(Ex)-JW Terminology, is there a faq?

by kifoy 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• kifoy
    kifoy

Hi. My first post in this very interesting (indeed) forum is a request. I was born and raised a JW (and wrote the goodbye letter to the elders some 4-5 years ago), but I live in Scandinavia. That means I'm not at all familiar with all the English/US terminology and abbreviations that you use over there. So, is there a faq or something somewhere in this forum? I tried to search for topics regarding this issue, but the abbrev. and expressions are used so often in posts and topics all over :-) Here are some of the expressions that I've come over so far: DA, DF, CO, Aux. pioneer, dub, GB, PM, MS, FS, JC. And I'm sure the list goes on and on. Some of the expressions I understand the meaning of by reading the context, but some of them I'm still not sure of. And I'm sure that I'm not the only one to be puzzled. Even though it has only past a few years since I left the JW, I've forgot (suppressed?) a lot of the expressions I used everyday without a blink. When I come over them now, maybe when fizzing over a WT or Awake that my parents have sent us, I often say to myself: "Did I really use to say that?" :-) kifoy

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Welcome to the board - what part of Scandinavia are you from?

There should be an FAQ - lets make this it shall we? - I'll bet someone like Blondie is already busy translating - but I'll make a start and people can chip in as they please:

JC = Judicial Committee/aka elders kangaroo court where they get young girls to reveal initimate details of sexual experiences among other things

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I'm sure there's loads of abbreviations. I dont know of any faq's but feel free to ask anyone on here!

Welcome to the site!!!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Welcome to JWD!

DA = Disassociated, sending a letter to the elders saying, "I don't wanna be a JW anymore!"
    DF = Disfellowshipped, when the elders say, "We don't wanna let you be a JW anymore!"
    CO = Circuit Overseer, the dude that visits the congregation every six months
    Aux. pioneer = People that agree to put in a certain number of hours in a given month. It's gone down in recent years, not sure what it is now. 50?
    dub = shorthand for "Jehovah's Witness" (JW = Jay Dubya = Dub)
    GB = Governing Body
    PM = Private Message, accessible via the "Inbox" link at the upper-left corner of the screen
    MS = Ministerial Servant (step below elders)
    FS = Field Service, the door-to-door stuff

Also....
    FDS = "Faithful and Discreet Slave"
    R&F = Rank and File, the "just-publishers" portion of the Jehovah's Witness population
    borg = The Watchtower (from the Borg on Star Trek, and the Watchtower's constant use of the term "organization")

Dave

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Thanks Dave - very helpful!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Kilroy, welcome to JWD !

You may enjoy this humorous look at "a glossary of JW terms" written a few years ago by Farkel, a member on this forum.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/6021/1.ashx

• kifoy
    kifoy

Gopher: Wow. Thanks for the link :-)
    Crumpet: Norway.

kifoy

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

We have some great posters from Norway here - Kent and Norm. The rest of Scandinavia seems poorly represented on the board!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

oh and also there are rumours of an apostafest in or near Oslo later this year - you should try and go!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Welcome to JWD!! Glad you found your way here and even gladder that you decided to post.

Here's a link that you might enjoy: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/58215/1.ashx

-Aude Sapere (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Have Wisdom/Understanding)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit