Are witnesses Christians?

by KW13 58 Replies latest jw friends

• poppers
    poppers

"How does one define "Christian"?
    Yes. If by "Christian" one refers to a certain state of consciousness then anyone can be "Christian" if they consciously embody that state of consciousness - this is why I mentioned Buddhists. If this is so, then belief in anything is unnecessary. But, if one professes to be "Christian" but doesn't consciously experience and embody that state of consciousness then they are simply deluding themselves.
    I admit my definition of Christianity flies in the face of mainstream ideas, but it does apply to everyone regardless of religious affiliation, which are based on beliefs. I think it is beliefs which get in the way of experiencing this ground of consciousness which Jesus, in my opinion, spoke of and embodied, and which he said was available to all. Following rules of behavior and performing certain works don't lead to this state of consciousness, but from that state of consciousness loving behaviour and works which are supportive to all naturally flows.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    This might just be a question of semantics.

It is! All Christians are semantic Christians, i.e. they determine how they'll practice their form of Christianity. Does that make them Christian? Not in the accepted sense, i.e. the would-Jesus-approve sense!

Ian

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl
    i.e. the would-Jesus-approve sense!

Well, this is where it becomes subjective as well as semantic. I doubt you'll meet many professed Christians who don't think that their flavour is the one Jesus would approve.

You aren't anti-semantic are you, Ian?

• anewme
    anewme

I have begun to wonder if they really are Christians.

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

are JWs christian.... who gets to decide? there is no such thing as a verifiable absolute organization that designates who is a christians...

JWs can say who is or is not a JW and catholics can say that for themselves too...but no one can really say who is or is not a christian in the same way...

so its basically a meaningless question.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    You aren't anti-semantic are you, Ian?

Good one!

Ian

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    Some of the comments on this thread seem to be defining "Christian" by standards of behaviour: kindness, charity and so on. Which is either hugely derogatory to non-Christians, or meaningless - couldn't we just as easily say that a kind vegetarian JW is a Buddhist? Clearly not.

I was defining it by the behaviour and actions of the founder of the christian faith Jesus Christ as outlined in the Bible. In comparison to how the JW's view things today its clear that they are not really following Jesus. Most are judgemental, think they need to earn their salvation, are prideful, position oriented, etc, etc. Jesus denounced such things as was shown when he repeatedy corerected his apostles for arguing who was greatest among them.

I am in no way saying that kindness and love is defined by christianity just that for one to claim to be a christian these are the most important traits to display. I know many catholics, hindu's, jews, muslims, and JWs for that matter that are wonderful and kind people. In general though the JW religion seems lost as far as christianity goes...

• esw1966
    esw1966

My current thinking of being Christian is believing that Jesus' death covers your sins, and that you accept His grace and love, thus being born again and then you become filled with the holy spirit and your life becomes filled with the fruitages of the spirit.

It is my feeling that jws believe that Jesus' death CAN cover their sins, but they do not necessarily feel that His death HAS covered their sins, therefore guilt and works righteousness.

From my own personal experience, I do not feel that they have experienced His grace and love and do NOT have a sense of being saved. Therefore, they are NOT born again, do not have the holy spirit and do not live a life filled with the fruitages of the spirit, but try to MANIFEST it and COAX it by intentionally manipulating it to SEEM righteous rather than allowing it to just happen because of the grace you experience by being born again.

So, in conclusion, I think that they have all the ingredients TO BE Christian, but they fall short of it's intent and blessing because they fail to accept Jesus' grace and love. Thus, at this time, I do not feel that the majority of them are Christian.

They come sooo close, but the society has taken that away from them giving it to only a select group of 'annointed ones'. They thus fail to apply the majority of the Christian Scriptures to themselves personally and thus fail to become truly Christian.

That's my two cents worth. Still pondering that thought as I have 3 children whom I love greatly who are still practicing jws.

• mouthy
    mouthy

A Christian is a follower of Christ in my understanding .. I know I thought I was a Christian when I was a JW but I wasnt because I followed the organization rules Jesus said love thine enemies . We were taught to hate. Catholics ,Gay, EXJW, The Christian believes he must LOVE!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit