WHAT DID THE WATCHTOWER STEAL FROM YOU?

by nvrgnbk 48 Replies latest jw friends

• golf2
    golf2

"TRUST".

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Frank75, meeting up sounds like a great idea. Jakes sounds familiar, but it's been a while since I've been in Unionville. Nice area - I used to clean a lot of windows up there back in the mid '80s.

When is a good time? Weekends are best for me.

W

• BFD
    BFD

Hi Nvr. Besides my mom and 30+ years of my life waiting to be destroyed at the big A, not much.

Blueblades, thank you for sharing that story. It was the first time I read it and it was very moving. I am now having a fresh start at the age of 47 due to the WT$ brainwashing.

Sometimes I feel so stupid!

BFD

• Vinny
    Vinny

I quit my dream of playing professional sports one day when my bible study conductor elder dropped off a WT article on the bad idea of playing organized sports. It was a long shot, but I was playing on a semi professional football team in Virginia as a running back, with hopes of going into some professional level. Canadian League or World football was around then too. I was getting closer to that life-long goal. Had worked hard at it for two years since my teenage years were spent partying and dropping out of school.

My conductor was very clear how I would lose out on LIFE because the influence in organized sports was so bad, plus I would miss the "vital meetings". I fell for it all, hook, line and sinker.

What was worse though was that none of my three kids would ever play any kind of organized sports. Instead we went to meetings and field service on weekends and often after school. We also pulled them all out of the public school system. Very sheltered lives now that we look back on it.

They really missed out on too much.

Giving up holidays was also a big step backwards. Even during the single, partying years we loved the Christmas spirit.

(Though for the first time since being marrried, my wife and I went driving around Christmas Eve taking pics of all the Christmas lights and even stopped for a Mai tai....

That was fun.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Know something Vinny?

To hear you express yourself in this context is refreshing.

You sound like a decent guy.

Love to you brother!

• Vinny
    Vinny

Thanks!!

We can pass the love around then.

Afterall, whether atheist, agnostic, bible thumping fundie (heh), we all were part of Watchtower World at one time.

And most are suffereing some significant consequences because of it.

And THAT is quite a lot in common!

vinny

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

You've said alot there Vinny!

You touched my heart!

Thanks,

Nvr

• helncon
    helncon

It really only occured to me as when i got older and i realised what i did miss out on. Being born into the religion and having to give up so much.

It took away my family, knowing that my dad was into it more than we all were not giving the support to my mum when she needed it instead going to the meetings and field service.

It was embarrassing at school having to sit out for many different things, not giving out xmas cards, or birthday cards, not being involved in after school activities, not able to have friends and if you did contact had to be limited.

I'm glad that i have the opportunity to give my children a better way in life, there are good people out there and they are not JW, heck even they are better than the JW families that i grew up with.

Now it has robbed my of contact with my dad and my brother who have listen to the holier than thou people who tell you who you can associate with.

I guess its there loss and one day they wil realise that.

helen

• sandy
    sandy

They held my brain and hostage for about 25 years. Imagine that! I'm only 31 . . .

• sandy
    sandy

They held my brain hostage for about 25 years. Imagine that! I'm only 31 . . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit