The WTBTS and Elders have too many stupid rules!

by RULES & REGULATIONS 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

I remember a brother (not elder/MS) who got one and the elders got all upset with him, that he could not have one. He kept it though.

I was in a congregation that forbid them to be put in the aisle after 3 older people tripped over them on the way to the restroom.

Image result for phylactery

In Jesus' time the religious leaders competed as to who had the largest of these.

Insight book

Jesus Christ condemned the hypocrisy of the scribes and Pharisees, who, in order to impress others with their righteousness, broadened the scripture-containing cases that they wore as safeguards. (Mt 23:2, 5) The Greek word phy·la·kte′ri·on,phylactery,” which applies to such a scripture-containing case, means primarily an outpost, fortification, or safeguard. These were worn, therefore, as a safeguard, amulet, or charm.

• Splash
    Splash

Hey, I used a pilots case like that when I was the TMS overseer!

You really do need something that size for all the books you needed in that job!

I once had a sister sit in the back of my car. I told her that I'm not her taxi, and if she wants a lift then she has to sit in the front. Sheesh.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    I never was an elder, but I did have the big suit case as I thought it was very useful to carry everything for my family. So, my wife and kids didn't carry anything, everything was in the big case.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Yeppers, they make the Pharisees look like amateurs!

• Garrett
    Garrett
    Sorry to hear, doc. :-(
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

stuckinarut2 - "...The term 'subversive' was used..."

Either the crazy's finally coming out of the cracks and creases...

...or the hardcore loyalists amongst the lower-level enforcers want to push the lukewarm rank-and-filers out even more badly than the GB.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I once gave a talk at the Kingdom Ministry school and I was lectured because I forgot to wear my tie.

As for book bags, I used to carry a huge suitcase like book bag in field service with a wide variety of literature. The Circuit Overseer advised me to carry a smaller one.

• Lynnie
    Lynnie

Yeah here in Seattle the rules seem to be very flexible and it depends on who you are! I thought single men and women weren't supposed to socialize or travel together without a chaperone but here apparently it's okay if you are an elder's daughter and you want to go on an overnight backpacking trip with two other single women and a man. These folks are in their mid 30's. I know when I was in 35 years ago that would NOT have been allowed. But I wasn't an elder's daughter either. So as usual in the WTBTS it depends on who you are if you have to follow the rules or not!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    Let's not forget: don't wear spanx, tight pants or colored sox. If you do, ToMo will be mad!
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    I think most JWs have hemorrhoids, those elders should have told you to get on that bandwagon, too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit