These strange JW's

by OnTheWayOut 13 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So the wife and I have decided to take a short vacation. It will be during the Memorial.
    I know that the wife HAS to attend that, of course.

SO, I call around and get the phone number for the city overseer for the city we plan to
    go to. I ask about the language group- he gives me a phone number for the PO of the group.
    I leave a message "We will be visiting [your city] during that week and we need the time and
    location of your meetings- especially the time and location of the Memorial." Never hear from
    him, doesn't return the call after 3 attempts.

Next, my local cong. secretary says "Here's a text number for a sister in the group."
    I send her the complete text message, clearly asking for just the time and location of those
    meetings. A day passes by and she texts back, "Memorial is on April 2nd."
    I type back, "Yes, what specific time and specific address?"
    "I'll get back with you."

4 days go by. I send another message. She types back "I will have someone contact you."
    Another 3 to 4 days (Good thing I started early) and the phone rings.
    "This is Sister XXX from the [foreign lang. group]. You were going to visit us. Can you tell me
    your address in Chicago?" (I give it to her.) "When are you visiting?" (I tell her.)
    "Are you an elder?" (I pause slightly, but say the single word NO.)
    LONG PAUSE, I am about ready to break the silence when she speaks "Well, maybe we can
    help you, anyway."
    "Why, what's the difference?"
    "Give me your PO's phone number, I will pass it on to my PO."
    "I am sorry, what's that about?"
    "We just have to be careful."
    "What is it you are afraid of- if you don't mind me asking? All I want is the time and location
    of the Memorial and other meetings during that same week."
    "OH, okay, I will mail it to you, then."
    "But what was that other stuff about?"
    "I thought you were asking for a place to stay. Most elders do."
    "You mean the ones who come to give the public talk?"
    "Yes, but others too."

Was that just so bizarre? Had to type it out.

• carla
    carla

Why so reluctant to give you the info? For goodness sakes, don't they go around inviting every Tom, Dick & Harry to the reject Jesus memorial?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Why so reluctant to give you the info?

I was crystal clear that I only wanted location and times. The PO never answered
    and never passed it on to anyone. It was clearly HIS voicemail. The next person
    was texted, but answered back suspiciously. Even though I was clear, I think she
    passed it on to another because she didn't want us staying in her home, she didn't
    actually read my message, just passed the wrong information on to the next person.

If the PO had simply returned my call, these bizarre responses would have been avoided.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    "I thought you were asking for a place to stay. Most elders do."
    "You mean the ones who come to give the public talk?"
    "Yes, but others too."

Well, what happened to the worldwide brotherhood?? If your brother needs somewhere to stay, shouldn't you be ready and willing to let him in? I thought everyone dwelled in a Spiritual Paradise right now??

Weird.

I don't think we have that problem out here...

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Didn't you know that there are secret satanic government agencies who are always attempting to attend the meetings? These evil people don't have the intelligence to simply drive past the KH and read the times of the meetings.

Since you are coming from out of town and are unable to read the sign outside the KH, the JWs assumed that you were one of the evil stupid people.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    If your brother needs somewhere to stay, shouldn't you be ready and willing to let him in?

It's almost that simple. She WAS WILLING to let people stay in her home, but
    she assumed I was an elder. All she needed was my verbal confirmation that I was.
    Once I said NO, she needed to have one PO call another PO and check on me.

If you are concerned for your safety, check on anybody. If your home is open to
    JW's on their Dubness alone, don't screen out the non-elders. Welcome all JW's.

Bizarre is the inconsistency. It sounds like they honor managers. Maybe they are a cult.

• carla
    carla

Maybe they are a cult.---you think?

• richard
    richard
    I ask about the language group

Could it be some misunderstanding since you specifically mention 'language group'?

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Paranoia is so much apart of the whole jw experience. I'm sure, right now, the governing body is working on getting the entire religion a group discount on clozapine. I can picture it now. They'll send out a km insert with a list of approved pharmacies and recommended times of the day to pick up your prescription. Entire families will be shunned because they chose to go to Walmart instead of Target. Others will be considered weak for going during the busy noontime rush instead of the society recommended late afternoon.... HA HA HA!

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

How strange! Bizarre. I thought the whole point of inviting new ones to Memorial was to welcome strangers into the hall and thus be most accomodating to do just that. But...nooooooooooooo....you might be Osama bin Laden.

BP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit