The Great Taboo Discussion---Suicides among former Jehovah's Witnesses

by The wanderer 84 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer
    The Great Taboo Discussion— Suicides among former Jehovah's Witnesses

To write about this discussion neither appeals to me nor does it make me feel comfortable to discuss it.
    However, it is necessary to consider in light of all the trauma, negative experiences, and personal traged-
    ies that have happened to individuals on this board.

(What inspired me to write this subject was a bone chilling account
    left on one of the previous threads that fused my spine.)

Some on this board may have thought about it

It is probably safe to say that some of us did think about it during
    one low point in life while associated or leaving the organization.

That is not to say that we would carry the action out—only that
    we thought about it.

Do you recall of anyone taking their life because of the organization?

Again, this is probably one of the hardest subjects to deal with and it is not a pleasant topic
    of discussion and so I wish to extend an apology to anyone who is sensitive to this subject.

However, the question that needs to be considered is:
    Did you hear or know of anyone who either attempted
    suicide or took their own life because of the Watch-
    tower Bible and Tract Society?

Please post and share your comments so that we
    all may learn of these sad and personal tragedies.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Guess you know there was someone on the board.

Slim

• rebel8
    rebel8

In approx 1980 we had a triple murder+attempted suicide in my cong. A bro murdered his 2 unbelievably sweet little children and wife, then went to the gas station, poured gas on himself, and tried to set himself on fire. I think he was sent to prison or died from swallowing gas--not sure which.

The elders were gossiping about it, claiming he was "babbling" about the jw religion and how much he hated it right before the tragedy, the bros tried to calm him down and they thought it worked. In the gossip they claimed he must have been scizophrenic, "which is from demons". (Perfect example of why the bros should not pretend to be mental health professionals. Or police.)

The borg flock seemed to care much more about the "bad witness" they were getting in the media instead of the incident itself. We were not allowed to talk about the incident or ask questions as to why it happened.

To top it all off, the triple funeral was not attended by many dubs because it was not in a kh and it was an hour's drive away. Coldhearted & totally sick!!

• Warlock
    Warlock

I personally know of 2 who did committ suicide. 1 did so because of sickness combined with a particular family situation (damn, I wish I had known that person. I met them twice.). The other did not say why, just did it.

Warlock

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I'll admit I have tried 5 or 6 times. Three of those times were serious enough I ended up in ICU. The last two, technically should have worked. Being in the medical field, I know how to do it. But, thankfully, I was found in time. Both times it was by accident. I made sure no one would be around.

I don't know how to describe what was going thru my head. I just remember I could find or see no way out of my hell. I was out of control. I was in active addiction the last time. I just got tired of the pain. I had isolated myself, and refused to have any friends. I wouldn't let anyone in.

Even though sometimes I still get those thoughts. Especially since my move to Missouri and how hard it has been to get on my feet. But I have my granddaughter, and another on the way to remind me of what i do have. I've been trying to open up here more, too.

Anything else u want to know!???

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Anything else u want to know!???

Yes.

Warlock

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Yes.

Warlock

You talking to me

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    However, the question that needs to be considered is:
    Did you hear or know of anyone who either attempted
    suicide or took their own life because of the Watch-
    tower Bible and Tract Society?

Yes, know of people, and know/knew people personally, some were "successful" and others were not. Myself, included, unfortunately. Yes, it's 100% the fault of the WTS. 100%.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hugs and great strength to you, Dear CrazyBlonde...

And Wanderer... you already know part of my story. He was the only Witness I ever dated, we were engaged to be married at one point. He never got the psychiatric and pharmaceutical help he desparately needed. He took his own life a couple of years after being DF'd for the second time (to get reinstated the first time, he walked to the KH a couple of miles and didn't miss a meeting. Once my family's car passed him walking to the KH in a downpour of rain. Car after car of Witnesses passed him on the sopping dirt road. I don't think I ever forgave my Mom for not stopping our car.)

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Yes: my dad. Here's the link to the letter the Society sent to me, which contains a link to the letter I sent to them and the body of elders in my dad's congregation, which gives you pretty much the whole story: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/53228/1.ashx.

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit