We do not disfellowship someone who disapproves of the WTS

by onacruse 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• onacruse
    onacruse

Lady Liberty, scanned copies (.pdf formatting) of all the original Watch Towers from 1920 thru 1949 (and from which I obtained this transcription) are available through Research Applications Institute (see Randy Watter's site www.freeminds.org ), as well as a host of other books, the Informat, etc. Scanned copies of the Watch Tower reprints are available for 1879 thru 1919.

If you need just an article or two, I'll see if I can figure out how to do that here.

Also, as you know, proofread transcriptions of the Watch Towers thru 1916 are available from various Bible Student sources, and these appear to have been made from the originals (insofar as I have compared them to the reprints).

• onacruse
    onacruse

NathanN, now there ya' go, naming names with which I am only vaguely familiar!

I've often thought that it would be interesting to make a spreadsheet of the "major players" in the WTS, and see how the "guard" changed. In that respect, one thing that struck me is the father-son relationships at Bethel (thus, my interest in http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/129125/1.ashx). As you may well know, Moyle's son was at Bethel when his father was drummed out, and, in a Bethel showdown, he showed his disapproval of the action taken against his father. Later, he wrote a letter to Rutherford (printed in the Watch Tower), apologizing for taking a stand with his father, and against the WTS.

I can't imagine how many times that same scenario played out over the years that you mention.

• anakolouthos
    anakolouthos

Fantastic find! Funny how things change, eh?

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Pardon my ignorance, I've never been a JW myself, and joined this site when I became concerned about my wife being interested in them...so wtf are the "VDM questions"? Much of my knowledge of the JW doctrine is secondhand, though I did some studying myself to see what they were about, and I've never heard of this...is this some old tenet that has since been abandoned, or what? A quick Google search only netted me 2 solid hits, one about Eisenhower's parents being Witnesses (surprise there), and his father "passing the VDM questions", and the other was a talk forum where one of the posters listed as part of their credentials V.D.M. (verbum dei minister)...

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:cHU43dWpspcJ:www.eisenhower.archives.gov/listofholdingshtml/listofholdingsJ/jehovahwitnessesabilenecongregation.pdf+jehovah%27s+witness+vdm+questions&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

The points of difference seem to be with reference to the relationship of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society to the various ecclesias and to the church as a body, the VDM questions, and "The Finished Mystery" as the seventh volume of STUDIES IN THE SCRIPTURES. It has been claimed by some that these points are made conditions of fellowship. We first make a brief statement of the points and then deal with the matter more in detail.

Brother Russell finished his work in 1916. According to the order provided, an election was held in January, 1917, and officers of the Society elected. In October, 1917, a referendum vote was taken of the entire church for the purpose of determining who should constitute the servants or officers of the Society for the ensuing year. On January 5, 1918, the shareholders, duly constituted to cast the legal vote, convened, and in harmony with and in obedience to the referendum vote elected officers and servants of the Society. Opposition candidates were nominated and before the vote was taken three questions were asked each one thus nominated, and they were required to answer publicly before the shareholders voted. These questions were:

(1) Are you in harmony with the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society and its work, as provided by its charter and Brother Russell’s will?

(2} Have you answered the VDM questions?

(3) Do you accept "The Finished Mystery" as the seventh volume of STUDIES IN THE SCRIPTURES, as published by the Society?

• onacruse
    onacruse

AllAlongTheWatchtower:

Here is some information about the VDM questions (from the 1916 Watch Tower)(with some prefatory paragraphs that show the ambience of the times which increasingly led to turmoil in the 20s):

W 11/1/16 Reprints page 5982

Repeatedly Bible students write us that their elders try to hinder them from the use of the WATCH TOWER SOCIETY’S publications as textbooks in Bible study. Some of these elders go so far as to tell the classes that they are out of harmony with many of the things in these textbooks. Sometimes, as rulers, they forbid the use of these in the classes. We are asked what should be done under such circumstances.

We reply, Let those who wish to follow such leaders do so-that is their right. We shall wish them well. But let us not follow with them nor submit for a moment to such arrangements. It is the height of impertinence for such a leader to intrude himself in such a manner, and attempt to tell the church what they shall and what they shall not do. As the power of election is in the hands of the church, so the power of dismission is in their hands. We recommend that such classes vote to dismiss such an elder from his position of service, telling him kindly that his services are no longer desired. Perhaps with a back seat for a while, and an opportunity for thinking over the matter, he may be benefited himself, and the class also be greatly helped forward by taking such a stand-no matter whether there be no other person in the class able to address a public meeting or accustomed to leading classes. Far better would it be to appoint any one of your number to act as chairman, or to take turns in the matter of opening and closing meetings-anything to preserve your liberty and to continue the work of worship and study along proper lines.

Let us make a discrimination between the positive teachings of the Bible-the doctrines of Christ-and the slightly variant ways of expressing those doctrines. We are not to expect any two persons to use exactly the same words; but there are certain doctrines which are fast and immovable from the viewpoint of the majority of Bible students. Any one not in good harmony with those presentations should not be encouraged in the slightest degree, but, on the contrary, should be discouraged. If he has different views, do not persecute him-do not follow the style of the dark ages, but follow the proper course of letting him "flock to himself," or with as many as prefer to view matters as he views them.

We have not given such strong advice heretofore; but we perceive that many of the dear sheep are being troubled, hindered of development and imposed upon. We see that proportionately such elders and deacons are growing more bold, and hence the need is the greater that all who do have the right spirit, and who realize that, under the Lord’s guidance in our study of the divine plan of the ages, we have not been following "cunningly devised fables," should now take a positive stand for the good of themselves, for the good of the leaders who manifest a wrong spirit, and for the good of the public, who are inquiring for the way of the Lord as never before.

While we are encouraging positiveness and courage, we are not wishing to encourage a spirit of strife, or of nagging and fault-finding amongst the faithful servants of the Lord who do manifest the humble spirit and who do accord the class its rights and liberties and who seek to "serve well." Again we repeat, "Let nothing be done through strife or vain-glory, but all to the glory of God," and with the sole object in view of purging the church of the influence of those who never should have been chosen, or having been chosen in proper condition, have since manifested a perverted and ambitious spirit. Again we counsel for these positiveness, but kindness and, if they repent, mercy-with a view possibly to restoring them to confidence later on. The Apostle wrote, "I hear that there are divisions among you; and I partly believe it. For there must also be heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you." (1 Corinthians 11:18, 19) Here the division evidently must come; and evidently the sooner it comes, the better it will be for the truth and for all who love it.

We should never forget the Apostle’s instruction, "The natural man receiveth not the things of the spirit of God, neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Corinthians 2:14) Additionally, experience demonstrates to us that even after we have been begotten of the holy Spirit, our ability to understand spiritual things depends, not only upon our study of the Scriptures, which are able to make us wise, but also upon the measure of the holy Spirit which we possess. Hence the Apostle’s exhortation, "Be ye filled with the Spirit!" (Ephesians 5:18)

This means that only the spirit-begotten may understand the deep things of God at all; and that their understanding would be in proportion as they attain more and more a filling, a saturation with the spirit of holiness, the spirit of God, the spirit of Christ, the spirit of truth. Every Bible student should realize that if, as a new creature, he walks after the flesh and not after the spirit, his mind will become more or less darkened, and not only will his ability to understand the deep things of God decrease, but even his recollection of the Lord’s Word will decrease; and that, on the contrary, when he is living near to the Lord-walking after the Spirit and not after the flesh-his memory of the divine Word and his ability to appreciate its spirit are increased.

Additionally, let us remember that a correct understanding of the Lord’s Word is not enjoyed by all the educated and talented, but comes to those who are of a meek and teachable heart, who study the Lord’s Word and who live it and absorb its spirit. Thus we have illustrated to us the divine declaration, "Not by might [greatness], nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the Lord of Hosts." (Zechariah 4:6)

The lesson to us is that no matter how great, no matter how able any brother or sister may be, this will not make such fit to be a leader of the Lord’s people unless he have additionally the all-important items-first, a knowledge of the Lord’s Word; and second, the possession of a good degree of the spirit of truth-one who always dare be trusted as an ambassador of the Lord. None others should be recognized as teachers or leaders amongst the Lord’s people. It is the thought of churchianity that only the great, the learned, the talented, should be the ministers of the Lord’s Word; but the Bible’s presentation is to the contrary of this. "The spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because he hath anointed me to

preach the good tidings to the meek." (Isaiah 61:1)

It is in view of these things that we feel justified in urging upon the classes of Bible students everywhere that they esteem with double honor such elder brethren as manifest the spirit of the Lord, the spirit of meekness, the spirit of gentleness, the spirit of patience, the spirit of long-suffering, the spirit of brotherly-kindness, and the spirit of love-those who have a good knowledge of the Word of God and of the divine plan, and who manifest an appreciation of the spirit of truth, the spirit of holiness, and who have an aptness to teach; and that on the contrary, all others be refused.

THE VDM QUESTIONS

Long ago we called attention to the fact that many of the titles applied by the nominal church to their ministers are wholly un-Scriptural-Reverend, Most Reverend, Doctor of Divinity, etc. They are not only opposed to the letter, but also to the spirit of the Scriptures. We called attention to the fact that the words elder, deacon and pastor are Scriptural terms. We also called attention to the Latin title, Verbi Dei Minister (VDM), and stated that this expresses exactly the Bible thought that every representative of Christ who preaches in public is a minister of the divine Word-not a minister of human creeds or of self. All Bible students approved of God and of his people are of necessity Ministers of the divine Word-each according to his talents, opportunities and restrictions, as set forth in the Bible.

In view of the fact that quite a good many classes of Bible students seem to be not sufficiently particular in respect to the qualifications of those whom they choose as their representatives, we formulated a number of questions styled, VDM Questions, believing that the study of these questions would be helpful to everybody, and that the answers of them would help to mark out such as have a reasonable knowledge of the divine Word, and whose ministries, therefore, it might be hoped would be profitable and not injurious. These questions are not sectarian, but would be proper for any minister of any denomination. Neither are they catch questions, intended to trip up the unwary. They are simple bona fide queries, the answering of which should be helpful to each individual, and especially helpful in designating those fit to be teachers and leaders amongst the Lord’s people.

These we prepared and sent to the pilgrims-the traveling preachers sent forth under the auspices of the WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY, and to all representatives of the Society in any capacity everywhere. Next came applications

W 11/1/16 R5983

from elders and deacons in various quarters, and from others of the Bible students. Then we advised that the questions be studied and answered, as formulated, by all Bible students. We received many applications, and many of these have been filled out and returned. It is our recommendation to all the classes that any brother not able to answer these questions in a reasonable way be not considered a suitable representative.

In order that all Bible students may have these questions and note their simplicity, we publish them below. Brothers Sturgeon, Burgess and Stephenson have been appointed a committee to examine the answers sent in by the pilgrims. We have no doubt that every one of their answers will be found satisfactory as a whole. None will be rejected except for good cause, and this will be duly pointed out. By vote the New York City class decided that none should serve it as elders or deacons who could not give a reasonably satisfactory reply to these questions. We suggest a somewhat similar course in all the classes. The examiners of the answers could either be a committee from the class or, if desired, the Society’s representatives above mentioned, to examine the answers and give their criticisms upon request.

VDM QUESTIONS FOR ADVANCED BIBLE STUDENTS

(1) What was the first creative act of God?

(2) What is the meaning of the word "Logos," as associated with the Son of God? and what is signified by the words Father and Son?

(3) When and how did sin enter the world?

(4) What is the Divine penalty for sin upon the sinners? and who are the sinners?

(5) Why was it necessary for the "Logos" to be made flesh? and was He "incarnated"?

(6) Of what nature was the Man Christ Jesus from infancy to death?

(7) Of what nature is Jesus since the resurrection; and what is his official relation to Jehovah?

(8) What is the work of Jesus during this Gospel age-during the time from Pentecost until now?

(9) What has thus far been done for the world of mankind by Jehovah God? and what by Jesus?

(10) What is the divine purpose in respect to the church when completed?

(11) What is the divine purpose in respect to the world of mankind?

(12) What will be the fate of the finally incorrigible?

(13) What will be the reward or blessings which will come to the world of mankind through obedience to Messiah’s kingdom?

(14) By what steps may a sinner come into vital relationship with Christ and with the heavenly Father?

(15) After a Christian has been begotten of the holy Spirit, what is his course, as directed in the Word of God?

(16) Have you turned from sin to serve the living God?

(17) Have you made a full consecration of your life and all your powers and talents to the Lord and his service?

(18) Have you symbolized this consecration by water immersion?

(19) Have you taken the IBSA Vow of holiness of life?

(20) Have you read thoroughly and carefully the six volumes of STUDIES IN THE SCRIPTURES?

(21) Have you derived much enlightenment and benefit therefrom?

(22) Do you believe you have a substantial and permanent knowledge of the Bible which will render you more efficient as a servant of the Lord throughout the remainder of your life?

Note: It is, of course, expected that each person filling out one of these reports will do so from his own knowledge and not by inquiring for or copying the answers of others. The BIBLE, STUDIES IN THE SCRIPTURES and TABERNACLE SHADOWS may be consulted, however, and citations given.

• VM44
    VM44

(1) Are you in harmony with the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society and its work, as provided by its charter and Brother Russell’s will?

Rutherford probably answered "Yes" to this question, although it turned out he didn't following Russell's will at all! (He eliminated the Watch Tower publishing committee as provided by Russell and started publishing another magazine The Golden Age! This was expressly forbidden by Russell in his will.)

--VM44

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Thanks for the answer, onacruse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit