JW secretary getting a (second) talking to

by looking_glass 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Some of you know my sitch. Long & short, had a temp secretary who is a JW. Had problems, eventually got rid of her, but she still works at the firm. Anyways, since yesterday JW secretary has been in overdrive regarding memorial and giving peeps tracts/brochures/mags, etc. I finally had it today cause I was trying to get something out the door and she was busy preaching to the service people. So, I sent a nasty gram to HR. I just checked my work e-mail and I got a response from our CA HR Dept advising that they would be meeting with her tomorrow to address the problem and express the seriousness of this second "reminder" about her conduct at work.

KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED THAT SHE GETS PISSED AND STORMS OUT THE DOOR TO NEVER RETURN.

And b/4 someone once again asks why a law firm is frightened of its peeps, yes, yes, I know every one thinks that law firms are ball busters, they are not and we keep crazies for years cause we are afraid they are going to sue us. Why, cause we are filled w/ all old white men, so there are tons of classes that we discriminate against and if you discriminate against religion on top of it, we are up sh_t's creek. I am waiting for the day we get sued, cause it is coming and fast.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

LG, I hope for all your sakes that she either just leaves or just leaves her jdubya bizness at home. There's a time and place for everything and work is not the place to be preaching on company time.

Frannie

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

That persecution sure is hitting her hard .... rofl

This girl is nuts. Even as my fully brainwashed self, I didn't do THAT!

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Fran - I hope for my sake she leaves. My fear is she will think this is a persecution thing. Also, I hope HR handles it right and does not name names otherwise all hell is going to break lose. She and I went toe to toe when she was calling after me right after the memorial last year to ask me if I went, all the while I have a client I am walking back to the board room. It was horrible, that is how it all began. I do think she is more over the top then most JWs and she has a chip on her shoulder on top of it. So besides the fact that she is a crazy JW, she is a mean and nasty crazy JW. Let's hope this is the end of her!

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

if she's a temp, you don't have to give a reason for letting her go, and you don't need to worry about getting hit with a lawsuit.

if she's an employee whose religious expression is keeping her from working, write up an action plan with a designated time for probation, ie 60 or 90 days, which she signs that she will turn it around or face action up to and including termination. but be reasonable. if you would allow other employees to discuss their favorite TV shows or movies, sports, politics, etc. and it takes away from productivity, but you won't let this girl discuss her religion with willing participants, that would be discrimination, IMO.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    My fear is she will think this is a persecution thing. Also, I hope HR handles it right and does not name names otherwise all hell is going to break lose. She and I went toe to toe when she was calling after me right after the memorial last year to ask me if I went, all the while I have a client I am walking back to the board room. It was horrible, that is how it all began. I do think she is more over the top then most JWs and she has a chip on her shoulder on top of it. So besides the fact that she is a crazy JW, she is a mean and nasty crazy JW. Let's hope this is the end of her!

I'll keep my fingers crossed and am sending positive thoughts your way, LG! Here's hoping!

Frannie

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Just think about the fine witness story she'll have for the assembly, when she tells how she lost her job in the name of jehovah a publishing company!

• LaniB
    LaniB

If she is a temp and her agency finds out about this they will be mortified (and probably remove her from their books). As a temp she is employed by her agency not by the law firm so she shouldn't be able to sue you.

She is totally nuts though. I was temping when I was a JW and never, ever brought up religion at work unless someone directly asked me a question first. (Obviously a very bad JW from hearing this story though lol)

• blondie
    blondie

If a JW did that where I worked, they'd get 2 reminders and out the door. The work rules forbid "evangelizing" of any kind, religious or political. A co-worker complained to me about a JW who routinely put magazines out on her desk (this JW complained when a coworker put up a cross in her personal workspace (cubicle))> I told her to tell HR. So she did (and kept my name out of it thank goodness) and his JW was told to put in the desk. All workers were told that political and religious material, written or otherwise, had to be kept out of sight in their desk drawers. People still put up easter and christmas symbols but no crosses, creches, pictures of Jesus, etc, just bunnies, eggs, trees.

In my 50 years as a JW, I have seen very few JWs activiely recruit during their work hours; on break perhaps as they read their bible or magazines, but not on company time. I'm willing to bet that the elders find this woman to be a pain in the butt as well at the congregation.

Blondie

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

No, she is not a temp. She was my temp secretary. She is a floater, so she is considered an employee of the firm. She is the only black secretary that we have of the 50+ secretaries. Though that is a condition of our firm. Of the attys we only have 6 chicks, only one is not white. Of the remaining 69 attys, only 2 of the dudes are not white. Of all those people, we have no shareholders that are women. And as for the executive committee, not only are are there no women, they are all white men. Over the last year we have had 2 sexual harassment claims and one wrongful termination claim. So right now the place is running scared. The issue is that instead of recognizing that they need to diversify, they just hang on to the few bad apples we got, rather then getting rid of them for fear of getting sued. The other problem is that our office policy does not address inappropriate material in the work place other than sexually explicate material. The office policy sucks to tell you the truth! It is vague enough to not box them in a corner, but not specific enough to be able to go to someone and say "hey you are violating office policy" knock it off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit