Quebec: the superior court autorize the transfusion of two prematures

by chasson 36 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Scully
    Scully

hawkaw:

Who the hell was the doctor that testified? Was he a doctor of cooking?

BTW, it was nice of the rag people call the Globe and Mail to put that garbage in their paper without the other side being told. It was also nice of that rag to not mention that the Doctor from NJ had no idea about the kids' state until late in the article.

I guess I will write Mark Hume and give him a piece of my mind.

C'mon now, hawk. You don't seriously expect God's One True Channel of Communication™ to honour an oath they make in a court of law to "tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God", now do you??

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

May 25, 2007

Dear Mr. Hume:

As an advocate for many Jehovah’s Witnesses (JWs) who have been hurt by this organization, I just wish to thank you for the article on this issue (www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070525.JEHOVAH25/TPStory/TPNational/?page=rss&id=GAM.20070525.JEHOVAH25 ). I note the header of the article suggests Jehovah's Witnesses prefer techniques that require no transfusions.

A lot of people do not realize that the leadership allows Jehovah’s Witnesses to take one hundred (100) percent of human or animal blood as long as it is in their leadership's defined fractionated form or under their leadership's approved medical procedures (www.ajwrb.org). In fact, if whole donated blood was 100 percent fractionated and then transfused completely back to the patient at the same time in its separate forms, the JW leadership would accept the procedure. Unfortunately the technique has not been mastered in the medical world to save Witness lives. On page 22 of the June 15, 2004 Watchtower magazine (official publication for the Witnesses), the leadership actually provides a chart of what is and what is not acceptable.

Oddly, the leadership also allows Witnesses to take in white blood cells from another human during the course of a baby breast feeding from the mother but bans certain life saving white blood cell transfusions from the donated blood supply. The JW leadership does not discuss allowing white blood cell transfers during breast feeding while banning white blood cell transfers through transfusion therapy. You may wish to quiz the JW leadership or spokesperson on the issue. If leadership representatives tell you that breast feeding is natural and transfusions are not natural, remind them that their own official policy found in the June 1, 1990 and June 15, 2000 Watchtower magazines allow albumin (part of plasma) transfusions because albumin “naturally” travels between fetus and mom during gestation.

The leadership allows JWs to accept many blood transfusion therapies from the donated blood supply and have changed their doctrine many times since 1945. Before 1940 blood transfusions were allowed by the leadership. In the 1950s the JWs could not accept any blood products from the donated blood supply as blood needed to be poured onto the ground and covered. Also organ transplants were banned up to the 1970s but are now allowed by the leadership (http://www.ajwrb.org/history/index.shtml#modern).

Today, the leadership bases their interpretation on certain science and medicine literature more than the Bible. In support of its logic, the leadership sites the breakdown of blood in "Emergency Care" (a textbook for emergency medical technician students). The Associated Jehovah's Witnesses for Reform on Blood (www.ajwrb.org) indicate that scientifically, the breakdown is neither authoritative nor definitive. Alternatively, consider the list of major blood components as listed in Modern Blood Banking and Transfusion Practices (pages 237-248, 1999) by Denise M. Harmening, Ph.D. "Red blood cells, RBC Aliquots, Leukocyte-reduced red blood cells, frozen - deglycerolized red blood cells, platelet concentrate, single donor plasma, cryoprecipitated antihemophilic factor, granulocyte concentrates, factor VIII concentrate, porcine factor VIII, factor IX concentrate (Prothrombin Complex), immune serum globulin, normal serum albumin, plasma protein fraction, Rho(D) immunoglobulin, antithrombin III concentrate". It is noteworthy that of the sixteen major blood components listed in this definitive and widely respected textbook on transfusion medicine, nine are definitely permitted by Jehovah's Witnesses policy.

Just think about haemoglobin for a second which was banned until June 2000. Today, ninety-seven (97) percent by weight of a red blood cell (ie. haemoglobin) is allowed to be used by a JW in a medical procedure but add just three (3) more percent (ie. a membrane) and the product is banned.

You may wish to ask the leadership where in the Bible does it state red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets or plasma are not approved blood therapies but haemoglobin, albumin and the many other blood therapy products or blood transfusion therapies such as Intraoperative Autotransfusion (http://www.ajwrb.org/basics/what.shtml ) are allowed?

A lot of times the lawyers for the JW family (which in reality are from the Watchtower's Georgetown Ontario complex) will comment about how blood is very dangerous or that it is not medically necessary. They will bring up so-called bloodless surgery which in fact includes blood transfusions of one’s own blood using machines such as hemodilution. They will not tell you these transfusions using these machines were banned by the leadership a few short years ago. They also will not tell you that the so-called bloodless technique of bagging and storing of one’s own blood is still banned. They will bring up that they allow organ transplants which are significantly more of a dangerous procedure than blood therapy but they will not tell you that the donated organ such as a liver actually contain banned whole blood from the donor as well.

For the past banned which are now approved blood therapies, the leadership likes to put a caveat that the members must make a conscience choice whether to accept a blood fraction or not. This is the same for once banned vaccinations and organ transplants. At the same time the JW members are provided with many articles from the leadership explaining there are serious dangers in blood or there are alternative products to blood without properly explaining when blood therapy is needed to sustain life or prevent premature death. The result creates an atmosphere where some JWs will not take any blood therapies when they actually should.

A lot of people buy into the leadership’s argument without thinking about all the lives that were lost in years gone by and the lives that will be lost this year alone around the world. A lot of times people including the press miss the point that blood transfusions are life saving therapies that save thousands of lives every year and that the past stored blood crisis was not caused by the blood itself but by certain individuals who decided not to properly test the blood.

You should be aware that it is the JW leadership that opposes certain types of blood transfusions and therapies to save lives, enforces the doctrine on its members by using shunning and excommunication (disassociation) and inundates the JW members with many articles explaining the dangers of blood without properly explaining when the therapy is needed to sustain life or prevent premature death.

The leadership is not transparent on these and other serious problems within the doctrine, the many changes to the doctrine since 1945 or that certain JWs do not agree with this doctrine to the members. Please also note that AJWRB (www.ajwrb.org) are a group of JWs who actually will accept banned blood transfusion therapies to sustain life or prevent premature death. In other words not all JWs accept the leadership’s policy.

No one wants blood therapy if it can be avoided. But, there are times when this procedure helps to sustain life and prevent premature death as any medical doctor will tell you. Since the leadership is asking their members to make a life sacrifice or face harmful shunning by families and friends, it is important for the leadership to be honest and transparent on what they teach.

There is no way any minor or an adult can make an actual informed conscience choice involving premature death under these circumstances and the Courts have recognized this in the past and continue to recognize that fact.

If you would like to speak to a lawyer knowledgeable on the subject please contact Kerry Louderback-Wood at xxxx. She has already provided information in recent CP and MacLeans stories on the B.C. sextuplets and published a lengthy legal report on the issue in the United States of America.

I also urge you to read the MacLeans February 19, 2007 article on the sextuplets case.

Take care and feel free to contact me if you need something further,

• Scully
    Scully

Hawkaw:

This book needs to get into the hands of the press: 1992 Family Care and Medical Management for Jehovah's Witnesses. (Approx. 85MB)

You can download it via this thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/134923/1.ashx

It's quite a large document in PDF format. From what I've read of it so far, it appears to be a manual provided by WTS appointed Hospital Liaison Committees to hospitals on how to handle JW requests for bloodless treatment.

It lists various contact information for HLCs in North America, in addition to snippets from medical journals regarding acceptable treatments for JWs. I looked at the information for treating newborns for hyperbilirubinemia and they were citing studies from the 1960s that recommended giving activated charcoal to newborns (same treatment as used for someone who has ingested an oral drug overdose or poison) to treat high jaundice levels.

• chasson
    chasson

Another study of 2006:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18229111

Comparison of a restricted transfusion schedule with erythropoietin therapy versus a restricted transfusion schedule alone in very low birth weight premature infants

(...)

Conclusions: A restricted transfusion schedule without EPO use was associated with lower mean hematocrit at discharge, but not with an increased frequency of transfusions, nor significant differences in length of stay, discharge weight, or average daily weight gain. A restricted transfusion schedule alone avoided side effects and costs associated with EPO. Indications for transfusion and what constitutes appropriate levels of hemoglobin still require clinical investigation, including long-term clinical outcomes.

So with or without EPO, the transfusion's rate of babies was the same.

Bye

Charles

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass
    Speaking on behalf of the defendants was Dr David Burrows, himself a Jehovah's Witness. According to Dr Burrows, there are alternatives to blood transfusions, such as erythropoeitin (EPO), a hormone which stimulates the production and increases the number of red blood cells in the blood.

How many blood donations does it take to get a dose of EPO? Isn't it in the hundreds?

All that blood, not poured out on the ground...

• chasson
    chasson

Another spanish study (2005)

Erythropoietin and prematurity : where do we stand?

Erythropoietin (EPO) treatment for anemia of prematurity is still controversial. Large multicentric trials demonstrate that administration of EPO+Fe cannot prevent early transfusions, particularly in very low birth weight newborns and in infants with severe neonatal diseases, but may have some beneficial effect to prevent late transfusions. Current treatment of anemia of prematurity should be multifactorial trying to minimize all causes that reduce erthrocytic mass (phlebotomies, use of noninvasive procedures) and promoting all factors that increase it (placental transfusion, adequate nutrition support). To evaluate the real impact of EPO treatment it is mandatory to follow similar transfusion protocols for preterm infants in all the studies. The aim of EPO+Fe administration should be to avoid new late transfusions in very low birth weight preterm infants or to prevent the first transfusion after the second week of life in less immature premature with the objective of reducing the number of donors rather than the number of transfusions. We have limited the use of EPO+Fe to infants <30 weeks gestational age and birth weight <1250 g as well as to infants weighing 1250-1500 g with initial severe disease. The comparison of outcomes before (28 months period with EPO+Fe treatment to all premature <32 weeks gestational age) and after 20 months of implementation of the new protocol showed a significant decrease in EPO+Fe treatment candidates (40.3% vs. 85.9%, P<0.001) without changes in the percentage of transfusions in both periods. Therefore if EPO treatment is to be given it should be limited to preterm infants with a birth weight <1000 g or those of 1000-1250 g associated with risk factors for blood transfusion. It should be started at 3-7 days of life at doses of 250 U/kg subcutaneously, three times a week, for 4-6 weeks depending on gestational age with oral iron 2-12 mg/kg/day to keep ferritin levels greater than 100 ng/mL.

Bye

Charles

• MHguy
    MHguy

I am someone who studies very closely these cases. Not because I'm of that faith, but because I require special medical treatment for another reason. I have something called Malignant Hyperthermia. If I need surgery, I cannot be given the standard types of anesthetic. They could kill me. The kind I can be given is much more expensive, requires more training for those who administer it, and is overall more work for the medical team. However, the recovery time is far, far less, and there is no reaction by the patient when coming out. With standard anesthetic, often the patient experiences stomach sickness, lethargy, weakness, etc. They may spend an hour or more in recovery, and still feel "beat up" when leaving. With the treatment I'm required to have, there is less recovery time, no nausea or sickness, no weakness, etc. It is far easier on the patient and much better than standard practices. And...it could be used on every patient. Why isn't it? Why is only used for people with MH? It's too expensive. It is a superior alternative to the normal procedure, it is better for the patient, and it makes standard practices obsolete. But hospitals won't use it on everyone, because the old way is cheaper. NOT BETTER, JUST CHEAPER. What does this have to do with blood transfusions? They are the same. Not better, just cheaper, and easier. Most doctors will not accept blood transfusions, and would not allow their children to either, because they know there are better alternatives.(Most doctors will also not accept standard anesthetic, but will opt for the more superior form when needing surgery themselves.) But those alternatives are more expensive, and require more medical attention. They are however, better for the patient. In tests done on patients with things like Leukemia, or those who have had major surgery, those who did not receive blood, but instead received non-blood treatment, showed shorter recovery times, with fewer side-effects, and a far lower chance of post-treatment problems ie:infections, etc. There is absolutely no chance of your body rejecting a non-blood treatment, as they are not organic. When you receive blood, your body has to exert a tremendous amount of energy trying to accept that blood, because even though it's the same blood type, it's still foreign to your body, the same as getting an organ transplant. The stress on your body after receiving blood is the same as getting an organ transplant. Accepting non-blood treatment eliminates that stress, and allows the body to heal itself, as it was meant to do, and in 99% of cases it will do. When I found out about the treatment options required by my condition, and that these options could be used on anyone, I was shocked. People put too much blind faith in the medical systems, assuming their doctor would never lie to them, or has their best interests in mind. This is not the case. The medical system is driven by money. Whether it's a for-profit system, like in the US, or whether it's simply trying to keep costs down, like here in Canada, it's all about money. Jehovah's Witnesses want the absolute best treatment, and they know what's available. If more of us did our research before going to the doctor, or to the hospital, we could access those better treatment options too.(How many of us do a lot of research before visiting a car dealership to purchase a vehicle, but go to a doctor knowing absolutely nothing?) Now that I know about alternative anesthetic options, I tell my friends and family to insist on them when they need surgery. The same goes for blood. While not a witness myself, I always refuse such treatment, making it very clear before any procedure that I will not accept blood, and what treatments I will accept. It's time we stopped being bullied by the medical system, and started demanding the best treatment available, instead of settling for the cheapest. The witnesses are leading the way in this, and I applaud their efforts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit