Murder with Amish children, great opportunity to convert Christians, right?

by free2beme 13 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

Last night, I had this misfortune of listening to people in other Christian faiths use the Amish event to promote recruitment of their own Church in faith. I saw ministers on television saying how these Amish people showed the love of Christ, and how these people showed how much people in Christ church were so loving and forgiving. Making a point to mention that the Amish people were forgiving the man who did this. I even saw a minister mention how such love, should draw people to the faith even more in this day and age. Wow! What a wonderful recruitment and encouragement this had been for the Christian faith. It appears this man might have done them a favor, with what he did, to allow them to show how forgiving and loving they really are.

Now, reality! What this man did was terrible. People trying to cash in on this to gain something for their church and religion, is sickening. What should be questioned, is how long is their God going to allow these things to happen and when are they going to see that despite all the love they show after, evil exist and it exist in the world on a random bases that has nothing to do with God controling anything before or after. Why do people not loss faith, thinking "Why would their god allow this?" Why do they not ask logical questions like, "If god was real, why would he need to take the innocent children to show how great and loving his faith is?" If he did allow it, what a sick God.

All I have heard today from the Christian extremist I work with on this, is that part about the Amish man forgiving the family of the man who did this, and the man himself. You know there is a time and place in life to be angry, and not to put on some phoney show of your faith. If something like this happened to my child, I would be angry. In time I may come to terms, and be able to move on, as I went through stages of grief. If I heard someone cashing in on it, to promote a faith. That would make me more angry.

So, was the murder of the Amish children a great opportunity to convert people to Christianity? Seems to be the image that is being shown. Their so loving and forgiving. BLAH!

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

No, I work w/ few who believe in God. And for those that do, they are your routine based religions that require little then showing up on a few special occasions.

I did an internet search on the Amish and what they do for funerals. It reminded me a lot of JWs and what they do. Very simple and not a sad occasion. I thought it was interesting. All I could think of was if the mothers will be allowed to morn fully or if they will be expected to go on with their life because anything other then moving on would appear to be a lack of faith.

• parakeet
    parakeet

***I saw ministers on television saying how these Amish people showed the love of Christ ... ***

I live in the same Pennsylvania county where this atrocity took place. I don't know any Amish personally. That's because the Amish are unfriendly to outsiders (unless you buy their produce or they want to be driven somewhere). They are also undereducated (eighth-grade level) and superstitious. Teenage Amish boys (not girls) are allowed to run wild for a time ("to sow their wild oats") before they settle down into the Amish way of life. As a result of this policy, some local Amish boys and young men have been arrested for a number of drug offenses and other crimes.

The Amish appear very quaint and maintain their farms neatly, but I've never found much to admire in them. But it's still shameful that TV ministers are exploiting this mass murder and the Amish to further their own ends.

• free2beme
    free2beme

My only knowledge of the Amish, myself, is what I read online and the movie Witness with Harrison Ford. Other then that, I do seem to hear about equal negative to positive from people who do know them. I spoke to a man who was Amish once at my work, he had left the faith and was setting up his utilities and wanted someone to explain the need for things like gas, power, electric and phone. He thought there should be some central place that provided these and could not understand the billing thing.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Why do people not loss faith, thinking "Why would their god allow this?" Why do they not ask logical questions like, "If god was real, why would he need to take the innocent children to show how great and loving his faith is?" If he did allow it, what a sick God.

Because they believe in the gospel =godspell. Trying to make sense out of 56 contradictory books combined into one puts people into a trance.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

The Amish are a cloistered sort. We went to Lancaster County PA a while back and found the Amish to be very quiet people. They will talk to you if buy their goods; however we're English and part of the world. Those families will not have any pictures of their little girls as they don't have photos of themselves, (it's vain). The movie Witness does a pretty good job of showing what the Amish world is like.

• blondie
    blondie

I saw this woman, Phelps, of that group that has been picketing funerals of soldiers. They were going to picket at the Amish funerals but canceled in exchange for 1 hour time on Mike Gallagher's radio show.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,217760,00.html

Anti-Gay Kansas Church Cancels Protests at Funerals for Slain Amish Girls

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

By Sara Bonisteel

The controversial anti-homosexual Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., has canceled its plans to stage a protest at the funerals of the five Amish girls executed in their Pennsylvania school, a church official said Wednesday.

Shirley Phelps-Roper , the daughter of church's pastor, told FOXNews.com the group canceled the protests in exchange for an hour of radio time Thursday on syndicated talk-show host Mike Gallagher's radio program.

"We're not going to any of the Amish funerals — that's the agreement we're making — that we won't go to any of them," Phelps-Roper told FOXNews.com.

On Tuesday, the church posted a flyer touting the demonstrations in response to the attendance of Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell , who has spoken out against the church publicly. Both Amish and non-Amish residents of Lancaster County — where the shooting took place — have vowed to not allow any protesters anywhere near the funeral services; Rendell called the church members "insane."

Phelps-Roper, daughter of Rev. Fred Phelps , said the church had planned to cancel the protests if given media time on radio and television as a platform to espouse Westboro's beliefs.

Gallagher said that church officials would have to sign a document making them liable for the airtime if they broke their promise not to demonstrate.

"It's awful for me to give up an hour of my radio show ... but I think it’s worth the sacrifice to keep them away," Gallagher said.

But she defended the church's initial decision to protest at the Amish girls' funerals.

"Those Amish people, everyone is sitting around talking about those poor little girls — blah, blah, blah — they brought the wrath upon themselves," Phelps-Roper said, adding that the Amish "don't serve God, they serve themselves."

On Monday, Charles Carl Roberts IV killed five girls — Naomi Rose Ebersole, 7; Anna Mae Stoltzfus, 12; Marian Fisher, 13; Mary Liz Miller, 8; and her sister Lena Miller, 7 — in a rural Amish schoolhouse in Lancaster County, Pa.

Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Crime Center

Donald Kraybill, a professor of sociology at Elizabethtown College in Lancaster County, Pa., calls the church's plans a publicity stunt.

"I don't think there's any connection between the Amish incident and their agenda. They just want to get in the spotlight," Kraybill said. "It's giving them national attention and it's a cheap and easy and really terrible way to gain some visibility."

The church's latest flyer, posted on its Web site notes these protests will be against Rendell for "slanderous" statements against the church.

Westboro's latest rhetoric is in line with the other beliefs of it's 70 church members, who hold that the deaths of U.S. troops are God's punishment for America's tolerance of homosexuality.

The Westboro Baptist Church has made its name demonstrating at the funerals of soldiers killed in the Iraq war. Their controversial and colorful placards proclaim their anti-gay stance with slogans such as "Thank God for Dead Soldiers," "America Is Doomed" and "Soldier Fag in Hell."

Before it garnered national attention, the church made its name around Kansas, where 16 years ago, it started protested the funerals of AIDS victims. And while their demonstrations of late have focused on the funerals of U.S. soldiers, Westboro church members have taken their picket signs to the memorials for the 12 Sago miners who perished in January in West Virginia.

Earlier this year, prompted by the church protests, Congress passed a law that banned protesters from military funerals at federal cemeteries. More than a dozen states have passed similar legislation creating protest-free buffer zones around cemeteries during funerals.

Phelps-Roper told FOXNews.com in February that the church has a right to protest.

"We are delivering a message," Phelps-Roper said. "God is punishing this nation and he is using the IED [improvised explosive device] as his weapon of choice."

• free2beme
    free2beme

Thanks Blondie, it is even worse then I thought. People are so sick!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Rendell called the church members "insane."

ya think?! (A-holes, every self-righteous one of them)

• free2beme
    free2beme

It seems that in the information age, it opens up a lot of negative, beyond the negative news story that is already being covered. This reminds me, so many times, of sci fi books on the sickening world of to much information and how it leads to a lack of human love for one another.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit