Debaters: Let's have It Out !

by Amazing 124 Replies latest jw friends

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    nd I will let the Lord Jesus, who I accept as My High Priest, sort everything else out when he arrives. Peace everyone!

...right.

did the Lord Jesus need to see you write that? or do you just fling that stuff around for kicks?

talk about getting the last word in, Lilly! wow. LMAO!!!!

tell me, is the "my" in "My High Priest" capitalized because it's the title of something? or because there is a special something between "My" and "High", that eludes the rest of us?

tetra (of the "high and priestly" class)

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Tetra,

The whole point of me saying that Jesus is my high priest whom I accept is that I don't believe I need earthly priests to intervene for me and offer some kind of sacred "sacrement" or "sacrifice" on my behalf. But I am not saying he is only my high priest. He is the High Priest for all who believe in him. The capitalization was not intentional. And I am sure the other believers on this thread knew exactly what I meant. Lilly

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i'm sure there were too. and i'll admit: understanding it is a HUGE part of it. har har...

tetra (of the "whole point" class)

• Amazing
    Amazing

Farkel,

Gawd! I finally found a topic that would get you to post again ... in full Farkel style ... welcome back!

You simply cannot shine shit. Why bother?

Shit can have a glint and glow of a shine if it is moist enough.

Those religions are ALL flawed, very human and very stupid.

Aren't we all?

They all (to some degree) base their philosophy on a very flawed, very human and very stupid book that some uninformed people think is sacrosanct.

This is why I like Catholicism ... the Bible stays in the background.

I piss on it. It is the most disgusting guide book ever offered to mankind, ...

Piss away ... but as I see it, it is not the Bible, but what people have done with it that can be disgusting.

... except for the Koran. Now THAT book is worth pissing on by incontinent elephants!

Shhhhhhh ... be careful, you could ignite a world riot and cause JWD to get burned down by really true believers ... not to mention a few heads that may roll.

It's is truly good to see you again ... now, you have work to do to turn me back into an agnostic again. See what happens while you are away on the mountain carving out new commandments ... we take up religion ... and I am ready to be a Catholic priest.

Jim Whitney

• restrangled
    restrangled

Amazing,

I will admit I have read very little here but question any organized religion.

With The RC church there has been the torture and murder of anyone questioning it's authority, along with denying the science that have proved them wrong for centuries.

There is the question of Hell Fire which now has been denied by a pope.

There is also the problem of their pedophila within the ranks.

There is the question why they supported and hid Nazi criminals.

So as hard as we are on the WBTS, this group seems much worse. I am no Watchtower apologist, but I cannot tolerate lies and deciet from other religions either.

Perhaps this has already been addressed, but its my 2 cents.

r.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

LT - having woken up this morning hoping against hope that both you and LL would stop the LDS thing I find that apparently I'm using a string vest with holes and that the new testament scriptures used to show examples of authority are actually my attempt to prove the LDS. Sheesh - stop the madness I want to get off.

LL - stop it! - if you want my defence of the LDS faith you won't find me doing it from the flawed bible alone - I hate reasoning from that divider of christians - we all have our favourite quotes and proofs and yet the book cannot be used to effectively clarify anything since we never can agree on what even one verse actually means. Take of your anti-LDS specs and actually think about what I posted and then you can see that my points are simple when I say you can see evidence of organisation I do not say 'mormon' organisation, when I say that there are orders of priesthood I do not say 'mormon' priesthood. You merely put forth another gospel yourself by your own personal reading of the scriptures - on a strict reading of the bible there is plenty of scriptures that condemn your view and support the RC church, you and I would be stuffed if the RCC actually have the correct biblical interpretation - all our personal interpretations where we deny their authority would then condemn us because we preach them - when you or I interpret scripture against one claiming authority from God we must be darned sure we aren't arguing the wrong side of the fence.

LT - you have not yet put any convincing effort to answering the claims of apostolic succession or authority RE the catholic church. You said you reject the need for it and I am interested in a clearer reasoning behind that rejection.

If I was ever to leave my faith (assuming I still believed in the christian God) I would be left with two choices of church to follow - either the Roman Catholics or the Orthodox Catholics because no one else has any claim IMO to anything more than their own interpretation and I don't buy the spirit fell upon me and that's enough because I've discussed with enough 'spirit filled' christians to know they disgree radically on their own personal godview with the 'spirit-filled' christians down the road.

The following scripture shows at least one biblcal record of how unity is achieved within the body of Christ. First of all we have one body - not any group believing what they will (else what on earth was the point of Paul's letters of correction), one Spirit (can the spirit speak lies, apparently if the differing beliefs held by spirit claiming christians is to be believed ergo the spirit they claim isn't what they think lest we call God the author of confusion,), one baptism not a plethora(born of the water - and no I don't take the strange reading that that means being born from the womb since that would be as sane as saying except a man breathes he cannot get to heaven - being born of the water describes a chosen act.) The saints would be perfected and the gospel would be taught in a unified manner by those called of God, which structure had titles associated with the different structured roles and one critical part of that unity was a unity of belief so that made up doctrines of men are exposed and our personal interpretations of scripture get done away with.

(New Testament | Ephesians 4:4 - 14)
    4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
    5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
    6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
    7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
    8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
    9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
    10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
    11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
    12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
    13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
    14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Read it how you will and find the scriptures that will undoubtably disagree with this but I think the RC church has a good claim to legitemacy here - if as I labour the point - they can claim and show the transmission path of their authority.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Ross,

I disagree

I'm not sure with what... need another I guess

The analogy of being living stones in a spiritual house (1Pet.2:5) and a nation (1Pet.2:9, and others) surely permits such a rendering?

Which rendering? "Invisible church"?

I think the debate "visible vs. invisible" church creates a false (and by all means unpractical) dichotomy -- which constitutes a sort of convenient strawman from the Protestant perspective. Moral persons such as the RCC, LDS, JWs, the Republican party or General Motors can all be described as both "visible" and "invisible". The structure is what matters, and the notion of "visibility" is pointless as far as a structure is concerned. The "great (supra-local) church" becoming conscious of itself (or herself?) in Ephesians or 1 Peter is not fundamentally different to me.

I'm going to dip into good old Covenant Theology here, and suggest that the contract was for a hereditary possession and had religious links only insomuch as the object of devotion was the same God. That surely doesn't speak of a specific denomination amongst those vying for position in the religion known as Christianity? Whilesoever a denomination meets the basic criteria of the NT (especially pertaining to "love") shouldn't it suggest that they are included?

Covenant theology (or meta-theology) sounds a bit like "new wine in old wineskins" to me... Yeah I know that's not an argument but I have a feeling that you'll get what I mean.

Raising again the Pauline issue of the tradition of the apostles, was this ever actually written down by them?

I'm not sure if your emphasis is on "written down" (vs. oral) or "by them" (vs. "original apostolic authority" as a retrospective fabrication by a later generation, as I suggested).

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Restrangled:That seems to be a very black and white view of a historic tapestry, given that they also produced Mother Theresa. I guess for similar reasons I can't join the Navy - they had a terrible history of killing people, slavery and b*gg*ry of cabin boys!

Q:
    You're sidetracking the discussion again. S'ok, I was taught to do that as a JW, so I know how deep the training can be. In particular I state this concerning:

...used to show examples of authority are actually my attempt to prove the LDS.

For the third time - I never laid such a claim. Your sensitivity to comments about your own faith, when used as examples to you, seems to be causing you to conclude that we all think you're trying to promote your own faith. That isn't the case, so stop making this personal and distracting the discussion from the main debate that currently appears to be the doctrine of "Apostolic Succession" (regardless of denomination). Besides, a pity-party for one isn't going to get you anywhere, it just puts chum in the water. I'd use examples from the JWs but they don't believe in the doctrine.

you have not yet put any convincing effort to answering the claims of apostolic succession or authority RE the catholic church. You said you reject the need for it and I am interested in a clearer reasoning behind that rejection.

More reading comprehension problems and side-tracking. I never said any such thing. I simply see no convincing proof that the Apostles passed on their authority to an individual each, or that there's some kind of unbroken chain. If you want to take the view that their successors were all the people that became believers then I might be more agreeable but I don't find the idea, that a single (or even twelve) individual[s] today exclusively has that power vested in them, finds a firm basis in scripture.

I do find it interesting that you find apostolic succession a key article of faith, and yet conveniently dismiss the RC claims because of some unstated apostacy allowing Joseph Smith the opportunity to take up the claymore. Somehow you dismiss all claims to fallibility in your own leaders while featuring the failures of the RC Popes. If you hadn't been raised in your faith do you truly believe you would think all of this?

Per your quoting of Ephesians, I agree with you concerning the unity in the body just not your identification of the body as a specific (in this case LDS) faith-group. I hold that the Body of Christ is united in Spirit but, as with everything that goes the way of fallen flesh, expresses that in a plethora of ways. It was the same in the First century where there was one "church" but a variety of beliefs concerning the minutea. Nowadays we are just more likely to take a more precise label for our beliefs concerning minutea. We still take the communal title "Christian". Ironically God seems to have no problem permitting it. Hence I believe that Augustine stated this best: "In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, diversity; in all things, love!"

If I was ever to leave my faith (assuming I still believed in the christian God) I would be left with two choices of church to follow - either the Roman Catholics or the Orthodox Catholics...

That sounds like the old JW line of "if I left the JWs, where would I go to?" instead of properly quoting Peter's words where he said "Whom would we go to?". Another parallel? You have come to the right place. They've done a good number on you! (and before you get your knickers in a twist, it was stated tongue-in-cheek)

I'd like to take up a couple of your comments to Lil:

if you want my defence of the LDS faith you won't find me doing it from the flawed bible alone - I hate reasoning from that divider of christians

A little bit of LDS contempt for the Bible thrown into the mix? At least you're open about it! How do you think the church survived before Joseph Smith came on the scene? If, as you highlight, "God is not a God of confusion" then how do you explain His permitting centuries of believers to be so confused by such an inaccurate couple of "Testiment"s?

...when you or I interpret scripture against one claiming authority from God we must be darned sure we aren't arguing the wrong side of the fence.

Are you talking about the God of Moses in the wilderness or the God of the NT or some other God from a more modern "Testament"? Are you truly claiming to be a child of God, or do you continue to be afeared that God condemns you? I think I'll take my chances with Daddy, since the Holy Spirit (whom you seem to eschew as being able to teach anything to individuals) informs me that He already loves me (Rom.8). Meanwhile you seem to have spent months on this Board dancing between your own opinions and a strict party-line.

Some genuine questions for you:

• how do you identify a modern-day Apostle?
    • how do you determine the accuracy of Holy writ?
    • how do you confirm the accuracy of the interpretation of holy writ?

Oh, and lest you think your faith is excluded from the debate because Jim is RC, allow me to remind you of some of the comments in his opening post to the thread:

So, Let's have it out ... let's post all the concerns, issues, claims, and even nasty remarks against the RC Church, Baptists, Presbyterisn, Angelican, Episcopal, Methodist, Non-Denominational, Pentecostal, Assembly of God, Mormon, Church of Christ, Free Bible Students, Dawn, and whomever else you want to criticize.

He opened it up completely; you joined the fray of your own free will; kindly don't call foul; feel free to get your own back. To that end I offer that I predominantly attend a Presbyterian denomination

Didier:
    Yes, I'm still chuntering on about the "invisible" vs the "visible". Since the spiritual house is supposed to be holy, then how do you explain the concept of the wheat and the weeds? I guess I'm quite taken with the Ecumenical umbrella title of "Christianity" rather than the specific denominational titles. However even here there is a potential for being overly strict against Rom.2:13-15: "(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)"

Covenant theology (or meta-theology) sounds a bit like "new wine in old wineskins" to me... Yeah I know that's not an argument but I have a feeling that you'll get what I mean.

LOL

I'm not sure if your emphasis is on "written down" (vs. oral) or "by them" (vs. "original apostolic authority" as a retrospective fabrication by a later generation, as I suggested).

I have have proof for neither position. So in the absence of said proof, how do you determine the correct understanding? Do you use the "longevity of tradition" argument that I make for the RC (even though, itonically I'm not RC)?

• exjdub
    exjdub
    if you want my defence of the LDS faith you won't find me doing it from the flawed bible alone - I hate reasoning from that divider of christians - we all have our favourite quotes and proofs and yet the book cannot be used to effectively clarify anything since we never can agree on what even one verse actually means.

That is the crux of the matter. Christians can't agree on one verse, so how can they possibly maintain that the bible is a clear guide to worshiping God? If the bible were that clear, or "inspired", then there is no way there could be this much confusion or disagreement. I don't say this to be difficult, or to cause trouble. I say it from the perspective of someone who tries to read everything they can, including an entire thread about something I no longer believe in, just to keep an open mind. I have seen nothing that would change my view of Christianity, or the bible. It is all still a myth that people cling to for comfort, or out of fear.

exjdub

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    Christians can't agree on one verse, so how can they possibly maintain that the bible is a clear guide to worshiping God? If the bible were that clear, or "inspired", then there is no way there could be this much confusion or disagreement.

Alternatively, people down through the ages have had their own experiences with the "Divine". Some chose to record them, and later generations canonised those works. The same process goes on today.

Maybe one day someone will dust off an old archive of JWD and canonise it - Gawd help us!

It is all still a myth that people cling to for comfort, or out of fear.

That's a little disingenuous. I come at this as someone who claims a living relationship with someone, rather than a religious heritage. I didn't accept Christianity out of either fear or a need for comfort! Further, I'm not that unique, in this regard.

I say it from the perspective of someone who tries to read everything they can, including an entire thread about something I no longer believe in, just to keep an open mind.

Good for you! I think we all need to take this approach.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit