaction. Rather, each one has ‘proved for himself the good and acceptable and perfect will of God’ and wishes to submit to that will.—Romans 12:2.

At the close of the convention baptism talk, the baptism candidates will be in position to answer with depth of understanding and heartfelt appreciation two simple questions that serve to confirm that they recognize the implications of following Christ’s example.

The first question is:

On

the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:

Do

you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

Oh the irony - it was changed the year before I got dipped. And what a change! How could we have just stomached that! I can't believe how obvious it is that the Borg puts itself directly in between the person and their relationship to God. That is incredibly offensive and arrogant - I'm just appalled.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    I can't believe how obvious it is that the Borg puts itself directly in between the person and their relationship to God.

"WE are the truth and the way and the life. No one can approach the Father except through us." (1 Watchtower 5:17)

• brinjen
    brinjen

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?
    When you look at the questions with 'fresh eyes', it looks like something a lawyer would have wrote. Like they are clearing themselves of any wrong doing in advance...
  • RollerDave
    RollerDave

Wasn't that 1 Watchtower 9:14?

teehee, we so bad!

Roller

• brinjen
    brinjen

Just don't read 1 Watchtower 9:75, they don't like it...

• emptywords
    emptywords

Baptism as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses is a significant step as it is a life time commitment to the Watchtower Society. At Mat 28:18 Jesus commanded that a person be baptised in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. However baptism as a Jehovah’s Witness also stipulates becoming part of the Watchtower organization. The second question for baptism states;

Watchtower 1985 June 1 p.30

“(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization ?”

above copied from JWfacts.com. thanks

I will have to check out the old organization book think I have a copy somewhere, if I said yes to only dedication in name of father, son an holy spirit...just found the organization book copyright 1972.

The book has 80 questions one must know (learn including all sited scriptures )before the questions gives an outline of what to expect, Under sub heading FOR THOSE CONSIDERING BAPTISM,(page 17 para 2 )says....Only after believer had made such a dedication of himself to Jehovah God and taken up the discipleship of Jesus Christ is the believer qualified to get baptized "in the name of the Father and of the Son" as well as of the holy spirit. (Matt.28:19; Acts19:5) Thus water baptism is a symbol of his dedication of oneself to Jehovah God through Jesus Christ, preceded by repentance and conversion. Gy pursuing this course, the dedicated, baptized believer comes into possessin of a "good conscience" toward God. (1Pet, 3:21) Such a one who has thus symbolized his disowning of himself now becomes a slave owned by God and a disciple of His Christ. He must continue to obey the command, of Romans 6:13: "Present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, also your members to God as weapons of righteousness." Moffatt's Bible translation here uses the words "dedicate yourreselves" instead of "present yourselves."

This is what was suppose to be said and meant at the actual baptism, o k can't find anything here about dedication to the society in my baptism , Does that mean they cant disfellowship anyone if they disagree with the society, as I didnt dedicate myself in front of thousands of witnessess (district assembly) to do the beckon call of the borg .

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Thanks for the reference, I was researching the subject. :)

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

I believe in the last chapter of an old "Jehovah" book written by Rutherford one had to admit that the United Nations was Satan organization! and the Jehovah Witness were God's spirit ran organization then a person was ready to get baptized. What does United Nations have to do with repenting!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit