Satan's Star (scan)

by AlphaOmega 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Zico
    Zico

Hi!

"Maybe God used the star so that it is provable, either now or in the future. Isn't there some astrological event or conjunction of planets that is supposed to have been the basis for the star? The BBC did a documentary about it in their "Son of God" series, I think it was called "Jesus, The Real Story" in the USA."

It could be! I really have no idea.

"Zico, am I going mad, or have you moved from the UK to the Russian Federation in the last few days????"

Err... I've just been playing with my profile. :)

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

We had an elder in our congregation that called Santa Claus "Satan's Claws" He thought he was QUITE clever.

Shelli

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

Hello??????

How do you explain then why the star lead the Magi to Herod, then to Jesus???????

Herod wanted Jesus dead according to the account...why would God lead the Magi to Herod then??????????? Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it??????? Yeah right, God sends his son to earth then sends a star to guide the Magi to Herod who wants him dead??????

The account says the star lead the Magi to Herod who puts on this great show and convinces the Magi that he wants to find the child so that he may worship the child but of course that's false. Herod asks them to tell him where the child is when they find him. The Magi obviously don't see Herod for what he is, after all this event, the birth of the "Savior" was an event all Jews were waiting for so they would have no reason to doubt Herod's intentions. That's why the account says God warned them in a dream not to go to Herod but to leave by another route. The Magi were pawns, nothing more.

If you accept the fact that Satan is a fallen angel then you also have to accept that these angels have far more power than we do and making it seem like there is a star in the night sky...that's something we could do with our level of technology. It's not hard.

• Scully
    Scully

How do you explain then why the star lead the Magi to Herod, then to Jesus???????

Duh!!!!! Cities back then had walls around them. Do you suppose (if the story is factual, which I do not believe it to be) that maybe the magi were met at the gates of the city and then were TAKEN to Herod to find out what their purpose was in coming to HIS city, to ensure that they were not enemies, or were planning to spy for their own leaders?

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

That's a valid point Scully. However if we for the sake of arguement accept the account in the bible as factual them we have to remember that Jesus and Herod were not in the same city. Herod was in Jerusalem and Jesus in Bethlehem.

The account as laid out in Matthew chapter 2 says that the magi came to Jerusalem and were asking about "...the one born King of the Jews..". It then says

"At hearing this King Herod was agitated and all Jerusalem along with him (thus they arrived, started asking questions and the resulting uproar is what brought them to Herod's attention, remember the Jews were waiting for this event). Herod then gathered his advisors and they told him the child should be in Bethlehem. That's when verse 7 says that Herod summoned the Magi (secretly) and asked them to find the child and tell him where he was.

From the sounds of it Herod was trying to kill the child on the qt and when he found out that the Magi had not followed his orders he had every child under the age of two killed.

This is politics plain and simple. It may well be that Satan wanted Jesus dead and did waht he could to make it happen (guiding the magi to Herod). However we can acertain that Herod did want him dead regardless of satan's wishes and if Jesus was really to be the long awaited, much anticipated "King" then Herod would be out of a job. This is a perfectly plausible account and stuff like this happensd all the time in battels over thrones. Innocents always suffer horrible cruelities in such games.

• UpAndAtom
    UpAndAtom

Before contemplating the star of Bethlehem, you must first ask yourself – what is a Star? Surprisingly few people question this. They don’t think it’s important, but yet there is great controversy about what our own star actually is. Do stars stand alone in isolation from their galactic neighbours, or are they part of an invisible network all connected in some manner that is imperceptible to us at present? Don’t be surprised if our own Star’s energy level fluctuates as it traverses deep space. The polar ice caps on Mars are melting at the same rate as the Earth’s and not a single cow fart on Mars! Global warming or global ignorance?

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Matthew 2:15-18 NWT

[15]

and he stayed there until the decease of Herod, for that to be fulfilled which was spoken by Jehovah through his prophet, saying: "Out of Egypt I called my son."

[16]

Then Herod, seeing he had been outwitted by the astrologers, fell into a great rage, and he sent out and had all the boys in Beth'le·hem and in all its districts done away with, from two years of age and under, according to the time that he had carefully ascertained from the astrologers.

[17]

Then that was fulfilled which was spoken through Jeremiah the prophet, saying:

[18]

"A voice was heard in Ra'mah, weeping and much wailing; it was Rachel weeping for her children, and she was unwilling to take comfort, because they are no more."

It happened to fulfill prophecy. To show the link between the Old and New Testaments (Hebrew and Greek texts), to show that the God of the Jews was the same god who was working through Jesus.

This shows that God (Jehovah, Yahweh, Elohim) was in control the whole time.

In order to comprehend that this was not some simple "rebellious act" that Satan performed in order to crush Jesus, one must understand that whilst we are caught up in the cosmic battle between Good and Evil, it is not easy to see which is prevailing at any given moment.

Take for example (as I mentioned above) the crucifixion...

The devil must have been popping the Champagne corks when he managed to get Judas to betray Jesus, but God knew all along that this would happen. So he made use of it...

Please realise that without Judas betraying Jesus, there would have been no ransom death of Jesus, and without the ransom death of Jesus, there would be no salvation.

The devil may have appeared to lose the battle, but God was way ahead of him and used him in order to fulfil good.

Life is not always black and white.

The same can be said of the star. Herod's massacre of the children was a forshadow to the death of Jesus - the same can be said for the slaughter of the first-born in Exodus.

Just my thoughts. Why can't I get black text when I want it???

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb
    The WTS knows that if it can get JWs to not observe holidays like Christmas or Easter,

Plus, that also means more $$$$$ for the publishing company if their salesmen don't spend it all on presents and holiday-related things!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit