I Got The Phone Call Last Night - My Dad Died

by BrendaCloutier 76 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

My mom called last night to tell me he passed on Sunday. He died peacefully and fairly painlessly. My mom said she was talking with him, went to answer the phone, and 5 minutes later he was gone.

It was rather a shock because I thought he had already died this last winter. Last Sept he was dying of kidney failure. The family decided no dialysis; since he was 88, and his alzheimers was so bad, and dialysis in his case would be a difficult 3 days per week all day, etc., etc., and the dialysis might only extend his life maybe another year, so no dialysis. Smart decision IMO. But he was given then only 3 months or less to live.

I figured that he died and my JW family decided not to tell me. Normal behaviour on their part.

I was wrong.

The memorial service (he was cremated - another smart decision) will be Saturday September 2nd at a local KH, "so everyone can get home from the District Conventions". I'm sure it will be a dour and somber affair.

Big Willy offered to go with me as moral support. I suggested complete metel regalia and piercings including his utilikilt! THAT would be some appearance. Especially if I punk up my hair and wear as many fake piercings and tatoos myself!

I would consider doing it to spite my brother and his family, those goodie two shoes JW's, but I don't want to do that to my mom - inspite of JWism.

It's my mom I feel the most sorry for. Her entire life has revolved around my dad. It wouldn't surprise me if she left in the next year or so.

I've cried a little. Seems like I've already cried rivers over loosing them years ago to their cult. But I actually feel pretty good about it - relieved.

• KW13
    KW13
    My mom called last night to tell me he passed on Sunday. He died peacefully and fairly painlessly. My mom said she was talking with him, went to answer the phone, and 5 minutes later he was gone.

hey, i'm sorry

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Brenda...

I'm sorry for your pain, now and that endured over the past few years....my true condolences. It's always tough to lose a parent, no matter the circumstances. I am surprised that he survived so long after being taken off of the treatment. At least he is at peace and your mom now can look to her own life and what she wants to do.

Take care.....

Double Edge

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Whoa...thats a tough phone call even when you know someone IS alive and dying of some disease...but to think they died, find out they were alive and NOW they died is like them dying twice.

He's at peace now. My husbands grandfather had alzheimers for the last 10 years of his life and didnt know any of us any more and became a baby again in the end.

I hope you do go to the funeral...rise above all the crap they accuse you of being. Say goodbye to dad. :)

Ok...maybe one piercing :)

• Bryan
    Bryan

Brenda,

Sorry to hear of your loss, and happy to hear how well you are taking it. We all have to go one day. Leaving during a phone call sounds great to me!

Bryan

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I'm actually rather surprised at how peaceful I feel about it all. I feel like my dad finally knows what "it" is really all about now. No more BS.

Yes, I'm going to the funeral. I won't miss it. And I'll wear my pierced earrings and nose stud! I might just have to get a slightly larger diamond stud than I now have to wear in my nose! And since it's on Sept 2nd, I'll have the Portland apostfest to attend afterwards. How purfekt is that? huh?

• Legolas
    Legolas

Brenda, I am sorry for your loss

• anewme
    anewme

Brenda, sorry about your loss. I think he is at peace.
    I think you should go if you can to support your mom.
    Death does sting. I agree with that old scripture.
    But life goes on. (That should be in the Bible)

Dry your tears Brenda and think of all the good memories of your father.

Oh, I want to share that over the years sooooo much of my father's wisdom and wit have returned to me since his death! His memory becomes more dear as time passes. Yours will too.

Anewme

• gumby
    gumby
    I've cried a little. Seems like I've already cried rivers over loosing them years ago to their cult. But I actually feel pretty good about it - relieved.

((((brenda))))

So so so sad Brenda. This cult divides and takes away the most precious thing mankind has....the love from those that loved us and the love we once had for them because of how they pushed us away.....and there's not a goddam thing we can do about it ( most of the time) except for suffer from it.

I'm glad you are relieved ....even if it's a litte bit.

Gumby

• luna2
    luna2

Sorry about your dad, Brenda. Its good to know that the family didn't fail to inform you of his death at least.

LOL on going with BW in his kilt and everything. That would have been pretty cool. Still, its nice of you not to want to upset your mom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit