UFOs what do you think?

by MariAruet 18 Replies latest jw friends

• MariAruet
    MariAruet

OK, I know this is a taboo but could it all be just a product of imagination?

I wached something tonight on TV then went to internet and found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQgfaLFTl4U

What do you think?

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Mari:

I tried accessing the video, but for
    some reason it did not play for me.
    However, regarding UFO's I think an
    individual has to keep an open mind
    on the subject.

Why?

There have been creditable individuals
    and creditable institutions alike who
    have claims of evidence regarding the
    subject.

This includes pilots, law enforcement
    agencies and military personnel.
    So, yes, I think the possibility
    exists.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• Numinous
    Numinous

Absolutely. I used to tell people out in service JC died for this planet, but "once for all time"...which would negate his having to sacrifice for all planets, or that that sacrifice covered all planets. I tried to research UFOs in WT literature, and they avoid the subject like crazy with an Awake article that simply excuses the entire situation with the idea of demons diverting our attention away from the earth.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

In my opinion, I think it's likely that life arose on earth spontaneously. So it's reasonable to think similar life could do the same elsewhere. If they got a mere 100,000 year head start on us, they could easily have come up with better traveling technology than we have. If they are still limited to light-speed though, it seems unlikely they would ever reach us. There's always a chance, but it's so slim.

Even with faster-than-light travel, they'd still need to find us. What would you scan the heavens for, looking for a planet that contained intelligent life? The scent of Italian food? (Seems like a decent indicator of intelligence to me!)

For that matter, the past is a BIG place. Better civilizations than ours could have arisen, died off, and done it again many times and still not overlap with our civilization's time.

From what little I know, I'm currently thinking we haven't been buzzed by aliens. I suspect they're out there, but I doubt they know we're here.

Dave

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Mari:

If you want to start researching UFO's
    you can start here.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i've seen a UFO. whether it was piloted by aliens or not is a question i cannot answer though.

tetra

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I think the chance of intelligent life arising is astronomically small, but the universe is astronomically big. There's an equation called the Drake equation, although it's not much more than a thought experiment since we really can't ascertain all the variables.

N = R* × fp × ne × fl × fi × fc × L
    where:

N is the number of civilizations in our galaxy, with which we might hope to be able to communicate; and

R* is the rate of star formation in our galaxy
    fp is the fraction of those stars that have planets
    ne is the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
    fl is the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
    fi is the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
    fc is the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
    L is the length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

Carl Sagan played with it on one of the Cosmos episodes, and depending on your speculations the universe could be teeming with life, or it could be relatively barren. Looking at the pictures of the Hubble deep field survey I think that there are certainly other civilizations out in the universe somewhere, even if you'd put very low odds for each item chances are still good there's been a handful of civilizations in the universe.

Have we been visited though? I think most alien encounters can be explained away as tricks of the human mind, or not giving human ingenuity enough credit. I can't say for certain that we have never been visited by beings from another planet, but I think it's unlikely.

• poppers
    poppers

I once saw something that had no explanation: a very bright, pulsating, and FAST moving object in the night time sky made a 90 degree turn on a dime and then disappeared entirely.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

many years ago way the heck out in Utah I saw a very dark very fast moving something flying along parallel to the road - it was amazingly fast, and flew past us a few times, rather low. Black and kind of pointy shaped. A real UFO - later on I saw it again in a photo in the paper - the stealth bomber. I guess we saw a test flight.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Um, I actually am someone who is willing to admit, I believe in UFO's and aliens. I also think in our life time, they will be revealed, as I think they are already known about by our government.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit