JWs can celebrate the new moon..............the bible says so.

by vitty 13 Replies latest jw friends

• vitty
    vitty

I spent an evening in a hotel last week and while waiting for DH to get ready, I found a gidion bible in the draw, so started flicking through it. I was reading Colossians, when I came across a scripture I hadnt noticed before. In chapter 2 v 16. It really stunned me.

I read the whole chapter and when I came across verse 16 it is really clear about celebrating, well, basically what you want to, including new moon festivals!!!!!!!!

So im going to inform my family that from now on im going celebrate a new moon, dont know how often they occur but im sure I can find out. I wonder what theyll say

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

New moon happens about every 28 days. You just missed July's new moon which was the 25th. August 23 is your next new moon.

Sept 22

Oct 22

Nov 20

Dec 20

is the rest of this year. Have fun with your celebrations.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Here's the quote, from the ESV:

16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath 16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath

I too wonder how the jws would interpret that scripture?

Actually, I read the rest of the chapter as well, and this verse may well apply to the jws:

23 These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self - made religion ....... but they are of no value
    Sums the jws up nicely
  • parakeet
    parakeet

It's always made sense to me to celebrate the seasons and beauties of the earth. Unlike elusive, invisible deities, nature's amazing variety is right in front of our eyes. Japanese holidays often revolve around nature -- cherry blossom viewing, spring equinox, star festival, ocean day, etc.
    Because I'm not christian, celebrating Christmas without its religious elements is for me a celebration of winter, of family, and the return of the sun after the winter solstice. And it's every bit as warm and precious a holiday to me and my family as it is to christians.
    Enjoy your new moon celebrations.

• daystar
    daystar
    23 These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self - made religion....... but they are of no value
    Sums the jws up nicely

Of course, to a Witness it would be inconceivable that this might apply to their religion. They are, after all, the oldest religion in the world, right?

• V
    V

If you read closely it is possible to celebrate the new moon as a JW without being labeled "spiritistic" or "astrological".

Insight Book Volume 1, pages 825-826:

FESTIVAL

OF NEW MOON

God’s command to Israel was that at each new moon, which marked the beginning of the lunar months of the Jewish calendar, trumpets were to be blown over their burnt offerings and communion sacrifices. (Nu 10:10) Special sacrifices were to be offered on these days besides the continual daily sacrifice. The new-moon offering was to consist of a burnt offering of two bulls, one ram, and seven year-old male lambs, with corresponding grain and wine offerings, as well as one kid of the goats for a sin offering.—Nu 28:11-15.

This is all that was commanded concerning its observance in the Pentateuch, but the new-moon observance grew in time to become an important national festival. At Isaiah 1:13, 14 it is placed alongside Sabbaths and festal seasons. In the time of the later prophets, at least, on new-moon days the people did not engage in commercial enterprise, as is indicated at Amos 8:5. This was more than the Scriptures required for new-moon days. Even so, as the last two cited scriptures show, the Jews’ observance of the new moon had by that time become a mere formalism, hated in Jehovah’s eyes.

The day of the new moon was a day specially regarded for gathering together and feasting. This is seen from Saul’s reasoning when David did not appear at Saul’s table on the day of the new moon. Saul said to himself: "Something has happened so that he is not clean, for he has not been cleansed." (1Sa 20:5, 18, 24, 26) While certain forms of work could be done on this day that could not be done on the Sabbath, it was viewed as a day for the consideration of spiritual matters. The people would gather in convention (Isa 1:13; 66:23; Ps 81:3; Eze 46:3) or visit the prophets or men of God.—2Ki 4:23.

The observance of the day of the new moon did not involve worship of the moon, as was practiced by some pagan nations, nor did it have any connection with astrology.—Jg 8:21; 2Ki 23:5; Job 31:26-28.

Isaiah wrote about a future time when all flesh would gather to bow down before Jehovah on new-moon days. (Isa 66:23) In Ezekiel’s prophecy, during the time of exile in Babylon, when he was given a vision of a temple, Jehovah said to him: "As regards the gate of the inner courtyard that is facing east, it should continue shut for the six workdays, and on the sabbath day it should be opened, and on the day of the new moon it should be opened. And the people of the land must bow down at the entrance of that gate on the sabbaths and on the new moons, before Jehovah."—Eze 46:1, 3.

The Jews today celebrate the new moon with many detailed ceremonies and give it much importance. Christians, however, are shown that they are under no obligation to observe a new moon or a sabbath, which are only part of a shadow of the things to come, the reality being found in Jesus Christ. The festivals of natural Israel have a symbolic significance and a fulfillment in many blessings through God’s Son.—Col 2:16, 17.

• poppers
    poppers

Just remember, with the appearance of a full moon also comes the appearance of lunatics.

• Scully
    Scully

The new moon, I thought, used to mark the beginning of a new month. The JWs already Celebrate™ the beginning of each new month whenever they turn in their Field Service Report™.

• Warlock
    Warlock

I always wondered why I would start howling every new moon. Thanks Vitty.

Warlock

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Warlock are you sure you aren't howling at the Full Moon like a warewolf?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit