Any Auto Mechanics here?

by sandy 26 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

I too think that over $400 is pretty pricey. It might pay to shop around a little. I had this going on for quite a while on my Porsche911, and I don't think even its MAP or O2 sensors are that high.

However, in my case, the valve guides were pretty much shot, so it cost me about 6 grand for a whole top overhaul. Hope you get out of this for a lot less than that!

• justsomedude
    justsomedude

Ok, the MAF sensor does measure the volume of incoming air and has nothing to do with O2 exhaust readings.

$400 sounds about right depeding on your car, but as mentioned check your local junk yards and autozone/checker stores to see how much you can save by just buying it yourself. It shouldnt take much more than a screwdriver to replace it and if you post a pic of your engine I might be able to point it out to you.

• sandy
    sandy

Thanks everyone you've been so helpful.

I just called auto zone and they carry the part for $250.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

Sandy : trust me your local auto junk/wrecker yard sells that part for about $100 . trust me i work at one. and they garantee it . for 30 days. remember john says talk to your local auto wreckers. they always love to help ladies. and most times will guide you right and save you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ i just got a 97 mitsu galant today . some lady was dying to junk. clean as a whistle, pretty sure all it needs is a water pump and radatior. and new timing belt about $500 labor. and i got a nice car low milage . last week i got a 63 chevy nova no rust. been sitting in this old ladies garage since 1969. only 40,000 miles. i'l;l be driving it in a month. your local junk yards are a motorists best friends, and they love , and care for you for less $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. john p.s we allways are extra nice lady costomers with out ripping them off.

• sandy
    sandy

I'm a little hesitant to go to the junk yards b/c I have no idea how to tell if the part is good or not. Plus I really don't have a whole lot of time.

But I will look online for local junk yards and make a few calls. Thanks

• gcc2k
    gcc2k

Go with autozone. If it doesn't fix the issue, you can return it. You will likely notice more power too.

• zev
    zev

"air flow meter" and "O2 sensor" are not the same part.

sandy said "air flow sensor" and that part goes in the air cleaner ducting,

the O2 sensor goes in the exaust or manifold.

i wouldnt use a "used" part for either if you have the money, that being said, if you don't

and it will get you by, use the "used" part for now but be aware that you'll need to replace it again, only allot sooner.

• zev
    zev
    Go with autozone. If it doesn't fix the issue, you can return it. You will likely notice more power too.

thats another way, and usually autozone has really good warrantys. also try calling some other parts stores and see what they get. some things to have handy when you call are the year, make, model, and engine size. do you know if its a 4 or 6 cylinder and how many liters it is? these are things that you should have at the ready when you call. take it from a parts guy. although i do VW parts in a VW dealership, its all parts and when i get a call for a part and the person on the other end cant even tell me what kind of a VW they are driving, it can get very fustrating. just my helpful 2 cents

• gcc2k
    gcc2k

Oh - if you want to go used, look at www.car-part.com. It searches junkyards. Keep in mind that a used MAF is risky, make sure they give some type of guarantee.

• gcc2k
    gcc2k

Yeah, zev knows plenty about faulty MAFs if he's a VW guy :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit