The Bible, Religion and your point of view

by The wanderer 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

A spiritual guide that became obsolete with the Quran, which in turn has become obsolete.

carmel

• Arthur
    Arthur

Almost Atheist did a splendid job of expressing most of the feelings that I had about the OldTestament even while I was a JW. These were feelings and observations that I had to continually suppress and try to ignore for many years as a Witness; while going door-to-door telling everyone how much I loved the Bible.

I know that this may sound blasphemous, but I believe that most of the Old Testament is not worth the scrolls it was written on. I believe that many writers and redactors ascribed qualities to God which are reflections of the warped and twisted psyches of the ancient priests and religious leaders of the time. The book of Joshua is a perfect example of such sociopathic qualities that were assigned to God. With the exception of Psalms and Proverbs, I believe that the Old Testament is among some of the worst literature ever to be written.

The Gospel accounts are a totally different story however. I have a deep respect for the teachings of Jesus Christ. I believe that Jesus was one of the most profound spiritual teachers in human history. A man of true love for the human race, and compassion for the downtrodden. He looked upon the intrinsic value of each individual instead of focusing on their appearance or current behavior. The difference between the Christ and the God of the Old Testament is like night and day.

I believe in God; and consider myself a Christian in that I do my best to follow the teachings of Christ the best that I can.

• heathen
    heathen

I believe the bible has a message for mankind but has also been tampered with by mankind . It's obvious that most religions are fairly clueless and confuse most of the bible , they like to use it to manipulate or control . Tell somebody they have an immortal soul that will deep fry in hell for eternity if they don't support your cause and presto we have a brainwashed fool .Some of the bible does make it sound like that may very well be the case but it is obviuosly a scare tactic .

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I'd nominate the 4th century collating of the bible canon as one of the most disastrous turning points for humanity. There were plenty of screwy religions to take your pick from before then but they all tended towards a natural rise and decline as generations were born and died. One particularly screwy faith - christianity - was different.

By codifying it's religious touchstone (rather that say relying on the oral transmission of legends and beliefs) it established something more permanent. It's still crap but now it's persistent crap.

Oh how the muslims and mormons have learned from this!

• Borgia
    Borgia

Let your yes mean yes. Simply as that. It is something that is found througout human society in every culture old and new, sophisticated and advanced till simple and backward. Now image someone holding the bible and saying that he will tell the truth, nothing but the truth so help him God.......

The GB holds the bible in the one hand and says to tell the truth.........yet, history has proven them liars. So what does that tell us about holding a bible and making an utterance (ex cathedra).....

Sorry, Richard. I find this, although a fascinating and maybe an endearing gesture, one without meaning and solidity.

Apart from the fact that people have put at risk their lives, well being and posessions in order to even read only parts of it, does not make it truth.

The same goes for people prepared to risk anything on their search for knowledge. It only makes the ones surpressing search for knowledge and truth to be dispicable.

Although the NT may be of some influence on a personal level towards higher moral, the OT clearly is not. I consider that part to be cruel and dark, filled with petty revenge and inconsistencies.

cheers

Borgia

• gumb
    gumb

You know it is amazing that the WTS accepts the decision of the fourth century 'catholic' church that the books making up the NT is the word of God. As for me I would trust those early clerics any further than I could throw them. Its all a matter of trust (ie 'faith') and I don't trust them or the ancient Jews who wrote the OT. But I do believe in a master intelligence governing the universe and the need for a set of basic ethics for living ones life in harmony with others. Why should anyone accept without question what was written so long ago and particularly give their obedience to anyone who comes along and says they speak for God? Can't God speak for himself?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The Bible is not a very good book to base ones morals on. The Bible shows itself to be genecidal towards those of a different religion, intolerant of the religious differences of others, the old testiment god is murderous, jealous, vindictive, self centered, and very petty when it comes to punishment for not following his laws about such mondane things as dress codes, rest days, and dietary restriction.

I would never recomend the bible as a role model to imitate, for it smacks of religious bigotry, and narrow mindedness, which is a primary cause of trouble in the world today among those of different religious beliefs. It is full of contridictory claims that God is Love, and shows him to be very intolerent, vengful, and easily upset by the short commings and mistakes of others. Torture and cruelty abound in its pages as a warning to others not to displease this god or else the same will happen to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit