A THANK YOU to the board

by Jerohobobonadad 16 Replies latest jw friends

• noni1974
    noni1974

I DA ed before I had the internet.I left because it just felt wrong for me.I couldn't explain why.I just had a stronge need to be myself without all the WTS bs attached.I have still to this day not really figured out what it was that made me leave.But I think most likely it was the lack of love show to me and members of my family.

It's been 9 long years for me since I left.There were times when I thought I should just go back even if it's wrong because it was the only thing I knew.But I held stronge to my own instinct.Then about a year ago I found another board a smaller board.The people were so kind to me and helpful.They helped me find other people like me who had left.They helped me to finnaly see what was wrong with the JW's.

Those kind people led me here and too a few more EX JW boards.I can never thank them enough.

I was in crisis.My uncle died and at his death bed I was told by an elder that because I was DA ed I should go find a place to be by myself because I was making my family unhappy by being there.No one in my family ever said anything like this to this elder.He was the one uncomfertable with me being with my family.My aunt and my mom both pleaded with me to stay.They told me I was wanted there.I was told I was needed there and had every right in the world to be with my family.

But I was still hurt and confused.That night I typed Jehovahs Witnesses in my broswer and I found tons of people just like me.I like so many still held on to the "what if it's true" question.But now I'm free.I can say without a douht in my mind or heart I know it's not the truth.I found others just like me.I never knew I needed other EX JW's to talk to.

I don't post much here because most of my issues I worked out for myself .But sometimes I find something that really strikes me.Your post did that to me tonight.

I would also like to thank those people who have posted there storys.I've read a ton of them here.They have helped me keep the resolve I made back when I left to live my life for me and no one else.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    I can only imagine what it must have been like 10 or 20 years ago if a "witness" had doubts - where would you go to find out the facts? I have a great deal of respect for those who made an exit back then.

I think I would have gone mad without the internet and really feel for those that left in the past. It the strength of those few that has paved the way for the 10s of thousands leaving every year now.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Twenty years ago, there was a special phone number in my city, if you called it you reached a recorded message which was someone discussing all the reasons that JW's were wrong...

I think the website was run by a local church.

Pre-internet! We used the phone of course!

Pope

• bsmart
    bsmart

I am so greateful that answers are available all over the net and especially here at JWN. I left long before the internet but sometimes "worried".

Now, no worries!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

You're welcome!

Now pay it forward.

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

I find helping others on the net is a great outlet . this website is great.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Before the Internet, Regis Philin had a guest on his local NY show that helped Witnesses and Armstrong's World Wide Church cope. There were special groups. I was impressed that the guest did not argue doctrine but explained that high control religions were hard to leave. I was so impressed I wanted help for myself. After the show ended, I called the TV program and spoke with a producer. This was pre-Gelman. He gave me a phone number to get in touch with the guest.

I introduced myself, and summarized my JW past and asked for help. When he heard the number of years, education, and profession, he said that his mission was to do those in utter agony. He knew many who committed suicide b/c of the shunning and not having a support system of worldly people. These people did not know how they were going to live through the night. My JW problems were silly to him.

I agreed with him. We heard rumors of dissident groups. Sometimes the Society acknowledged their existence. My father was interested. We were told they set up their own propehcies. It made no sense to investigate a splinter group that had its own bizarre prophecies and doctrines. It never entered my mind that someone would leave the Witnesses and became mainstream Christian or be an atheist.

Also, I wonder what the attraction is here. It was amazing to hear people speak the secret lingo and not affirm it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit