PRINCE: The virtual evangelist?

by Gopher 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

That was the heading of a section in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune's gossip column dated 8/12/01.

Prince Rogers Nelson, based in Minneapolis, is an internationally famous musician-composer-singer of the 80's and 90's. Recently he converted to the JW's. Here's an outsider's view of what likely was his attempt to "get his service time done":

Virtual evangelist?

While I've had no reports of Prince knocking on doors
    for Jehovah's Witnesses, he may be meeting his
    proselytizing duties in high-tech ways. A music
    insider reports that Prince reportedly has been
    e-mailing material of a religious nature. My insider
    had the opportunity to read an e-mail purportedly from
    Prince. My source couldn't follow the writings (but
    who am I to talk?) and, of course, insider doesn't
    wish to follow Prince's newfound appreciation for the
    Bible, which 'clearly defines the roles of men and
    women,' as Symbolina has previously stated. The
    writings my insider saw were gibberish, with all the
    words running together like one continuous word. More
    and more, people are getting the impression that
    Prince doesn't know who he is, as a musician and maybe
    a person.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I thought only the disabled and elderly got the "privilege" of alternatives to physically going out in field service. Why does the-artist-futurely-known-as-an-apostate get special treatment?

On another note, the presence of gibberish in a field service presentation does not necessarily preclude him from the ranks of loyal Dubdom.

• Shaneliza
    Shaneliza

Prince as a Witless......figures. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

My guess is that he admires the faith of his mentors at a time when he is no longer secure in his life. Therefore he hopes that by becoming like them, he will once again be secure, if he ever was. Been there, done that.

• Undine
    Undine

~Stephanus~

You called him: "the-artist-futurely-known-as-an-apostate"

HYSTERICAL!!!!!!!ô¿ô!!!!!!!!!

Undine

• JBean
    JBean

Call me crazy... but Prince is one of my favorite artists! (To the chagrin of my family, he appealed to my dark side!) I personally love his music... kind of disappointing now that the music might be watered-down. He'll definitely lose his edge.

• Hojon
    Hojon

I wonder if he takes royalties off his old songs that are no longer "acceptable" now that he's a witness. I'm sure plenty of witness teens in the 80s had to throw out their Prince records, I wonder how the Society feels about him making money off songs glorifying immorality?

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Undine,

I've seen so many music star conversions to Christianity which eventually come to nothing. Bob Dylan "backslid", Dan Peek (America) disappeared into obscurity. (Oh, and Barry McGuire did the worst thing - he changed over to country music!) I don't see Prince, with his strong-minded and eccentric nature, lasting too long in his new restrictive environment.

• Undine
    Undine

~Stephanus~

I fully agree with you. I wondered what ever became of Dan Peek...(Dewey and Gerry formed again w/out him?) Hmmm...and yes...Prince
    as a jw??? This stretches my imagination!!!

So, when you called him:"the-artist-futurely-known-as-an-apostate"
    it struck me as...Good humor!

Namaste,
    Undine

• Jimmer
    Jimmer

I'd give anything to see him giving a talk. The imagery blows my mind. You know, that purple suit getting out of his seat as he is introduced, "Please welcome the artist formerly introduced as the artist formerly known as Prince; Prince!"
    I'm sure he'll work in some prophecy about purple rain or something.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit