Is There Anything Positive About Being A Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 59 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I recently went to a wedding and the father of the bride that (re)married a (worldly) man said to me, "The only thing that I can say about raising our kids as Witnesses was at least they got a good foundation. Look at our kids. They're good kids". (Incidentally, this man told me that he made sure he got reinstated so that he could easily socialize with his family and friends). Are there any pros about ever having been a Witness???

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

A BIG positive that JW's have is the ability to speak publicly in front of others. It certainly helped me.

I have seen some very intelligent people in the business world that missed out on many opportunities when they simply could not speak well in front of a group.

Rub a Dub

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Being one helped me to become a good conversationalist. Apart from that, it was all negative.

• minimus
    minimus

True. We can go to court and even lie and be trained to do it properly.

• earthtone
    earthtone

Living in a pretty bad area, the friends at the hall keep us (kids) very busy doing different activities (skating, movies, gatherings). Unfortunately they also did not encourage us to make a better living( financially) than what we were use to.

• Nowman
    Nowman

It helped me get the sales jobs I had since I was 18, that was 14 years ago. Back when I used to have to cold call, (Ive been with the same company for 8 years now, so I do not have to do that anymore), it was not difficult for me to walk into businesses and sell sell sell...

Nikki

• parakeet
    parakeet

Having JW crap stuffed down my gullet as a child has honed my ability to detect crap anywhere. If you can call that a positive.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Ah, a perennial favorite topic.
    Yes, of course there are positive things about being a Witness. I attribute my lack of racial prejudice to my Witness upbringing. The Ministry School did equip me to be an excellent public speaker (though not exactly in the way it purports to.) Many people have become Witnesses and thereby turned their lives around from being criminals, drug addicts, and so on. As a Witness, you also enjoy a large social network with activities, (superficial) friends, and in many parts of the world friends who would give you a place to sleep with few questions asked. There is also a general air of helping others (at least, other members of the faith).
    None of this is universal throughout the faith; none of it is unique to Witnesses. Nevertheless those are the positives I took away from it.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I know how to find all my Bible books, and selected (very) scriptures. I am still working on actually getting all of them in context though!

• frankiespeakin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit