Are You A Pharisee? No? Are You SURE? :-)

by FireNBandits 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

LOL, I'm not the only one missing episodes on JWD(rama).

One word about the Shammai & Hillel tradition (which I would personally take with a pinch of salt inasmuch as the "Shammai school" so often serves as a bogeyman to highlight, by contrast, the "reasonableness" of the "Hillel" stance, i.e. the Mishnaic halakha): it is very difficult to fit the Gospels' Jesus into either box. His stance on divorce / repudiation, for instance, sounds definitely "shammaite".

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

Hey DD, why not let ANL defend himself? I didn't call you a Pharisee, so get down off your high horese, m'k? You keep trying to turn the focus away from that fact, and to make it seem like I did call you a Pharisee so that you can turn this into some kind of personal vendetta. I said before that I don't know you, but now I do. You're obsessive and compulsive with a martyr complex. If I want to write about Pharisees I will, even if it pisses you and ANL off bigtime. You fundiots are something else. Why not ask yourself WHAT WOULD JESUS DO? I did, that's why I'm refraining from really letting you have it. Jesus had plenty to say about Pharisees. Do you think he did so in order to make sure we would not be able to tell when we see it in our ourselves or in the Christian culture? Anyway, Jesus sho nuff wouldnt be stalking me the way you are! That post really set you off. What part was it that best described you DD? The ten pound phylactery Bible? The public prayers in restaurants? The spying and reporting on co-workers? The majoring in minors, such as thinking God Almighty shares your superficial concerns? Was it the mention of bibliolatry? Or of substituting a doctrinal or moral hobby-horse for God? What was it that fingered YOU SPECIFICALLY DD? You're trying to hide the fact that the article fingered you in some way, and therefore got your Pharisaic dander up, and now you're trying to hide it by pretending to be defending ANL. Keep this up and you and I and the owner of the board will have to talk about your stalking of me. I've had quite enough of your stalking and self righteousness. I say stalking because since I made this post you have tried to start a fight with me personally, as though I attacked you personally. I didn't. You're not a Pharisee and this post wasn't about you DD, m'k? ANL is quite able to defend himself. So chill.

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

Hi Narkissos. Yes, I know, but the presentation of the Pharisees in the gospels is generally a caricature anyway. Actually, I'm a thoroughgoing Mythicist as to JC, though I am open to evemerism. In fact, I used to be an evemerist until I read Suns of God and Christ Conspiracy by Acharya S, The Incredible Shrinking Son of Man by Dr. Robert M. Price (a fellow of the Jesus Seminar among other impressive scholarly credentials) and some other books by Price, Earl Doherty, and Acharya all demonstrating the mythical nature of JC. (Yes, I'm aware of some of the scholarly "slipups" by Acharya in Christ Conspiracy, having spotted several myself) Robert Price has a really fun program on every Sunday at Freethought Media. You can sit in the chatroom while the live program unfolds and type in questions for Price to answer. The man is amazing in both his breadth and depth of knowledge. I listen every Sunday at 6 PM eastern time, USA. http://www.freethoughtmedia.com/RobertMPrice.ftm Thanks for dropping by Narkissos. -Martin

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

Hi Borgia. It's my understanding, at this point, that Christianity began as a messianic movement within Judaism and that elements of the Mystery religions were synthesized with Messianic ideas to produce an othwerworldy messiah for Jews. Hence the Pharisees would be strongly represented in early Christianity. I've found a fascinating group of people online that seem to have successfuly resurrected this ancient Judaic form of Christianity, though not precisely and exactly. http://essenes.net/new/subintro.html

Not that I'm interested in joining any religion, but these folks have an interesting site. -Martin

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

I think, DD, you need to ask yoursef IF YOU became a Christian. I became one by repenting, believing, and being baptized. By being born again and baptized in the Holy Spirit. The very fact that you ask such questions of me proves you're trying to turn this very generalized post about Pharisees into a "grace versus works" fight (which was not and is not the itent of the article) and it also reveals you as a believer in eternal security, that your ethics and morals don't matter because you've been justified by faith. My post wasn't about you DD, so I'm having to PM Simon about you and this personal vendetta against me you've got going. I'm not going to put up with being stalked by you whenever I post soething that steps on your toes. You have taken a generalized post that had NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU PERSONALLY and have made it personal. This post was also NOT ABOUT ANL. That was in another thread entirely, and YOU certainly arent ANL. You've tried very subterfuge to "get me" for having dared to post somehting that you didn't like. NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT YOU DD! This post certainly isn't but I'm writing one now that definitely is.

I will continue to write about modern-day Pharisees as well as crazy cyber-stalkers for as long as it pleases me to do so.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Martin

Wow! Stalking? I think I'm asking a legit question. You called ANL a Pharisee, because he believes the same thing I do. I simply would like to know how you (or anyone for that matter) calls themselves a Christian, if defining it makes you a Pharisee? If you or ANL can't define what a Christian is (without becoming a Pharisee), how would you help someone to become a Christian. How can you or anyone's righteousness exceed that of the Pharisees?

Nobody is stalking you. My question isn't off topic. This has nothing to do with "grace versus works".

NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT YOU DD!

Yea, I guess it's all about you.

This post certainly isn't but I'm writing one now that definitely is.

Are you going to mention me by name?

I will continue to write about modern-day Pharisees as well as crazy cyber-stalkers for as long as it pleases me to do so.

Knock yourself out!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit