What did you become after leaving Jehovah's Witnesses?

by Garrett 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Garrett
    Garrett

Hey guys,

So, since my leaving I have been doing SO much research on SO many topics that it's been extremely enlightening. Not only have I learned a lot about the organization and what motivates it, but I have also learned a lot about the Bible, God and most importantly, myself.

Currently, I'm not quite sure where I stand, but I'm having some real issues with the Bible and God. However, that's for another post which I'm looking forward to discussing.

My question here is, after leaving Jehovah's witnesses, did you remain a Christian? Did you become an Agnostic or Atheist? Perhaps you turned to another religion? What are YOUR views on things now that you aren't influenced by JW?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I went through a rather odd arc in my beliefs. For the last 10 years or so, I've essentially been an atheist that had the aposta-phobia that kept me from disproving JWdom completely in my mind. Basically I was hedging and couldn't be bothered to prove it to myself because there was too much else going on in my life that I couldn't handle the realization that I was trapped in a cult too. Once I woke up, I was immediately a full-blown atheist.
  • WingCommander
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher
    Happy! (cue Pharrell Williams!)
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

When I first left I still believed there was a true god, and that the Bible was his word.

It took me a while, but whilst looking at all the falsehoods of the JW religion, I began to examine the Bible itself, and found it wanting,it was obviously the work of men, and every single book, from Genesis on, was concocted with a particular agenda. Very little truth was to be found within.

I then looked for evidence that there was a god, I found nothing at all that was satisfactory..

I decided from then on I would lead an evidence based life, and I would employ Critical Thinking skills in every matter I looked in to..

I am now a rational, humanist, non-theist.

I also find that now I do not suffer fools gladly, and I am much more forthright than I ever was, though I try to temper that with kindness and empathy where possible.

• millie210
    millie210

I am in the midst of leaving. I know some have been posting here for years so it will be interesting someday to come back to your thread and see what I became. I dont see myself going for a religion that teaches doctrines I cant accept. Such as the trinity. Has never made sense. Its weird and complicated and the Supreme Being (if there is one) should be so simple and basic that therein lies the beauty and complexity.

Buddhist? sounds ok - need to do more research. Atheism? Thats fine if that is where my research leads although currently it has an air of "resignation" about it that isnt appealing. That and the fact that I have yet to meet a glowingly happy atheist but maybe I will!.

That brings me to the heart of it I guess. I am looking for happy. Not that fake happy that extremely religious people have, not the constant seeking for self enjoyment (eat, drink, for tomorrow we die) kind of happy, I am looking for a basic contentment. A place to rest and be a part of this wonderful universe that is a miracle however it came about.

So that is where I have decided to start. When I see a genuinely happy person, I am going to observe carefully. If appropriate I am going to ask them how they arrived at where they are.

So I guess the answer to your question "What Did You Become After Leaving Jehovahs WItnesses?"

Truly happy.

I just want to achieve that if I possibly can.

• ron rawson
    ron rawson

My 2c: The Bible was intended for 1st century Christians to find their way to heaven....for us it is not much more than a read....maybe a good read for some, a waste of time for others. I believe in God, but find him to be apathetic to the world we live in and it's problems....otherwise he would solve them. See James 4:17."if you know how to do what is right, yet do not do it, it is a sin for you"....I am currently trying to figure how that scripture plays into Jehovah being a God of love.....

What to do? Be as happy and content as you possibly can where ever you are in your life right now.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Garret, I don't really know what I became when I learned TTATT. I suppose it has been a process of learning and I am still learning.

At present I have enough evidence to suggest the process of evolution was guided by a higher power. But also that higher power is not benevolent in any way. If the processes I am talking about have more evidence that they are unguided I will change my view.

So I am probably deist at the moment.

Kate xx

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Wing Commander beat me to it:

Free to think, to speak my mind, to use my time as I want, to believe or not believe, to choose my friends, to LIVE a normal life...come to mind first.

• cantleave
    cantleave
    I became a relatively normal Human.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit