• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Thanks Garybuss, great photos.

saving for reference!

I had a girl

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

woops!

I had a girl about 15 chase me down at a gas station the other day, I knew exactly what she was doing when she headed from the car she was in with others.

I was quick to tell her she was part of a false prophet, and scripture tells us to stay way from FP's. She asked why do I say that. I told her to do some research. If I wasn't in a hurry with my family waiting in my car, I would have loved to have tried to set up a home study with them.

I'm sure that comment slid off her back like water on a freshly Rain-X'd car window.

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Why does it do that??????? what did I do?

• Marcel
    Marcel

Why did JWs stop using that full body armor (the signs strapped to the body)?
    It drew much more attention and it was a must-do, since armageddon was just around the corner - every attention was valuable as saved human lifes. what happened? armageddon is still around the corner. why JWs dont use it anymore? instead they are walking slowly from door to door or sometimes standing around silently. shouldnt they run around screaming with big banners to show everyone how serious it is?

i mean: if someone is going to walk down a grassland with hidden mines in his path... would you go slowly to him and give him a tract? or standing silently next to him with a publication named "headache - how to live with it". no you would grab his arm and pull him away.

is it possible the JWs are already sleepy?

• 38 Years
    38 Years

Yeah, doing street corner work was very embarrassing. I started my time the minute I got to my spot on the street. I never chased people down unless someone else in the group complained that I should be. Otherwise, I sheepishly stood there and held up the magazines. I just kept thinking about when we would be going on a coffee break.

• poppers
    poppers

Seeing those two old ladies with their plastic-enclosed magazines just makes me feel sad. Here they are at the end of their lives and they have nothing left but some cheaply produced paper with garish pictures to give them meaning - it's just sad.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Saturday, my wife and I went to the airport to pick up her son.

In the main lobby area, there are two information kiosks set up for people to stand at and hand out information to travellers.

The JWs always have someone standing at one of them. As we walked past, my wife was uttering under her breath, "Don't you dare!" - as she knows that I'll take 'em on. I just looked at them, and their literature, and was laughing as we passed.

They don't say anything to folks - they just have their litter spread out - sorta fanned - across the counter - and let folks just take it if they want it.

The airport 'location' is prime for JWs - to count time at. Many want to get on the 'list' (and it's long) to be allowed to go and stand there for hours - and get their 'time' in. Usually only older 'pioneer' folks are 'accepted'. (I know this for fact - cuz when I used to be married to my first JW wifey, my daughter looked into it.)

As an aside... there was also an information kiosk downstairs - manned by a volunteer who was handing out 'welcome to San Antonio' literature and such. As we passed, I smiled and gave a big wave to the fella sitting there. He looked around to see who I was waving at. I laughed, and pointed to him - and waved again. He finally 'got it' and laughed, too. I just like to be friendly to folks.

Regards,

Jim TX

• moshe
    moshe

I have never seen them do the corner or airport witnessing in my area. I would love to run into them sometime and share my "good news" with them.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In my day in the UK, the stand-at-the-corner style of "streetwork" was frowned apon. If we did it we had to pick a victim passer by and approach them and offer the mags. most of us hated it so we did not do much. I have noticed a really elderly brother in town doing streetwork from his wheelchair, just holding up a publication. Perhaps he is allowed because he can no longer approach people.

I remember old time "Bro's" telling me how they used to stand on the corners in the 40's and 50's , with mags fanned out on display . They said how they would try to put on a smile when people looked up, or a bus passed by.

km 9/96 pp. 3-4 pars. 9-10 Preach the Good News Everywhere ***

StreetWitnessing: ‘Where are all the people?’ we sometimes wonder as we visit a deserted residential area on a weekday morning. Some may be found running errands or shopping. Have you tried to reach them through street witnessing? When it is properly done, this feature of the ministry can be very productive. Rather than stand in one place with the magazines, it is best to approach people and strike up a friendly conversation. It is not necessary to give a witness to every passerby. Speak to the ones who are not in a rush, such as window-shoppers, those in parked automobiles, or people waiting for public transportation. At first, you may simply extend a friendly greeting and wait for a response. If the person is willing to talk, ask for his opinion on a subject you feel may interest him.

One traveling overseer invited six publishers to join him and his wife in street witnessing. With what results? "We had a wonderful morning!" he reports. "There were no not-at-homes. Eighty magazines and many tracts were placed. We had several stimulating conversations. One of the publishers, who was engaging in street work for the first time, exclaimed: ‘I have been in the truth for years and didn’t realize what I had been missing!’ By the end of the week, the congregation’s overstocked magazine supply was depleted."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit