daft fashion question

by Ellie 21 Replies latest jw friends

• becca1
    becca1

I don't get the vest part. A camisole would work well though.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

VEST TOP!?!?!? NO!

No vests EVER if you're a woman,,,PLEASE!!

Of course you're english, and this could mean something completely different to you than it does to me, but you put a horrifying image in my mind of a VEST TOP under a shirt?! aggh!

Is it possible to just get a few new PROPER SHIRTS to adjust to the difference for now??? I mean, congratulations on having the baby on recently,,, makes it even a little more urgent for me to insist emphatically,,,NO VESTS! There is now a young mind that is highly influenced by its mothers choices in garments! Don't misuse that kind of power! NO VESTS!!... say it five times every morning you wake up!

I'm so glad you posted that question! I hope I've helped avert a fashion catastrophe!

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

ok, I had a visceral reaction to the mention of vests and now i've had some soothing tea.

Let me qualify a bit. What you've described is SHORT sleeve shirts....and I suppose they button up and down the front since you said you would wear them "open." FIRST MISTAKE! Short sleeve shirts that open are not kind to either sex in my opinion. Then wearing a VEST underneath, I cannot even fathom this.

However, SOMETIMES vests are ok. For instance, if a woman is wearing a Classic suit mirroring mens suits' tailoring, with the trousers, blazer, etc, then a well tailored fitted button up vest is appropriate and can look fetching.

A suit-style vest OVER a LONG SLEEVED OXFORD STYLE COLLARED shirt that is well tailored with trousers can ALSO look fetching.

L.L. Bean style woodsy vests that zipper up and down and people have worn OVER their shirts look idiotic IMO. I have made this fashion mistake in the past, I admit.

But, a vest top under an open SHORT SLEEVE shirt is a recipe for disaster as I am picturing it in my mind.

Now, I'm sorry to be so hard on you, but its important to me and the community around you that I fully disclose my feelings on the issue.

The very word VEST conjures firstly in my mind homemade multipattern attrocities with loud colors worn over busy strawberry patterned turtlenecks.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

smellsgood, these are vests:

Are you thinking of something else?

I think a vest top under a shirt sounds fine. Wasn't layering the last word this season?

• Ellie
    Ellie

Oh no, now I'm confused, what should I do, Smellsgood seems like he/she knows what hes talking about but you 2 girls FE203Girl and Fullofdoubtnow are both British and so know what I'm talking about.

Smellsgood, I was thinking of wearing a vest like the ones FE023Girl has shown underneath a military style shirt, the shirt is black and the vests are black and white.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I think smellsgood was thinking of this:

which, in English, is called a bodywarmer, gilet, or waistcoat. I wouldn't recommend wearing one of those under a shirt.

• Ellie
    Ellie

hahaha as if, I know I'm hardly a Trinny or a Susannah but I wouldn't dream of it Fe203girl.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I thought you were talking about something like a 'waistcoat' too and just couldn't get an appropriate image of it.

I even started to doubt fullofdoubt's taste and style.

LOL. NOW I see the difference. What you were calling a 'vest' in america we would be more likely to call it a 'camisole' or maybe even a 'tank top'.

Both would look fine under an open shirt. But a 'vest' or 'waistcoat'?? Ummm No.

GLAD Fe203girl sorted us out!!

Congrats on the baby!

-Aude.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

OMG! LOL!

That is WAYYYYY different than what I had in mind Fe203girl!!!! I'm so glad it WAS just a cockup with regards to terminology! That is NOT what I know as a vest, but like AudeSapere said, a camisole or a tank top!!!

In that case, that would look perfectly fine under another shirt, go for it Ellie!

Ahh, the misunderstandings that happen through an international medium! That's why I said "trousers" and not "pants" because I know you Brits call underwear and not trousers "pants."

Thanks for posting and setting my mind at ease Fe203 girl!!

• dobbie
    dobbie

Ellie i wore my shirts with vest tops and it looks fine, plenty of others do too in the summer its not worth buying a whole new wardrobe of clothes when you'll be back in your old ones before long. They're handy to wear under jumpers in the winter too, i think its a great idea debbie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit