The Bible, Religion and your point of view

by The wanderer 16 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer
    The Bible, Religion and your point of view

Depending on where you stand regarding this subject there can
    no disputing the influence of the Bible in art, literature, and even
    in the influence of the making of common laws.

Separating the Bible and Religion

This topic is not focused on discussing the Watchtower's viewpoint
    or any other religious viewpoints regarding the Bible. It's primarily
    focused on the book itself.

Your viewpoint regarding the Bible

Some on this board may view it as a great literary work, and others
    may view it as a history book, or time piece of sorts; and still others
    as the inspired word of God.

Regardless, of how an individual feels about it, human society
    still regards it with some measure of decency and respect.

Why else would they want you to place your hand and swear
    on the Bible in a court of law if it did not carry some measure
    of respectability?

Questions to consider

• Generally, how do you view the Bible?

• Do you respect it as a great literary work,
      history book, or the word of God?

Please add your thoughts and
    comments for a lively discussion.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I believe the bible to be God inspired but written by men. And therefore they wrote from thier perspective. While I respect the bible and believe the principles in it are sound - I do not hang onto every letter of it as if God wrote it with his own hand. I also recognize the fact that much of the interpretation of it is subjective and will vary from one person to another. I feel you have to read it and decide what meaning it will have in your life.

That being said, I am still basically what you would call a Christian belever but for me this means being a follower of the teachings of Jesus Christ. I also believe that faith and spirituality has nothing to do with religious institutions. As far as religion is general - I can either take it or leave it. Lilly

• proplog2
    proplog2

It is very clear from this discussion board that we are caught between two stories. The old Bible one. And the modern scientific story.

• daystar
    daystar

I view it as little more than an epic of sorts, much like Homer's Odyssey, though taken as non-fiction.

It can be a moral guide, but so can pretty much any other book if taken as an illustration from a supreme being.

There are gems, to be sure, but so are there in William Shakespeare's body of work and they're much easier to understand!

• My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW

ditto what lovelylill wrote

Most valuable/important part for me is the message from the Sermon on the Mount

Believe its between the individual and the big guy/gal in the sky...religion and rituals not needed

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Briefly, without trying to get into any arguments, I accept the Bible as the Word of God. The hard part is correctly interpreting it. I also liken it to an onion, in the sense there is a meaning ( obvious ) but as you peel back the layers ( study/prayer ) other things come to light. And, at different times in your life, scripture can take on different applications particular to you or your needs ie. certain meanings seem to be evident. Did that make any sense? Ha. Anyway, that's my opinion.

Outaservice

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I've never seen the Bible as any great literary work. It's virtually unreadable in some places, dry as all get out in others. There are some pieces that have literary value, and they are probably much better in their original languages.

There are some stories that are interesting. There are also some stories that are extremely disturbing. "No, please don't rape my visitors. Here, rape my daughters instead!" *shudder*

As a moral guide, I think it's ambiguous. It promotes polygamy, then doesn't. It shows heroes going to prostitutes. It shows double-standards in punishment, with one man being executed for collecting sticks on the sabbath, while a king lives on after murder. The moral guidance it provides is actually provided by the people interpreting it, pulling out the things they think are good, and leaving behind the things that they think are bad -- a moral "stone soup". A reasonable moral code could easily exist without the Bible.

I don't like the divisiveness it promotes. If you see a sign that says "God hates fags" you can bet it's held by a guy that got his idea from the Bible.

It provides the basis for holding back stem cell research, and prevents people from learning about evolution. (Few would question the science of evolution if it didn't happen to conflict with the Bible's idea of creation.)

Personally, I think the history of man would be less bloody, more peaceful, and more enlightened if he hadn't been visited by this book.

All my opinion, of course. Your mileage may vary.

Dave

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I like AlmostAtheist's comments

It promotes polygamy, then doesn't. It shows heroes going to prostitutes. It shows double-standards in punishment, with one man being executed for collecting sticks on the sabbath, while a king lives on after murder.

All of the above is shared by me.

A reasonable moral code could easily exist without the Bible.

It does exist outside of Bible-influenced areas.

Here's my take on the Bible:

When Cyrus returned Hebrews to Israel, this group of YHWH worshippers seemed
    to have their god's favor, because they had permission to rebuild the temple in Jerusalem.
    People in Israel started worshipping YHWH above other gods. The priests decided to write
    a set of laws for the people- IN ORDER TO CONTROL THEM, GET THEM TO GIVE
    DONATIONS TO THE PRIESTS- as priests ALWAYS want that.
    Later, the priests gathered all the legends and stories of this culture, re-wrote or
    recorded them for the first time. Most may have been anonymous, some were given
    famous names as authors to give weight to their sayings. As time went on, a bit
    more re-writing when people did not like a story, or when it was discovered that one
    thing contradicted another, adding famous names to more and more writings.

Many things that were supposedly written as prophetic of Jesus Christ were actually
    about WISDOM or were about THE KING of ISRAEL/ JUDAH being the son of God.
    (It helps to flatter the king.) These were re-written again and the person spoken of
    became generic, remove the name since that king is dead. Over time, these came
    to be accepted as GOD'S WORD.

These YHWH worshippers were great at editing or writing- but no better than many
    writers today. They combined some stories with contradictions in them, they sometimes
    clearly made the moral point, and sometimes not so clearly, and sometimes did not
    make a moral point at all.

As for Christians, Jesus was a Jew who knew his Hebrew scriptures. He decided that he
    needed to ride into Jerusalem on an ass to "fulfill" prophecy, and claim other stuff, too.
    When he was executed, instead of running scared, the Apostles/ Disciples decided to
    continue the charade. Besides telling tall tales, they wrote tall tales, consulting their
    Hebrew scriptures. Matthew and Luke did not even get their stories exactly the same.
    Luke neglects to take Jesus thru Egypt. Perhaps that flaw was discovered after Luke's writings
    and a trip to Egypt was added by Matthew (probably not the actual writers). Otherwise,
    similar to the Hebrews, they edited their stories and got the gospels. Paul's letters and other
    letters (if indeed written by the named authors) were never intended to be GOD's Word, but priests
    (yes, priests again) re-wrote them and elevated their importance.

I posted this info before, but I really think you needed to know, Wanderer.

Of course, I could be wrong, and God inspired it all- he just wants us to be confused until we
    dig deep into it.

• Navigator
    Navigator

As far as I'm concerned the Story of the Prodigal Son tells us everything we need to know. The rest is superfulous.

• hambeak
    hambeak

I believe the Bible to be the work of God but man has interpreted it to his advantage, causing hate and war in many cases. For myself it gives an outline for a way to live decently and consequences for not doing so. I especially like the proverbs and when Jesus summed everything up in his sermon on the mount.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit