More drama between my mom and I

by reneeisorym 42 Replies latest social family

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I'm so sorry that you lost your Aunt, we have so few relatives that the non-JWs (the ones who will speak to us) are very precious. What was she like?

If it's any comfort (doubtfully), my JW family have made my non-JW family lose interest in me by being better at the game... they know their propaganda and there are far more of them than me. They must be telling the truth, right?

Its better this way. I'm going to use the "if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all." rule.

Good call: I have decided to take total control of the contact I have with my poisonous folks, however much I love them and am worried for their mental and emotional state. I visit their hometown once a year just to see my non-JW grands, and I make contact with my parents at the same time. Last year it was a horrid experience; this year I'm going to bail when it gets ugly. The most important thing to my parents is how they and the organisation look to outsiders; I get the impression that if I cut them off they'd be happy because they wouldn't have that bad feeling from staying in touch with me and they'd get to say that it's my fault and my choice and that I have shunned them.

Be prepared for the long haul. If it's normally months between contact with her, expect to go for a couple of years before the silent treatment takes effect. You don't need to tell her that this is what you're doing, just don't make contact. For a while she'll be hurt, then she'll be indignant. She might eventually soften, but don't hold your breath. Spend the meantime enjoying the peace - it's the best thing for you and your family to protect yourself from this kind of treatment.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Sassmyfrass said:

The most important thing to my parents is how they and the organisation look to outsiders; I get the impression that if I cut them off they'd be happy because they wouldn't have that bad feeling from staying in touch with me and they'd get to say that it's my fault and my choice and that I have shunned them.

This has been my experience, too. Whatever you do with or for your JW family, be prepared to always be their scapegoat whenever any questions arise regarding disfellowshipping or disassociation, because it is all about protecting the image of the organization and its members, even if it involves lying, slander or defamation (what JWs call "theocratic warfare"); and when it isn't "theocratic warfare" for them, it is them believing their own lies.

• hubert
    hubert

What a totally rotten thing to do to you.

(((((Renee))))) Sorry you lost your best relative.

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit