Why does the great crowd go to memorial?

by *jeremiah* 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• M.J.
    M.J.

Technically, members of the Great Crowd aren't "Jehovah's witnesses", according to the way the WTS defines the Great Crowd. In Isaiah 43:10 uses the term "my witnesses" for Israel (v1), in contrast to the non-Isaelites in v9. The "anointed" are supposed to picture Israel, now deemed "spiritual Israel".

The "anointed" observe the memorial Christianity as a celebrant; an active participant. The rest observe the memorial Christianity as spectators.

• Clam
    Clam

LOL @ "So they can reject Jesus"

M.J. not just Jehovahs Witnesses then but also Jehovah's Bystanders.

When is the Memorial (Nisan 14) by the way?

• gumb
    gumb

Well, someone's got to be at the Kingdom Hall to pass the bread and wine around, and I suppose it's the thought that counts. :0)

• restrangled
    restrangled

As my husband always said, a non JW...."It's the annual census count for existing and potential JW's"

• jam
    jam

I know this is off the subject but check out MITHRA the sun GOD , 600 YEARS before CHRIST.He had 12 disciples, born around christmas, the blessing of the world, birth announced by the stars, worshiped by wise men, fasted for 40 days, taught in parables and rose from the dead.And his followers partook of a drink on the day of his death.The Persian did this and then move to ROME before christ, 600 yrs. before the first memorial took place.

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

So, basically, I understand from the ex-JW frame of mind why the great crowd attends the memorial. I understand the diabolical nature of the cult and enslaving people, their minds, and taking their money.

Everyone's reasons why the great crowd attends the memorial have been accurate according to reality.

Yet,...what I'm concerned with is their reasons according to scripture. Do the JW's use scriptural proof that the great crowd is invited to the memorial to only observe?

The wt text that Blondie supplied is interesting but in those WT excerpts they don't offer any scriptural proof.

JW's are always wanting to show people how clear the bible is in regards to:

the trinity

paradise earth

God's name

refusal of blood

etc, etc......you know, they try to make it so black and white. I would like to see their answer to this.

• M.J.
    M.J.

At the original Last Supper, according to the WTS there were no "Great Crowd" members in existence, so there would not be any biblical precedent to follow in the first place.

When the "Jonadabs", later known as the "Great Crowd" first came about in the Watchtower movement in the 1930s, they were known as simply "companions" to Jehovah's Witnesses. Thus they were invited to all JW functions including the memorial, even though they weren't even originally considered Christians.

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

Thanks MJ

At the original Last Supper, according to the WTS there were no "Great Crowd" members in existence, so there would not be any biblical precedent to follow in the first place.

Exactly,...and adding to that, according to the WTS, Jesus at the last supper was speaking to the anointed. Therefore,...even when the "great crowd" did come into existence,...there is still no biblical invitation for them to attend and observe.

I'm thinking this might be a good issue to bring up when confronted by JW's. It seems like there is no way they could come up with a solid answer.

I'm thinking about emailing my mother and brothers still in the borg and asking them a few questions regarding these issues.

i.e.- Mom, I recently saw this years Memorial invitation and it got me wondering. I decided to read all the scriptures surrounding the last supper.

I was wondering if you could tell me where your invitation to the memorial is in scripture?

Jesus is speaking to the anointed christians when he says "this do in remembrance of me",...meaning that the anointed christians should parttake of the emblems. If Jesus is speaking solely to the anointed, then where is the "great crowd's" invitation to the memorial? Jesus only had members of the anointed with him in the upper room.

Can you show me in scripture where the "great crowd" has the right to attend the memorial?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit