Debaters: Let's have It Out !

by Amazing 124 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Way back on page 2, Narkissos resonated with my thinking:

My opinion is that there is none -- neither institutional continuity, nor creed, nor scripture, nor experience are beyond valid criticism -- and ironically the endless struggle of the alternative "foundations" have helped in making that clear to all. But -- still imo -- the very principle of "faith" is the opposite of the search for foundation (fundamentalism in the etymological sense). It is walking on the sea, not on solid ground.

My background, I was raised in the United Church (a poor attempt to consolidate, IMO. All we ended up with was weak compromise) and as a young woman, converted to a bible-based evangelical church. I liked it's dynamism and certainty. I've been to Anglican, non-denominational, Celebrant, semi-JW, and Catholic weddings and funerals. My favorite was the Celebrant, which stayed away from all religious nomenclature and celebrated the person. I appreciate the symbolism and ceremonial trappings of the Catholic ceremonies. I think they involve all the senses, making the protestant rituals look barren in comparison. The worst funeral I ever attended, however, was high Catholic. The priest, brought in from another diocese, knew nothing of my poor friend who died. He mostly complained about being brought in at the last moment. The ceremony was about the supremacy of the Church, not at all about my friend. It was awful.

I am no longer so certain, but I enjoy an active church. I am no longer satisfied with any church that sublimates the person in favor of the ritual.

So I would ask, Amazing, in the practice of the Catholic church today, if they are representing the best that Christ modeled for us. From what I have seen, they do not.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Q,

I could not have been any clearer than the fact that the denomination you belong to simply is not as important as some believe it is. None of them have full authority over all Christians in the world. There is no earthly priesthood any more, Christ our High Priest did away with the need for continual sacrifices. Why would you want to become enslaved to the old ways again?

This thread shows WHY I am anti religious establishment. People begin to believe that the denomination THEY are in, is the only correct one. And its funny you are saying that I am giving a restricted view of the scriptures? You are the one trying to establish an earthly priesthood complete with rituals again by one or two biblical verses. When almost all of Hebrews shows there is NO earthly priesthood anymore for believers.

As far as you pushing the views of the Mormons, the point is that you are trying to reject the RCC teaching of thier priesthood and authority over all Christians and yet you do not see that you have to apply the same standard you are using to judge them to the Mormom church. And the only reason you are trying to reject the RCC teachings is so you can say that the Mormons are correct. You have already said the Mormom church is re-establishing the priesthood on earth. What is that supposed to mean then except that you believe they are the true priesthood?

Someone said Christianity divides people. I think this is the wrong view. It is not Christianity that divides, it is man who promote one denomination over another that divides. Each denomination wants full control over all Christians. Christians need to understand that the church is not any one denomination but the totality of all Christians thru out the world who are united in the Spirit by Christ. It is a very simple arrangement really when you come down to it.

Where would you go if you left the Mormon establishment? The answer is you do not have to go to another organization, it is to the person of Jesus Christ that is where you should go. He is the way, life and the truth. All Christians united in him are in the true faith. I feel sorry for you that you cannot see this because you will not be free in Christ until you do.

Peace, Lilly

• exjdub
    exjdub

That's a little disingenuous. I come at this as someone who claims a living relationship with someone, rather than a religious heritage. I didn't accept Christianity out of either fear or a need for comfort! Further, I'm not that unique, in this regard.

Not disingenuous, just an opinion.

Ross, I respect the fact that you claim to have a personal relationship with Christ and I would not attempt to convince you otherwise. I just always find it interesting when someone says they have a personal relationship with an entity that is surrounded by so much mystery and confusion and then offer up the bible and Christianity as the only way to life after death (not that you have said this categorically, however as a group I believe this is the general consensus of Christians)

I think you might see if from a different perspective if someone were to start a thread about extra terrestrials and a debate ensued about the history and succession of aliens down to our day by a group of people who all felt that we should accept the aliens as our guides and spiritual advisors. Although you may accept that an individual claims to have a personal relationship with the alien, or aliens, I think you might raise an eyebrow if the group were to debate how to worship the aliens properly and that the only way to life everlasting is to submit to the aliens. It all seems so arbitrary and subjective.

To watch a group of people, who claim to have had a personal experience with Christ, debate apostolic succession and bible verse just seems to be a futile exercise because there never seems to be any agreement amongst the group, other than to state the "we are all bound by love and a belief in Christ."

I have had some "enlightening" (for the lack of a better word) through meditation and exploration that is very powerful and profound. But I wouldn't try to state for one moment that everyone should accept what I say as the way to life everlasting. I also would not feel that anyone that did not believe as I did is going to miss out on some wonderful experience at the "right hand of God".

I think any time you start out with a premise that acceptance of a certain entity as the only way through the door of "life everlasting" you have already limited yourself. This seems to be the downfall of many Christians. They just can't let go of the concept that they have the only doorway to life.

exjdub

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Since the spiritual house is supposed to be holy, then how do you explain the concept of the wheat and the weeds?

First, was that parable originally about the church? In the Matthean interpretation the field is the world (13:38).

Second, afaik any (interesting) Christian theology implies some form of dualism (god/man, spirit/flesh, already/not-yet, righteous/sinner, etc.). Why would the "church" be exempt? Isn't it ironical to see Evangelicals claim that the worst of born-again sinners cannot "lose their salvation" and at the same time refusing the identification of the "invisible church" with any concrete gathering of people? The core of the issue is Protestant / modern individualism (which has grown dramatically from Luther to pietism, for instance). As has been repeatedly pointed out, the concept of body (the resurrected Christ being the church) is much more central to Paul than justification -- especially if the latter is reduced to an individual issue.

how do you determine the correct understanding? Do you use the "longevity of tradition" argument that I make for the RC ( even though, itonically I'm not RC )?

Being where I am (post-Christian rather than Christian) I don't feel the need to choose. However, if I play the theologian my answer would definitely be (surprise?) sacramental. I think Luther gave the best possible answer when he said (approximately) that wherever the Gospel is preached and the sacraments are administered, there the church is. Of course I would define "Gospel" and "sacraments" much differently, but I'd keep the pattern I guess. "Non-sacramental Christianity" is an empty shell (of which JWs are a caricatural example).

jgnat,

I'm not familiar with "Celebrants". When you oppose the "person" to the "ritual" do you mean the person of Christ/god or the person(s) of the believers (or both)?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

exjdub / Didier:Strange as it might seem, and although I wouldn't necessarily use those precise words, I entirely agree with all your points.

I qualify that, only for other readers, by addressing exjdub and saying that I understand your use of the term "entity" here and in that context I agree. I approach "Christ" from another context, in which those words wouldn't be appropriate, but I agree with your general point.

As for the sacramental approach, I agree that this is where the body of believers gather. Theologically it is encumbent on believers to gather in some way around the sacraments. This is one reason why I lead a religious life, even though I clearly see the faults and failings of religion. Communal worship is at the heart of such a life, and brings an individual closer to (and contrawise, can repelfrom ) the business end of dealing with the Divine in a wider context than that of the mere individual.

• Amazing
    Amazing

LT and then Restrangled:

LT:

In your opinion, how do you identify the anti-christ?

I don't know for sure. Some things suggest it is a singluar agent or person ... and some suggest it is a generalized anti-Christ development throughout society at large. I just simply do not know for sure ... but my guess with the rise of secular humanism, coupled with the rise of radical Islam, there is not much room left for Christ.

Luther managed to strain out 95 points of contention that he felt needed reforming, but that is set against a backdrop of hundreds of points of agreement. The mainstream denominations have at least 95% agreement, and on the most important topics, to my mind.

Good point.

The usual arguments concern abuse of power and nitpicking details of the sacrement of the Eucharist and baptism. Of all of these the Eucharist is probably the most contentious. Would you like to tackle transubstantiation (which to most people is merely a very long string of letters)?

What part of transubstantiation is confusing to you? Perhaps I need a new thread to tackle this one - no?

Restrangled:

I will admit I have read very little here but question any organized religion.

Me too. I did not expect 105 responses. And I am going in and tackling ones that have core issues and concerns. Yours is one of them.

With The RC church there has been the torture and murder of anyone questioning it's authority, along with denying the science that have proved them wrong for centuries.

There are two issues here:

1. Torture and murder. Perhaps specifics would help. The RC church does not approve or engage in torture or murder. The Inquisition was a situation that went out of control. It was not ever approved by the Church, but it was still wrong. This does not remove the mantle of authority from the Church, nor the rightness of her teachings. It means that bad people did bad things. They were absolutely wrong. An excellent source for thing kind of dirt on the Church is the New Advent Catholic encyclopedia. The RCC is quite open about its errors. And where justified, they also give more accurate accounts that mitigate or exaplain away what have been blown into larger than life legends. The RCC still has the Office of Inquistion, by the way.

2. Denying science: Some of the accounts and claims surrounding Galeleo are myth of the kind that I inferred above. However, the Church burned itself on this topic, and has since learned to behave and accept science as it is revealed. Today, for example, Catholics can and do accept the science of evolution. I do, and I do not feel threatened by it. That is how far the RCC has come. Whereas many Protestant churches, especially the Evangelicals and Fundamentalists, fight evolution tooth and nail.

There is the question of Hell Fire which now has been denied by a pope.

Hell: I have not reexplored this with the Church so I am talking somewhat blind. I grew up in the RCC believing in hell. I stopped believing in hell as a JW. Upon reconciling with the RCC, I still do not believe in hell. Those I have talked to in the Church say that nowadays, hell is simply eternal separation from God. That sounds as good as any idea to me. The Bible is not really clear, because it uses such loaded language in deep symbolism.

There is also the problem of their pedophila within the ranks.

Pedophiles: There are pedophiles in all churches, cities, counties, states, nations, provinces, territories cultures, societies on this planet. They have always existed, and will continue to exist. The problem with the RCC is that a small number of her Priests are pedophiles. The RCC Bishops were dead wrong in simply shuffling them around from parish to parish. However, a few lawsuits later, and the RCC in the USA got its act together and put a stop to it under a zero tolerance policy. The Church has never stopped or threatened or abused any Catholic for reporting the problem to the authorities. Since the zero tolerance policy was enacted, one bishop I know of still did not get it, and shuffled a pedophile priest around. That was exposed and stopped. Catholic participateed openly in condemning the pedophiles and in demanding the RCC do something. This is the correct way that a healthy church cmmunity should deal with this kind of problem.

There is the question why they supported and hid Nazi criminals.

Nazis: The RCC no Roman Catholic as a church never supported Nazi criminals. You may want to bring out specific situations and lets deal with those directly. As for the Pope, he was surrounded by both Nazis that were stations in Italy, as well as the Italian Fascist. Hitler himself wanted to terminate the Papacy, but used better tactics to try and work something out with the Pope. This resulted in the Concordat. This requires more discussion if you like. I believe that Catholics who fought in Hitlers military were wrong for doing so. However, what migigates their decision is that many, if not most, did not know about many of the war crimes. But, I believe that the Pope should have told Catholics to not fight for Hitler and then urged Catholic to leave Germany. Perhaps had that happened, we could be talking about the Jewish-Catholic Holocaust.

So as hard as we are on the WBTS, this group seems much worse. I am no Watchtower apologist, but I cannot tolerate lies and deciet from other religions either.

Watchtower: Much of the Catholic sins are deep in the past, and subsequent generations of Catholics have turned things around. The Watchtower did an excellent job of brainwashing JWs to believe that a religion has to be perfect, except when they themselves make mistakes. The people of God, whether Jewish or Christian, Protestant or Catholic, are sinners. If we judged a faith by the bad deeds of her members, then we need to start with the House of Israel. King Saul, its first king was evil. Even the prized King David was a murderer and adulterer. And the story continues. St. Peter, the first Pope of Rome, himself denied Jesus Christ who was in the process of being falsely condemned and executed, dying for our sins. Find a bad deed anywhere, and I will show you a sinner, whether Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, or plain-jane atheist.

The Dichotomy: While no one can deny the wrongs committed by the RCC (only perhaps mitigate some of them or give a more accurate presentation) the RCC has also produced many saints ... people like Mother Teresa in our own lifetime. I grew up in the RCC where I was exposed more to this kind of Christian than to the bad guys. I reconciled with the RCC, not because I justify her bad, but because I find more good, more freedom, more responsibility to correct the bad. The problem with the Watchtower is not that they had done bad ... rather ... there is no proper vahicle to correct the problems.

Jim Whitney

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Ok - despite my work colleagues pointing out I'm an obsessive plonker I'll remount the soapbox.

LL - You can't let it go I understand. You cannot read my responses without adding the words Mormon and LDS before each sentence. I cannot remember saying in this thread said that the LDS position is better or worse (and if I have sorry). I've tried to keep on topic and discuss a specific element of the RC church while responding to a point I vigorously disagree with regarding the absence of organised authoriy. You can avoid organisation believing your part of the body of christ, it is of no weight or matter to me nor should it be - I respect your choice.

LT - This isn't a pity parade - I don't ask for pity in my beliefs what I do ask for is balance and you have taken a tack unusual for you. Its not a weakness to express opinions that sometimes tow an official line and sometimes explore areas of doubt or maleable thought IMO. You suggested that you didn't think that there was any succesion principle or that anyone had handed anything on - I apologise for asking for clarification ignore it if you must. If you see a similar weakness in the LDS claims feel free to start a thread about it. As for my views on the bible I respect it for a totally different reason than you but I also see the butchery that is done to the text by historical error, myth insertion and the unskilled goggles of our modern day cultural spectacles. If you feel that we can agree using the bible alone then I salute your optimism.

Both of you do not understand the LDS position RE organisation (and I wouldn't expect you to) and our view of the Priesthood - I suspect there may be direct similarities with the RC viewpoint:

Qcmbr's abridged outline of his thoughts on the Priesthood.

"The Priesthood is manifest wherever God calls a servant (and in the vast majority of cases this is male) and ordains them to such. The ordination is always physical by someone already holding that power. Wherever the priesthood is found so the sacraments of baptism, breaking bread and water and the baptism of fire by the Holy Ghost are found. There are many circumstances where the priesthood has had no central earthly leadership and collpases down to the localised element of region or tribe or family or sole adherant. Whenever there is a meeting of priesthood holders there is a general deferance from one to the other (Abraham - Melchizedek, John - Jesus) so that an order establishes itself. Multiple churches can/have and do exist that are cut off from one another and are not listed as one single entity (7 churches of Paul, Kingdom of heaven separate from here, Northern Kingdom of Israel and Southern Kingdom, lost tribes of Israel etc..) but are united in the same authority and Priesthood. It is even possible for one branch or organised church to receive greater knowledge than another due to righteousness(City of Enoch) or to receive different instruction personalised for them (Paul's letters) but they ultimately then are brought along to the same position on faith and knowledge."

I don't think in this statement I have strayed outside of the bible, employed LDS examples or used terms unacceptable but I await correction.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Jim:Funny how a RC and a Reformer can be so agreeable, huh? Everyone thought we'd be calling each other heretics

I'm ok on the transubstantiation, thanks. I have a good understanding of it. While its a bone of contention to many, I'd rather say "lets just get on and break bread!"

Q:
    You certainly are obsessive, to the point of not reading responses properly. You appear to have got it into your head that I can't see the man beyond the religion, which is blatantly untrue. On the other hand you appear to think you know my beliefs rather well, yourself

There's no need to start a new thread about LDS weaknesses, as this one was started with that inclusive option available.

If its any consolation, I don't find the LDS organisational structure entirely unreasonable. Thank you for your precis of the Priesthood. I am acutely aware of loaded language, though, having spent over three decades as a JW and having had numerous discussions with LDS Missionaries (the office of which I am aware you once held - which I state merely to highlight my interest in you, rather than by way of denigration).

The Priesthood is manifest wherever God calls a servant (and in the vast majority of cases this is male) and ordains them to such. The ordination is always physical by someone already holding that power.

I'm well aware that, while the language is left open, it is normative for there to be a smug acceptance that they will almost always be LDS. The JWs use similar speech when talking about Armaggedon survival being by God reading peoples' hearts. This view is supported by the fact that the argument will be made that any other claimants to apostolic succession belong to a broken line due to unrighteousness. The new line is alleged to have been resumed by Joseph Smith, in being ordained by the appearance of a risen Christ.

While I again acknowledge that the language is left open, in what circumstances do you think it is at all possible that someone outside of the LDS would be of said Priesthood? And if they could prove Apostolic succession, would it be inferior or superior to that of the Joseph Smith line? Which branch would defer to which?

It is even possible for one branch or organised church to receive greater knowledge than another due to righteousness(City of Enoch) or to receive different instruction personalised for them (Paul's letters) but they ultimately then are brought along to the same position on faith and knowledge."

So you don't actually have any real issue with different people being taught at different rates by the Holy Spirit, then? And there I was thinking that that was your primary accusation against the Protestant denominations!

In case you're wondering, I'm enjoying this conversation immensely, even if you do feel that I'm being a little heavy on you. I would be grateful if you would correct any statements that I have made that you believe to be factually incorrect.

Respectfully yours,

Ross.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

This is a general question for all the denominations (but especially those who have ordained priests of any kind!). I'd never really thought that much about it until this thread and now I is confused!!

Is a 'priest' simply a servant of God or is it an office whereby special privileges/powers are bestowed on a person?

If both descriptions apply, is it possible to combine the two and how?

How can all Christians be called 'a royal priesthood' if there is the concept that ordained priests have special authority/power over and above ordinary Christians?

Are there two classes of Christian - priestly and ordinary? Maybe the WTS aren't far wrong on this matter after all...

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Actually I do apologise LT I did misread Amazings initial premise and thought it was specifically about the RC. My fault entirely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit