to hawkaw: re scan of Hoeffel's fax

by fodeja 12 Replies latest jw friends

• fodeja
    fodeja

hawkaw,

I've seen the scan of Paul Hoeffel's fax over at Kent's website. If I understand it correctly, you created the scanned JPG and sent that file to Kent and others.

I'd like to suggest something to improve the credibility of this thing - namely, to create a higher quality JPG from the original document. JPEG is a "lossy" compression format and is not very suitable for black and white, typed documents or anything else with high levels of contrast. The higher the compression level, the more likely you'll get strange effects - in this case, a noticeable grayish pattern around the letters and specifically the UN letterhead. I'm afraid people will cling to such details to quickly discredit the entire thing as a cut-and-pasted fake.

Could you try to scan it right into a lossless format (such as GIF) or a high-quality JPEG? Good image editing software allows you to change the JPG compression level before actually saving the picture.
    Thanks,

f.

• Trilobite
    Trilobite

along similar lines - any chance of getting a physical original from the UN or is it only the fax?

• Simon
    Simon

The original TIFF would be best (but big)

Trouble with anything computer ralated is that is it so easy to 'fake' (so also hard to 'prove' it is genuine if someone is looking for excuses)

• fodeja
    fodeja
    Trouble with anything computer ralated is that is it so easy to 'fake' (so also hard to 'prove' it is genuine if someone is looking for excuses)

Yes, as a matter of fact it would be most suspicious if the document looked far too good. The only way to actually prove this is to have people call up the WTS (or the poor folks at UNDPI) for themselves.

Still, a scan in good quality should help a little.

f.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

thanks for your good comments!

I did suggest already before, that to add more "

credibility ", or if you like more " weight " as a

genuine evidence, it would be nice to have the United

Nations' letter - printed as - addendum - to a nice

article on UN, NGO's and the WTBS organisation.

I'm sure that this will happen sooner than we think.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

As I said on Randy's and Kent's site - If your stupid enough not to believe it phone Hoeffel himself at (212) 963-8070.

BTW it illegal to use UN letter head unless you belong to the UN.

hawk (use all the evidence not just a piece here or there!!!!!)

• Trilobite
    Trilobite

Mac,

Waiting with "Bate-d" breath...

T.

• Moxy
    Moxy

i think thats not a bad suggestion. i noticed the gray boxes too and thats jpeg artifacts for sure, but considering the wild accusations of sneaking into the UN's website or posing as the WTBTS, im sure people *will* key in on those artifacts. a high quality compression factor can only improve matters.

mox

• fodeja
    fodeja
    As I said on Randy's and Kent's site - If your stupid enough not to believe it phone Hoeffel himself at (212) 963-8070.

BTW it illegal to use UN letter head unless you belong to the UN.

Erm, Hawk, I know, but that wasn't my point. I'm just suggesting that we try to get a better quality scan. Nothing wrong with that, is there? It'll also make for better printouts.

f.

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

fodeja,

A suggestion regarding the strange effects/grayish pattern around the letters, I saved the image as a bmp, then converted it to monochrome. This got rid of the grayish crap, and it ended up printing pretty nice.

TS,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit