My Bethel experience

by new boy 58 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

New Boy:

I find it frightening to read what you said about how they required somebody to be in full time service for 14 years before they could be married. This is rather unnatural and sounds to me like "going beyond the things written". They are fond of saying how christendom's celibacy is unscriptural. Well, what about them?? Sounds like a horrible experience. No wonder so many ex-bethelites clam up when unwary people in the congregations ask them questions about their bethel experience.

You call this a privilege? I would run away in the middle of the night.

LHG

• new boy
    new boy

To long hair girl

Some did leave with no notice........one guy ate lunch, packed and left with no notice....

The shortest bethel stay was 20 seconds. One "brother" drove up on his motorcycle, as Bob Lang (bethel office) was walking across the street in from of the 124 building. He asked Bob "Is this bethel?" Bob said "yes it is".............He said "great I'm here to report in" Bob said "is that your motorcycle?" He said "yes, why?" Bob said "because you can't have one of those here"......"no?"......NO! "O.K".the brother said "BY"............and drove off............lucky guy. P.S. no bikes were permited either.

To Mysterious

At the time time, we paid $14 a month plus $7 travel allowance. So after working almost 48 hours a week, many of us (those that got no money from home) went out and gone part time jobs.....10 to 20 hours or more, a week........Believe it or not one friend of mine Dave Borga had a FULL time job, besides bethel. He didn't last long at that pace.............What did we do with the extra money?.......Most of it was spent on FOOD and of course BEER!

• greendawn
    greendawn

"I find it frightening to read what you said about how they required somebody to be in full time service for 14 years before they could be married." That was if they wanted to be allowed to stay at Bethel after getting married. But the bethel as described by New Guy gives the impression of being a military camp with the laundry being the place of punishment.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Sounds familiar new boy!! I arrived there in 1974 and it wasn't much different. I was just lucky I got to work in the Pressroom and later as an floor overseer. We made our own fun, which I am documenting starting in the current issue of the Free Minds Journal, and later probably a book. When I became floor overseer on 3-6 in the factory, we developed an elitest attitude (just to have fun with the others who were so straight) and anyone from the other pressroom floors that crossed the bridge was subject to random hazing by 6 or 7 press operators. We printed the Bibles so that meant we had a lot of "make-ready" time on our hands with the presses being down, so we were ornery. But I came to really love a lot of the brothers there, as I felt bad for many of them, so far away from home and without girlfriends, etc. My best friend Lewis Williamson from Kentucky and I worked in the pressroom, and we once took a trip cross country to Calif. and stayed at his house in a hooler in Kentucky, then on to Arches National Park in Utah, and finally camping out and backpacking in Yosemite National Park.

Yes, there was racial fights and name-calling, swearing, smoking and evn homosexual activity going on (somehow I missed noticing that). That changed when they went from 4 years to 1 and Knorr died, the awful old fart he was! Freddy was a nut job, as well as Klein and a couple of others, not to mention the overseers. Wheelock was a pain in the butt (he later committed suicide) as were many other overseers. I have some interesting Bethel Pages at: http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/bethel.htm and you can find our secret apostate scrap book at:

http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/toons/cabeen.htm

There is Quak's Caricatures at: http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/toons/quak.htm and was done by the nephew of Colin Quackenbush, once the editor of Awake! magazine until Knorr and others got jealous of his popularity. You can see a view from my penthouse 10tth floor room facing the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan with twin towers at: http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/viewbethel.jpg

Lots of stuff there. I actually liked Bethel for the first seven years, but the eighth year was the Franz incident and it got really Fascist then, had to leave after documenting as much as I could. It changed Bethel for good after that, really strict. Too bad.

Randy Watters

Net Soup! http://www.freeminds.org

PS Good to hear from you on this board! We might have emailed before.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Also, if you would like your full story on Freeminds.org under the Bethel section let me know [email protected]. I know you are already in the Bethelite Guest Log at: http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/bethelguestlog.htm

yours,

Randy

• RAF
    RAF

Too funy ... (the whole JWlike explanation)

alt

• codeblue
    codeblue

My son who is shunning me has a JW best friend that went to Bethel and he told me he learned everything that is bad at Bethel like: seeing R-rated movies.....getting drunk...etc..... Talk about a great place to go.........I think NOT!

Codeblue

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I had just ordered Barnes Notes on the NT and it arrived in my room the day they banned it from the Bethel library!

Barnes Notes

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Then a GB member (think it was Klein?) made this ridiculous statement! I had to write all this crap down as it was so crazy.

Tom Cabeen was my overseer and close friends with Ray and Cynthia Franz, so I found out what was going on every day behind the scenes. I was known as "Watt". Peach was Jim Petrie.

Watt and Peach

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Damage control as many leave...

alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit