Satan's Star (scan)

by AlphaOmega 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Here is a scan from the 1978 edition of "My Book of Bible Stories" !

http://i17.tinypic.com/4i1q8sz.jpg

alt

Satan makes a star shine ? Did Satan create the universe ? Isn't that a bit Gnostic?

Has anyone noticed that "Satan" is an anagram of "Santa" ? Maybe this is the reason that JW's shun Christmas ????

This is still current, according to the 2006 WT Library. This is also an idea repeated in the following publications...

*** w98 12/15 p. 9 Jesus’ Birth—The Real Story ***
    Now, whether this was an actual light in the sky or simply a vision, we do not know. But we do know that this "star" was not from God. With sinister precision, it leads these pagan worshipers right to Jesus—a child vulnerable and helpless, protected only by a poor carpenter and his wife.

What ? How about, "With sinister precision, the star leads these believers in a message from an an angel sent by "Jehovah" God to deliver their prophetic gifts to his son. (Gold = Kingship, Frankincense = prayerful connection to God, Myrrh = death)" ?
    *** ir (Teacher Book) chap. 32 p. 168 How Jesus Was Protected*** A short time after Jesus is born, Satan causes what appears to be a star to shine in the sky in the East.

*** gt (Greatest Man) chap. 7 Jesus and the Astrologers ***

Who do you think provided the star that moved in the sky to guide the astrologers? Remember, the star did not guide them directly to Jesus in Bethlehem. Rather, they were led to Jerusalem where they came in touch with King Herod, who wanted to kill Jesus. And he would have done so if God had not stepped in and warned the astrologers not to tell Herod where Jesus was. It was God’s enemy, Satan the Devil, who wanted Jesus killed, and he used that star to try to accomplish his purpose. Matthew 2:1-12; Micah 5:2.

? What shows that the star the astrologers saw was no ordinary star?

? Where is Jesus when the astrologers find him?

? Why do we know that Satan provided the star to guide the astrologers?

*** w02 12/15 p. 32 "The Three Wise Men"—Who Were They? *** In view of all the troubles caused by their visit, it is reasonable to conclude that the star that they saw and the message about "the one born king of the Jews" came from God’s enemy, Satan the Devil, who wanted to do away with Jesus.—Matthew 2:1, 2.

The message came from Satan ??? Really ???

*** w56 12/15 p. 742 What Would Jesus Say? ***Since the slaying of the many young boys was associated with the trip of the astrologers, it is not logical that God led them to Jesus. If not God, then who did? It must have been Satan the Devil,

Herefollows a few quotes from the NWT :

[Luke 2:15 NWT] So when the angels had departed from them into heaven, the shepherds began saying to one another: "Let us by all means go clear to Beth'le·hem and see this thing that has taken place, which Jehovah has made known to us."
    [Matthew 2:2 NWT]
    saying: "Where is the one born king of the Jews? For we saw his star [when we were] in the east, and we have come to do him obeisance."

[Luke 2:9 NWT] And suddenly Jehovah's angel stood by them, and Jehovah's glory gleamed around them, and they became very fearful.

Whose star was it? His = Jesus'

Who gave them the message ? God through his angel

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Even as a child, I could never grasp how it was that Satan was able to put "his own star" in the heavens.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

the WTBTS puts its own bizarre twist on everything - and inside their world it makes sense. It isn't until I got some distance that I saw how nuts it all is. Was interested to read the Wikipedia entries about the Magi, and Marco Polo's story also. Now that I don't believe in one true religion I find it interesting that although the Magi were evidently a Medean tribe, they were also a priestly class that was found all over the middle east in ancient times, and the story of the magi in the bible then becomes a story of the interaction between different religions that had coexisted for a long time. Of course, the entire story in the Bible may be mythology.

• loosie
    loosie

Yeah killers that come bearing gifts....lol

• Scully
    Scully

The WTS knows that if it can get JWs to not observe holidays like Christmas or Easter, they can (a) downplay Jesus' role in the belief system and thus (b) elevate the Organization™ in Jesus' place and (c) convince JWs to do other things that the WTS wants them to do like alienate themselves from family members in favor of cult members and shun family members who do not conform to JW practices.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

It was just another scheme to make the JWs "special", and distanced from the rest of christianity ("christendom"..., lol). It`s in direct contradiction with the Bible, of course, but who needs the Bible anyway. The WTS sure doesn`t.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

This always bothered me too. I know the bible shows Satan is powerful, but this always seemed to give him glory to me. I could never believe that. This is another tangled web I am trying to unweave in my mind.

kitten Whiskers

• Zico
    Zico

Thanks AlphaOmega, Whilst I understand though, that saying Satan placed the star there is an unbiblical assumption, and I think the Wise Men were good guys, not bad like the Society teaches, I do wonder why 'Jehovah' would use a star and not an angel like he did in all other situations where he was said to guide someone to Jesus. It seems inconsistent.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

kitten Whiskers...

The WTS always seems to inflate Satan's power. My only explanation is that it is to instill greater fear in the congregation so that they feel the need to "run to mother".

Even though we may stil encounter evil in our lives, we have the knowledge that the Devil loses the battle.

[Psalms 23:4 NRSV]
    Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me...

Jesus showed us (on the cross) that it is sometimes worth APPEARING to lose the battle in order to win the war with the devil. God's vision goes further than the devil's and that the devil's nip on the foot is necessary in order to crush his head at the same time.

ZICO, Hello again my friend,

Maybe God used the star so that it is provable, either now or in the future. Isn't there some astrological event or conjunction of planets that is supposed to have been the basis for the star? The BBC did a documentary about it in their "Son of God" series, I think it was called "Jesus, The Real Story" in the USA.

Zico, am I going mad, or have you moved from the UK to the Russian Federation in the last few days????

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

What's going on with my formatting ???

I tried so hard to make it all one colour !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit