My Bethel Experience final chapter

by new boy 39 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Newboy, I enjoyed reading your bethel memoirs.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

"Wheels" as we called him, was my direct overseer along with Calvin Chyke. What a team of blowhards!

When they wanted to convert the presses to having dryers for the ink, we joked that we should run the web (of paper) up to their offices above us and save the electricity! They would dry it out, then run it back down to the pressroom. :-))

Randy

• greendawn
    greendawn

That's an interesting twist to the story Metatron, I didn't know they were exploiting so much the deferred status. But how exactly did their behaviour in that war period differ from their behaviour after the war ended?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

It seems like all this story is showing how much we have in common, and how true this stuff is (for you lurkers, since WT wants you to think that we are all liars). I mentioned "Wheels" in one of my "Journey" posts, and his suicide (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/129473/1.ashx). He married my parents. I wonder if they even know that he killed himself. As you mention, many of these "brothers" are not real friends to the congregation, just title holders.

tsof

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

These chapters have been very enjoyable. I'm sorry that it has to come to an end. But, please, if you remember some more stories that you want to share, please post them. Thank you for sharing your stories with us.

• metatron
    metatron

Here's how: They fanatically insisted on Bethelites staying for 4 years. However, hellhole that it was, many didn't. As the war wound down,

some brothers got high draft lottery numbers, so it was unlikely that they'd be called, even if they lost their draft deferment. If you left before

your agreed upon 4 years were up, they could forbid you from being a regular pioneer - which meant that you probably didn't stand a chance

with your draft board.

Anyhow, the 4 year arrangement simply broke down - with the Society calling in brothers who had been baptised for less than a year!

They had brothers stuck in Bethel who were little more than atheists - and hated the Society. There was theft and drunkeness, etc.

Finally, they "freed the slaves" one morning by announcing that all Bethelites would be brought in for a one year trial period and those

already there past a year could leave. There was mass applause and tears in some brothers eyes. Knorr fumed about it, having been

exposed as the liar he was , in claiming that everyone at Bethel was happy or thought it a "privilege".

metatron

• free2think
    free2think

Thanks New Boy for sharing your experiences. Reading your posts has been a real eye-opener as to what really goes on a bet hell.

free2think

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Thanks again NB. I've read everyone.

Dismembered

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

If you want more ditties check out my former Bethelites Guest book at:

http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/bethelguestlog.htm

Randy

• Prins Vaillant
    Prins Vaillant