Why are JWs so disrespectful towards war veterans, etc?

by winnie 41 Replies latest jw friends

• winnie
    winnie

I never could understand this. Do they have no respect???

This subject came up when my hubby was talking to his brother on the phone a couple months ago. We could almost 'hear' (for lack of a better word) his sneer, and the contempt he had for the ones who fought for what we have today. When my hubby pointed out that these ones fought for us to live the way we do today, and if it wasn't for them, we would be living in totally different circumstances, his response...."They are stupid to go to war...what a waste of a life."

I was lost for words.

What can you say to such ignorance?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Who the hell liberated the JWs out of Hitler's concentration camps? The angels?

• Do Not Call
    Do Not Call

To them, the only acceptable warfare is 'theocratic warfare'.
    You can't reason with them!
    I had it explained to me as a child when I asked why we couldn't wear poppies etc. "War is wrong, so veterans are disobeying God, therefore they don't deserve respect".
    It's black and white to them.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Do Not Call has it right. Look anywhere active JWs are posting, and one of their main contentions is that ALL other religions teach war and killing and babies die, etc etc etc. They paint some ugly pictures of anyone involved in war-who is more guilty than the one fighting the wars? To them, that is about as low as you can get as a human. Forget that many wars have reasons to be fought (how do they think that the Bill of Rights/Constitution/DOI that they use constantly in their attempts to infiltrate the world with their propaganda came about? Wars were fought!)

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I have no idea. That always puzzled me. I could understand the neutrality issue, but the utter disdain they, as a group, have for Vets is beyond me.

Could it be a guilty conscience, perhaps?

Edited to add:

...."They are stupid to go to war...what a waste of a life."

I hear this from a number of people, not only JWs. Statements like this usually come from people with a "Progressive" political bent.

• journey-on
    journey-on

After leaving the borg, one of the first forbidden emotions I allowed myself to revel in was patriotism. When I went back to college, American History and Political Science were two of my favorite subjects and I devoured them.

When I or my hubby sees a solder, we try to walk up to him and shake his hand and simply say, "Thanks, son." Right or wrong....whatever one's opinion is on the politics of war....that soldier is doing his duty and it's because of men like him we enjoy freedom to express our opionions and worship the way we choose to worship.

Even the Bible says there's a time for war. No one in their right mind likes war, but sometimes it's necessary. It would be great if the time comes when there is no longer a reason to go to war, but until then, like it or not, America is the land of the free because it is the home of the brave.

(I will now step down from my soap box and take the verbal lashing that is sure to follow.)

• BR25
    BR25

I dont think it is a lack of respect. I know that soldiers have to be brave and so forth to do what they do, but it doesnt mean you have to support it. Yeh we have freedom and I know we fight terrorism. Be a jw backer I dont back wars, but if I did fighting for freedom and terrorism to me would seem ok, but wars over oil, political topics and so forth being a jw backer or not to me doesnt seem acceptable. For those ones who believe in god how do you think he feels about this? I am asking about wars on oil and other areas you shouldnt go to war over.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    I dont think it is a lack of respect.

I disagree. I have never heard any respect for, or value placed on, the sacrifices made by those who gave their lives in World War 2 to liberate the people of Europe, including jws, by the watchtower.

They are stupid to go to war...what a waste of a life."

That sounds like a lack of respect to me, and I have heard similar comments from jws I have known.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk
    When I or my hubby sees a solder, we try to walk up to him and shake his hand and simply say, "Thanks, son." Right or wrong....whatever one's opinion is on the politics of war....that soldier is doing his duty and it's because of men like him we enjoy freedom to express our opionions and worship the way we choose to worship.

Journey on,that comment makes no sense to me?By your reasoning you would go up to a Wermacht Soldier during WW2 and shake his hand?Hes just doing his duty after all.Or maybe its just your Countrys Soldiers "right or wrong".

Back to the original Comment,yep they (JW,S)are incredibly sneery over many things..especially Patriotism and war veterans.My stupid Father when a service overseer insisted we as a group continue ministry on eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month when most other People respected a Minutes silence to remember the dead.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

The high points of a JWs life are the moments when they can look down on someone and feel superiour to them. It's what they live for. They don't need a valid reason to look down on someone - any excuse will do.

It's all they have.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit