OUTRAGEOUS WACKTOWER COMMENTS!!!!

by anewme 18 Replies latest jw friends

• anewme
    anewme

Wow Blondie!! I remember hearing or reading that comment! Probably some old timer remembered that 1965 comment and repeated it at a Watchtower Study!!
    It was used to imply that Adam had a choice and could have reasoned that God could have produced another mate for him and that he did not have to join Eve in the rebellion if he had had more faith.

Further implying that none of us HAVE TO SIN, that God can always find a way for you out of your pressures and sorrows and doubts.

All this implication and suggestion and imagination and fantasy and commenting works for the Society to its favor!

• undercover
    undercover

We had an elder who was part of the old school JW camp. This brother had known Rutherford and some of the other heavies of the time. He had also done time in jail for his association with JWs.

He didn't conduct the WT study very often but he was a book study conductor. Before the days of assigned number of pages or paragraphs we had to cover, he would usually do the standard read/comment from the book for about 30-40 minutes and then the rest of the study would be about the "old days"...using the phonograph, riding in sound cars, being chased by shotgun weilding hillbillies, people who he knew that were tarred and feathered, his prison experience, his memories of Rutherford and cronies, etc.

The great thing was that we weren't having to read and comment, we just sat there. The bad thing was that he only had so many stories. After a year or two of hearing the same old thing over and over and over, it got unbearable.

Another thing it did was scare us youngsters. To hear about people being put in prison, being tortured and run out of their homes all for doing what we were doing...associating with the Watchtower Society. When your 10 years old and people keep telling you that sooner or later, these same things are going to happen to you, it has to fuck you up in the head.

• garybuss
    garybuss

This is all the Knorr seminary approach to soliciting. They run three classes a week just different books and different days but all three are formatted like a seminary class. The only departure is the talk and that's little more than a recitation now.

Think about it, nothing has been changed in the weekly schedule or meeting format at all since Knorr died in 1977. This is the same weekly schedule as they were using in 1951 when I started attending meetings with my parents when I was 7 years old.

The one thing that's ramped up is the sucking of money from the Witness people. This money sucking is working. They've built virtually all of Patterson and that huge printing complex with new presses at Wallkill since the donation arrangement went into place.

Knorr expanded the business and raised money but nothing like now. These guys are GOOD!

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I remember hearing it and announcing it myself

"Welcome to Watchtower Study, please turn to your ___15th Watchtower and on Page?

That infuriates me now, we should have been studying the Bible not a manmade document and or literture. What a waste of time!

abr

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

Many years ago, we had the sweetest little old lady in our hall who was mentally challenged, and she loved to comment during the watchtower study. My dad, who was the conductor, would call on her. Our family really liked her. Anyway, there was the study on Joseph and Potiphers wife. (If you remember the picture of Joseph fleeing from her grasp.) Well, she raised her hand and my dad called on her, and she said in her gruff little voice, "Well, Joseph is wearing a dress, so, he is a transvestite. He isn't going to be in the paradise." I still smile when I think of her.

Loruhamah

• badboy
    badboy

funny remark

• Threestars
    Threestars

There was a really elderly brother who went to almost all the meetings and raised his hand for virtually every paragraph. The conductors knew what he was going to do but they usually, out of kindness I'm sure, would call on him at least once. He would read the ENTIRE PARAGRAPH in a halting way since he was nearly blind. It was so funny. Once the conducter said 'well, that just about sums it up, brother" and I almost got a case of the giggles. One time the conductor snapped to the reader, "don't bother, let's just move on to the next paragraph since we're running behind".

• blondie
    blondie

THE FRED FRANZ EFFECT

*** w61 8/15 p. 499 par. 19 Honoring Jehovah ***

Some have tried to bring old-world attitudes into the congregation. For example, they feel shame at being counseled or corrected, ignoring God’s principle that this is necessary for all in growing to spiritual maturity. (Prov. 4:13) They absent themselves during the circuit servant’s visit, or fail to take talks or written reviews in the Theocratic Ministry School. Some immature ones have even gone so far as to falsify their written reviews, their field service reports and otherwise put on a face-saving pretense before the servants of Jehovah’s organization. These cannot deceive Jehovah or his organization, and in due course they find themselves in the same condition as Ananias and Sapphira, because they "have played false, not to men, but to God."—Acts 5:1-11.

*** w61 6/15 p. 365 par. 22 Manifesting Christian Manners ***

Some of you have the bad habit of repeatedly running out to the rest rooms during meetings. You, no doubt, acquired this habit from the juvenile delinquents with whom you are obliged to rub elbows in the public schools and who use it as a means to give expression to their frustration and rebellion. Beware of imitating them! You know they will perish at Armageddon, while you hope to survive it and live through it into the new world, do you not?—1 Cor. 15:33.

Blondie (I have more)

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Every so often this Filipina sister gives a real whopper of a comment. One time she said "The macarena was a dance for a false idol," based on some obscure goddess who had a similar name!

I just tend to hear of how God is going to kill witnesses from an invalid pioneer woman. Also, older sisters can be counted on to give self-deprecating comments when we discuss gender issues (for example, like last night's study about "that woman Jezebel").

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit