Any Auto Mechanics here?

by sandy 26 Replies latest jw friends

• sandy
    sandy

My Nissan Sentra (2000) failed the smog test. The "Check Engine" light has been on for a few months now.

I just had it checked out this morning and I was told I need to replace the Air Flow Meter Sensor.

The estimate was $400 for a rebuilt-part and $600 for a brand new one.

Does this sound right? Can somebody explain to me what this part's function is?

Could it be the cause of my car losing power? Do you think that after I fix it I'll pass the smog test?

Thanks.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Sandy,

That prognosis sounds acurate to me. O2 sensors are pricey.

Dismembered

• zeroday
    zeroday

Your oxygen sensor senses how much oxygen is being mixed with the gas as it goes into the engine. The engine can adjust the amount as needed. If the sensor does not work you can be getting to much gas and not enought oxygen causing your car to produce alot of polution that's why you failed the smog test.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Sorry, but I have to point this out:

The "Check Engine" light has been on for a few months now.

Did you check the engine? With what result?

• Satanus
    Satanus
    Air Flow Meter Sensor.

It sounds more like the sensor for air volume in the air intake.

S

• sandy
    sandy

Thanks for your replies.

The mechanic checked the car with some small machine that gives them codes, I guess poiting out the areas that may be in trouble.

Is it called a diagnostic kit? I'm pretty clueless with all this auto stuff.

Thanks again.

• heathen
    heathen

If you've never changed the sensor on your car then most likely it needs it . The O2 sensor needs maintenance at about 20k miles usually. Not replacing it can damage the catalyitic converter . As long as they hook up a computer they can tell by the codes what is wrong with it so there is no more changing parts and guess work .

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

sandy : that sound a little high priced. if it's the air flow meter. that runs off the intake air. i would guess that part used from your local junk yard or auto wreckers. would be about $75-200 dollars. most likey about $100-150 AND IT'S a screw in part. about 10 minutes labor. call your local auto wreckers and price the part. also call your local auto parts store and price the part. labor on most any sensor should not be more than one hour $60-100 per hour. try to never use parts from the nissan dealers. as their prices are very high. i'm guessing your problem should not cost more than $200 or so. check around and try an other mechanic. john

• heathen
    heathen

really you might be better off finding a friend that knows how to change it . The air flow meter on my car only costs aound 60 bucks the o2 sensor less than that and bother are generally easy to replace . It does depend on the vehicle and I can see you live in california so the cost is going to be higher than in texas .

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yah, dealers can charge 10 or 20 times as much for some parts as jobbers/aftermarket parts houses do for the same. Get a price from them, and maybe get an undependent garage to do the work. If you go to an independent, they may insist on supplying the part, making some profit on it. Dealers are crazy, sometimes, about prices.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit