Looking For A New Church

by lehighjoe 17 Replies latest jw friends

• lehighjoe
    lehighjoe

Being raised as a JW is a double edged sword. On one hand, you get a phenominal boot-camp education on the Bible, what it means, how to use it in your life (even long after leaving the Society). On the other hand, it makes looking for a new home-church a bit of a challenge. We're having a very difficult time finding a non-Trinitarian church to associate with. It seems that all denominations that were non-Trinitarian have since co-opted into other denom's that are. We've even relaxed out stand on the "cross", and have investigated a few churches that seem to use it more as an identifier than a sacred icon. (We have found NONE that didn't display it in some way.) We've even considered those that pass the plate" and the memorial emblems once or twice each meeting. From all the churches we've visited in the last few years, they all seem to have the same playbook, which is nothing more than a revised playbook from Catholicism and theological derivations. Believe it or not, only the LDS represents a non-Trinitarian alternative to JW's in our area, and they're not an option. Any thoughts on this subject? Thanks in advance.

• Honesty
    Honesty

What's wrong with attending a church that worships Jesus?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

There is a group of Pentecostals that deny the Trinity, but I cant remember what they are called. Most churches are Trinitrian, so you will have a hard time in your search.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I don't believe in the Trinity doctrine but I have no trouble associating with groups that do. Perhaps you are over-influenced by the JWs who regard the Trinity as a pagan demonic concept. That is not the case the doctrine may be wrong but it is an attempt however unsuccessful to reconcile believing in two Gods, the Son is also described in the NT as being a god.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Other than the Trinity, what else do you look for in a church? do you like alot of liturgy? Do you prefer it to be a big or small church? Is the music a factor? I myself prefer old hymns as opposed to the modern praise songs. There are many things that churches have to offer, I wouldnt limit myself to churches that were non-Trinitarian.

• blondie
  • lehighjoe
    lehighjoe

We rather like the "old-time" style, ourselves, and have actually found a charming Congregational church about an hour from our home. Unfortunately the theology is based on the trinity, and that makes it very difficult to fully immerse in the consideration for that day.

(I'll also take a minute to clarify: some churches belive in the same-entity concept of Jehovah, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit; others have a duotheism of Jehovah and Jesus being the same individual, and the Holy Spirit a separate entity. I use the term "trinity" to descibe both theologies, although I know it's *technically* incorrect for duothesim.)

There are a glut of rock and roll evengelical churches all over, but the show-business aspect turns us off.
    We feel like we're in a bad music video.

In addition, the evangelical churches in our experience try to be a lifestyle one-stop for people - a meeting place, counseling, day care, radio station, field trips... etc. They're also big... the small ones we attended had well over 500 people. There's no way any intmacy can be derived with the responsible members of the church. I asked, and was told across the baord, we'd be "assigned" to a group or a "membership director".

Blondie, thanks for the list, but we burned through that list two years ago.
    When we do research before we go into the field, we do heavy-duty research on anything we can obtain.

I'm not flaming anyone or any denomination, just passing along our personal experiences after a lot of "field" research and attendance. I also will not flame any JW for their attendance. Over time, the Society wasn't for me, and I stepped aside to let those it *was* for move along without me causing a negative effect on their day.

To each their own. As we continue to search.

Thanks to all for their replies, and we wish all of you the best.

• skeptic1914
    skeptic1914

It seems to me the key question is: Are the people you are going to associate with, whether socially or in worship, living the Sermon on the Mount? In other words, Is there Christian fruitage? "By THIS all will know you are my disciples..."

As far as doctrine is concerned, I have found it's important to be open to the idea that what I was taught as a JW may not best represent what the Scriptures teach anyway. For example, IMO the Scriptures show that Jesus is not Jehovah but is far more than a created angel. Since no human or group is ever going to get it 100% right isn't it more important to recognize the genuine love for God and neighbor in our fellow Christian?

Skeptic1914

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

What about the doctrine of Hell? Is that an issue? You mentioned the Trinity, but not this.

• blondie
    blondie

I guess it's a matter of finding out what you believe, why you believe it, and if there is someone out there who shares most of those beliefs that you want to associate with. Or most of them.

I've been reading a book by Charles Davis, a British theologian, who left the Catholic priesthood and the RC. He felt that organzing a group of Christians into too large a group skewed the faith.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit