"My Christian Quest", by Ron Frye -----I just finished reading. GOOD!!!

by garybuss 32 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

Ron and I crossed paths in our Jehovah's Witness days but never met then. Ron and Mavis lived and worked in Minnesota and I lived in eastern South Dakota and ranged into Minnesota.

Ron tells of the start of the BRCI group, the help line, and he mentions the Witness pioneer spinster sisters who were the sisters of my first cousin's husband. He also mentions a Witness family who befriended me and helped me when I was just out of high school.

I first heard of Ron when I read Ray Franz's book, In Search of Christian Freedom in the early 1990's but I didn't meet Ron personally until I went to a meeting in Spokane, Washington in 1997. I respected Ron's writing before I met him and I liked him personally after I met him.

Ron and Mavis both welcomed my wife and I into their home and we have happy memories of those meetings.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I just finished it to. Truly a great book.

Coffee

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

thanks for the recommendation, gary

• nowisee
    nowisee

i ordered it last week but only sent $10!

• Paisley
    Paisley
    i ordered it last week but only sent $10!

I hope ya get it!

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

If for any reason you don't want a book mailed to you, a Christian bookstore can probably order a copy and you can pick it up. I remember when I decided to purchase Ray Franz' books, I ordered it from a local Christian bookstore. I was so paranoid that I looked all over the parking lot to be sure that no witness saw me going in or leaving. That may sound weird to some people, but it demonstrates how mentally captive we can become--ordering that book was quite a milestone after 42 years of captivity.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Gary, is it in any way proselytizing or promoting fundamentalism? I want to read it but wouldnt be ale to swallow it if its preachy or promotes another form of bigotry.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi Blue,

The story is about a religious shipwreck and recovery. I'm about as non-religious as anybody on the planet and I liked the book a lot.

Just think . . . after you read it, you'll have something else in common with ME:-)

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I don't know what the 'standard' price is for the book, Gary, but Ron told me $12.50 with shipping. Mine is on the way. I look forward to reading it.

Jeff

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Well, Gary, that makes my day !

I'll order it today. I like to read a lot and don't always agree with what I'm reading but like to see the other side of things.

But when it comes to religion, I've just about had enough of "well-meaning" (read: judgmental fundie types) people shoving things in my face and saying, "You gotta believe this or else!" So I wanted to be sure it isn't one of those... I don't WANT or NEED to be saved, thank you very much.

I hope it comes fast. I'm almost done with what I'm reading now!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit