Please Focus on the Bible

by terrypike 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• terrypike
    terrypike

Hi Viviane, if you want to know where your souls is or what it is, the closest you will get to understanding it is to look onto where your heart is. If you try to measure it by science the closest you can get is to read the genesis account that Adam became a living soul only after he had been given the breath of life or again the text that speaks of the life of the soul is in its blood, these are simply ways of telling people long ago that our treasure is where our heart is and in today's times what is more important than ones life..or the quality of it?..your questions are logical according to the medical model but try the same questions by the social model, the medical model highlights the traditional western logic in biological cause and effect the things you can put in a test tube and measure, the social model highlights the effect on how we feel according to how we cope with circumstances that are often beyond our control so they take us out of our comfort zone.

The expressions dead as a dodo has a biological meaning, being dead to the world simply means one is in a deep sleep and totally unaware of what is happening, totally different to the 'happy soul' and then there is soul music.

Thank you so much for your input which has been very theraputic to my soul being able to respond to, however I have to move on as the range of reply's is expanding and getting away from the Bibles own logic.

Regards Terry

• Viviane
    Viviane

TP, none of that tells me what my soul is, what it it, what it is made of, etc.. Is it physical, as in literally a thing in my body close to my heart? If so, can it be removed, damaged or altered? Is it sleep, music or something else?

You're all over the place in your response and didn't actually tell me anything except that you are moving on after not answering questions about your claims.

That's not very nice.

• cofty
    cofty
    1. OXYMORON: a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g."the Bibles own logic" ).
  • SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

As an Orthodox Tewahedo Christian I strongly advocate that you read the following books ; the entire Catholic Deuterocanon, 4 Baruch, Jubilees, and Enoch as well as the Pre-Nicene and Desert Fathers, St. Augustine (especially what he has to say concerning the literal interpretation of Genesis), St. John Chrysostom (though his Anti-Semitism is at times over the top) and just to nail the coffin on Eurocentrism, the Kebra Nagast. There is more to scripture than the 66 Books of the Bible, and when it is all taken into account, Biblical Literalism in the face of scientific evidence must perforce be taken with a grain of salt compared to Biblical Allegory. When the widest canon of scripture is adopted, biblical literalism is shown for what it is, a desperate attempt on the part of Protestant pastors to keep the flock dumbed down with the illusion of spiritual knowledge.

As for the Muslims, the Orthodox have a long history of conflict and coexistence with them, sometimes as the dominant religion, and at other times the minority religion. Western Christians would do well to study that history and endeavor not to repeat the mistakes of the past rather than blindly buying into apocalypticism and Christian Zionism.

• terrypike
    terrypike

Hi Viviane, You asked what the souls is and can it be measured scientifically ect, the short answer is no because it is not a physical entity, what the soul feels is however confirmed by what our body does, you insist on a scientific answer but in your reply show no interest in the difference in the medical model as used by othodox medical science as compared with the social model which looks at the effects of circumstances on how one feels and that in turn provides all the evidence you will get from looking to science for the answer as to where is your own soul to be found,actually you have no need to ask anyone about that you just have to be perfectly honest about your own feelings.

You may find also the work of Dr Sulman helpful he among others researched the effect of ion changes with some of the winds well documented for the effect they have on how people feel, he found they increase the body's level of serotonin which I am sure you are aware has a major influence on the personal feelgood feeling, also there is the well documented case of Norman cousin who like Prof Steven Hawkins stood the othodox prognosis that they had a very short life expectancy on its head by living decades past the othodox prognosis of a short life expectancy.

So if you really want to know where your own soul is try following there example and question othodox wisdom in the real spirit of science which is all about an evolving and growing understanding. Prof Hawkins has a brilliant mind, had he invested it in the science of genetics medical science would by now have been even closer to a cure for his own condition -or perhaps even found one. Best wishes for your journey but I really have move on.

Terry

• cofty
    cofty
    Terry - Everything you mentioned can be explained by what goes on in our brains. Inventing something called a soul is superfluous.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    and can it be measured scientifically ect, the short answer is no because it is not a physical entity

Got it. You've no idea what a soul is, where it is, what it does or what it is made of, but you're sure it exists and can talk confidently about it.

If it doesn't exist physically, how does it exist? Be specific.

but in your reply show no interest in the difference in the medical model as used by othodox medical science as compared with the social model which looks at the effects of circumstances on how one feels and that in turn provides all the evidence you will get from looking to science for the answer as to where is your own soul to be found,actually you have no need to ask anyone about that you just have to be perfectly honest about your own feelings.

My reply shows that I hear about souls, spirit, spirits all the time and am waiting for one person to explain to me what it actually is. So far, you are added to the list of people that claim all sorts of things about it yet can't even tell me what it is.

At best, you're using "soul" as an analogy for "brain".

• Caedes
    Caedes
    You seem to have glossed over the fact that you can have a heart transplant and still be the same person so the 'soul' can't be in the heart! You can have a blood transfusion and still be the same person so it can't be in the blood either. I suspect that Viviane is correct and that you are using 'soul' as an analogy for brain. You certainly haven't explained what a soul is.
  • terrypike
    terrypike

can it be measured scientifically ect, the short answer is no because it is not a physical entity

If it doesn't exist physically, how does it exist? Be specific.

Terry - Everything you mentioned can be explained by what goes on in our brains. Inventing something called a soul is superfluous.

Good now you are beginning to get what I am talking about, it is not a physical entity the soul is an abstract Idea according to ones personal faith just as the artist gets an idea and puts it on a canvas, some people like it others don't, or a musician gets an abstract idea and some like it others don't, I use the credible models of science to communicate my idea of what the soul is but you don't get what I am saying is that because you are not as convinced about the reliability of those models as I am, or that you simply don't like what i am communicating, it really is not a problem for me.

Like most people you may have seen the film about the Titanic but may not have followed up Dr Ballard's other great discovery of whole ecosystems on the sea floor where according to othodox wisdom it was to cold and dark at that depth for any life to exist, some people preferred his discovery of the Titanic others preferred his discovery of whole eco systems where science said it was impossible.

Me, I have shared my abstract idea and you don't like what you hear its really not a problem for me because just sharing it has been very theraputic for my soul and as I have said it is time to move on as I believe events will soon enough test the credibility of my Idea so I once again thank you for your input and wish you all well on your souls journey, imagination is a wonderful gift when it is exercised in the right way to make it fit for purpose.

Terry

• Viviane
    Viviane

If you are using "soul" as a metaphor for "abstract idea" then you aren't saying anything. You make a lot of claims and back it up with nonsense. You use no science, certainly no scientific model of any kind and the movie Titanic is utterly irrelevant.

When you wish our souls well are you really wishing and abstract idea well?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit