My Bethel experience

by new boy 58 Replies latest jw friends

• xjwms
    xjwms

It was 1970, .. going into 1971, when I wanted to go to bethel.

One elder talked me out of it. Told me I was'nt strong enough to go.

reviewing all of this, ..... whew.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Thank you for sharing, newboy! And everyone else.

Please post part II!!!

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

As a kid my Mom was always taking me there since we lived in NYC. I wanted to go badly. But my eagerness even as a kid to ask questions sunk that. How lucky I was I could never have guessed at the time.

I know what you mean about the laundry. When they began the commuter program, my girlfriend went in and was assigned to the laundry. She was a hard worker, but the laundry sapped all of her energy. As much as she loved Bethel, she hated the laundry.

tsof

• juni
    juni

Thank you so much newboy for sharing your personal story. Unbelievable!!!! It sounds like a house of horror! 15 minutes to eat? etc. etc. etc.

Juni

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

As Anitar pointed out, I think we have our proof as to which way of life is more satisfying. Bethel can put out all the propaganda that they want to, they are letting people go and others are quitting. I remember even in the mid to late 1970's when Bethelites left and came home to the congregations, there was no joy in their eyes. They rarely talked about Bethel and seemed happy like they were getting out of prison. Now we know that's exactly the case.

What a crock of BS for the GB to hold Bethel and missionary service up to the world as so desirable. Why would any sane person want to live like that? Malaria infested areas, no sanitation, dirty water, etc. That's why people try to move to the USA, isn't it?

I think the dam is starting to crack. Once it does, there will be no stopping it. WT, your days are numbered. It's about time. You've had over 120 years of lying, slander, rape, snotty behavior and violating all the Bible rules. Your arrogance knows no bounds. When you fall off the ladder, don't expect anyone to catch you. You thumbed your nose at the world, now you can suffer the consequences.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Our congregation's ambassador to Bethel came home in terrible shape. He eventually lapsed in and out of insanity and finally he stayed there and was institutionalized. His father worked as a night watchman in a packing house but made sure the Tuesday bookstudy was at his house. He died young and his wife committed suicide by drowning herself in her home bathtub by tying a cement block on her own neck after we went home from the bookstudy one Tuesday night.

Our Witness life was struggle punctuated by tragedy.

• juni
    juni

My god Gary. Sounds like the Bethel curse affected the whole family! Sad.

Juni

• nowisee
    nowisee

hi new boy.... i notice you have been on the forum since 2002. what made you decide to tell your story now? what took you so long? best wishes, nowisee

• new boy
    new boy

To now I see

Well I really haven't posted that much in 5 years............because I come and go. I 'm in the posting mode lately......thought when I first left that I should write a book about my life as a JW.....but I think just about everyone feels that way. That their experience is somehow different. So this is my way to have fun with my life experience............and get this writing bug thing of my back. LOL

• onacruse

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit