Sunday Notes at the District Convention – An emotional plea to “young ones”

by truthseeker 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Wow, the convention sounds like a real sleeper this year. Nothing remotely interesting for apostates. My nephew, niece, and sister-in-law are coming out this year for the convention. I'm gonna be a bad uncle and try conning them into skipping a day.

They're only coming out for the 3 days of the convention and then going back home. I don't know what the point is of coming out. They come here, stay in a hotel, have to drive for an hour to get to Selkirk, sit in that stinky place for the day, drive another hour to get back to the hotel, and then maybe visit? What a waste.

Maybe my niece and/or nephew will skip Saturday if I tell them what the new release is :)

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    So the speaker prefers gluttony over moderation?

yes that was his point...sheesh

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Hi all,

I didn't take notes on Saturday, too busy recovering from the day before. About 23 were baptized. On Friday the attendance was about 2,400 and on Sunday afternoon it was 3,600!!!!!

Yeah, there was very little said to set off the apostoradar.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Excellent notes. Thanks for that.

And a classic – Do not let fear stop you from examining the true religion!

That's what I am doing. They should be commending me instead of acting like I am sick.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Speaker gives illustration of how over the years, a cup of coffee used to be 50 cents and now it is a $1, but, the thing that bothers him is the coffee cup has shrunk from 20 oz to 16 oz. The purpose of this illustration?

Are we short changing Jehovah by giving him less?

So aren't the WTS leaders wrong to reduce pioneer hours from 1000 per year (used to be even more) to
    840 per year? Are they shortchanging Jehovah by telling pioneers to do less? Everything outside the
    WTS is done wrong, while anything similar inside the WTS is a kindness or an advancement.

• Mum
    Mum

Being a JW youth provides some exciting opportunities:

1. Ducking the child molestors

2. The vigilant struggle to repress normal sexuality

3. The opportunity to face a prejudiced and ignorant judicial committee of bullies and come out minimally affected

4. The ever present challenge to select clothing that won't compromise the "spirituality" of the old men who see you

5. The daunting efforts to avoid school chums while hawking bad literature in their neighborhoods

6. The commitment to avoid good literature that might be thought provoking

7. The challenge of earning a living and supporting a family without an education

and so on.....

Regards,

SandraC

• blondie
    blondie

I wonder when the speaker last PAID himself for a cup of coffee that wasn't provided by Bethel, another brown-nosing brother, or made by his wife at home to take to the convention.

Blondie

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

a Watchtower writer with above average intelligence

I think that's an oxymoron!

Hmmmm......no, prolly just the regular kind.........

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

As I was reading this, I remembered how last year at the DCs, there was this sort of veiled excitement when some speakers wondered from the platform if there would actually be a DC this year, what with being so close to the Big A.

Guess what??? There is a DC this year, and one just as boring as last year! And that new book sounds like a real page turner! Thanks TS.

Also, Blondie, I've heard for decades that only 1 in 8 JW youth remain in the congregation - a figure quite close to what that CO said with 1 in 9. Only things may be getting a little worse. Good!!

S4

• needproof
    needproof

Somebody pass me the vomit bag

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit