Is becoming a witness the right thing for me

by marketman 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I was raised a Catholic and later converted to the JWs. I also "found a good friend" who studied with me. Once I was converted this "good friend" had less and less time for me, as he pursued new potential converts. The friendships are not real. If you indicate to them, at any time, that you have no interest in becoming a JW you will be dumped in a flash.

If you have doctrinal issues examine them thoroughly. That means you don't examine only JW literature or opinion. Examine Catholic and other Christian literature as well. Use a good interlinear bible translation and see the mistranslations of the Watchtower's bible for yourself.

W

• hopie
    hopie

Welcom to our Broad Marketman !

It is very wise of you to check everything out before making a decision as important as this one. This decision will not only affect you personally, but everyone you love and care about.

The scriptures tells us Satan transforms himself as an angel of light. 2 Cor. 11:14, which basically means that there is some truth in all religions.

All the above comments are profound and true, we have been there and experienced the harsh hand of this CULT.

I was raised as a JW and married a JW. My husband was an elder for over 15 years. It was at this time we started to recognize the organization was more political than scriptural. When we resigned in 1983. We lost one of our daughters to this cult for 10 years. Because she was not allowed to talk to us, I decided to rejoin and become a member again, only so I could eventually show her their cult-like errors This took 2 years, because of her dominate elder husband, also a (child molester). I was sucessful in my rescue attempt, but there was a lot of heartache and tears we all went through before it was over.

I wrote a book about my 2 year rescue experience, so that I could help educate the un-informed and give comfort to those that are suffering now, having lost one of their own loved ones to this cult.

You may obtain my book on Google in a couple of weeks. The title is: "GOING UNDERCOVER..To Rescue My Daughter...From The Cult Of Jehovah's Witnesses" By Nancy J. Sage.

We all can hold true to our spirituality without belonging to a particular religion, organized or not. God promise us that "all will come to know him, from the least to the greatest" in His own time.

You can reach me anytime at [email protected]

Hopie

• poppers
    poppers

Questioning beliefs is great, it is the first step toward real freedom and truth. But ask yourself, "Will changing my beliefs make me any more free than before?" Consider the possibility that exchanging one set of beliefs for another is not the answer, and will only delay the sought after freedom and truth.

Find out what you are without any beliefs at all. Beliefs are only thoughts. There is something more fundamental than thought, something that exists prior to the arising of thought. That is what you are in actuality, and that is where freedom and truth reside.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I love it when a person sets off on a spiritual quest. Marketman, I think it is great that you are taking a good hard look at your beliefs. Please don't stop too soon, though. One of my favorite quotes by Mark Twain:

We are always hearing of people who are around seeking after the Truth. I have never seen a (permanent) specimen. I think he has never lived. But I have seen several entirely sincere people who thought they were (permanent) Seekers after the Truth. They sought diligently, persistently, carefully, cautiously, profoundly, with perfect honesty and nicely adjusted judgment- until they believed that without doubt or question they had found the Truth. That was the end of the search. The man spent the rest of his hunting up shingles wherewith to protect his Truth from the weather.
    Markt Twain- "What is Man?"

The JW's are just as dogmatic as the Catholics, and are even more severe to dissenters. I wouldn't be surprised if your good friend warns you away from this site, even suggesting that our comments are from Satan.

Here's a nice comparison of various religions and their beliefs at a neutral site:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/relcomp.htm

Another non-trinitarian religion to explore:

http://www.christadelphia.org/

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I've been struggling

There's the key. Jesus said his 'burden' is light.... you need to explore what's out there, you've only just begun...don't settle.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Marketman, Have you spoken to your priest about this? I will pray for you sunday. Good luck

• Honesty
    Honesty

Make the jehovah's witnesses prove that Jesus returned in 1914 before you do anything else.

Here's a little something for you to print that will get you started on the road to truth:

The "Faithful Discreet Slave" doctrine rests solely upon the date of Jerusalem's destruction by Nebuchadnezzar. According to the Watchtower publication "You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth" (WTBTS 1989) in Chapter 16, "God’s Government Begins Its Rule" pages 138-141 paragraphs 14-21 Jesus Christ began to rule as king of God’s heavenly government in 1914.

According to the Watchtower Society, Jesus inspected all organizations who claimed to represent Him shortly after He became enthroned as king in 1914:

WT 87 6/15 p. 10 A Time of Testing and Sifting
    WT 87 6/15 p. 15 Testing and Sifting in Modern Times
    Revelation- It's Grand Climax At Hand! chapter 27 page 183

Jesus picked the modern-day Jehovah's Witnesses according to the Watchtower Society.

Using only literature published by the Watchtower Society and one scripture we can rather easily see the chronology regarding the destruction of Jerusalem.

There is really not much to learn here, either:
    No astronomy, no neo-Babylonian tablets, and no confusing Bible versus will be presented. Just the names of five people and several quotes from Watchtower publications will be used. Also, there is no need to quibble over things like regnal years, ascension years, cardinal and ordinal numbers, etc. Remember, 607 B.C. is a full 20 years earlier than the accepted date of 586/87 B.C. and all the tinkering with a few months here and a few partial year reigns there cannot make up a difference of twenty years.

Another tricky part to remember is that people were very primitive in those years before a sensible calendar that actually counts FORWARD as you go forward rather than BACKWARD as you go forward was incorporated.

We have to start AFTER the date of Jerusalem's fall with a date and event that is agreed upon by both the WTS and secular historians.

From this date we will count backward by counting forward.

That date is 539 B.C., the date that Babylon fell to Cyrus the Mede.

Keep in mind we are trying to find the date Jerusalem fell.

"Particularly was this domination manifest during the seventh and sixth centuries B.C.E. when Nabopolassar, a native of Chaldea, and his successors, Nebuchadnezzar II, Evil-merodach (Awil-Marduk), Neriglissar, Labashi-Marduk, Nabonidus, and Belshazzar, ruled the Third World Power, Babylon."
    _______________________________________________________________Insight on the Scriptures published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society in volume 2 on page 480 under "Nebuchadnezzar" tells us that he ruled as king for 43 years:

Second ruler of the Neo-Babylonian Empire; son of Nabopolassar and father of Awil-Marduk (Evil-merodach), who succeeded him to the throne. Nebuchadnezzar ruled as king for 43 years...

An article entitled, "The Rejoicing of the Wicked Is Short-lived" on page 29 in the January 1,1965 Watchtower magazine lists the regnal years of Nebuchadnezzar II's successors from Evil-Merodach to Nabonidus who, in this article the Watchtower confirms was ruler of Babylon when Cyrus conquered it in 539 B.C.:

Evil-merodach reigned two years and was murdered by his brother-in-law Neriglissar, who reigned for four years, which time he spent mainly in building operations. His underage son Labashi-Marduk, a vicious boy, succeeded him, and was assassinated within nine months. Nabonidus, who had served as governor of Babylon and who had been Nebuchadnezzar’s favorite son-in-law, took the throne and had a fairly glorious reign until Babylon fell in 539 B.C.E.

Insight on the Scriptures published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society in volume 2 on page 457 under "Nabonidus" tells us that he ruled some 17 years:

Last supreme monarch of the Babylonian Empire; father of Belshazzar. On the basis of cuneiform texts he is believed to have ruled some 17 years (556-539 B.C.E.). He was given to literature, art, and religion

Nabonidus ruled Babylon for 17 years until it fell in 539 B.C. to Cyrus.

Labashi-Marduk ruled for 9 months.

Neriglissar ruled for 4 years.

Evil-Merodach ruled for 2 years.

Nebuchadnezzer ruled for 43 years.

17 years + 9 months + 4 years + 2 years + 43 years = 66 to 67 years.

Starting at 539 B.C. and going back 66/67 years we arrive at 605/606 B.C. for the start of the reign of Nebuchadnezzer.

2nd Kings 25:8-10 tells us that Jerusalem was destroyed in the 19th year of Nebuchadnezzer's reign, so if we go forward 19 years from 605/606 B.C. we will have the approximate years of the destruction of Jerusalem.

Nineteen years after 605/606 B.C. brings us to 586/587 B.C. which agrees with all secular evidence.

That's it!

Prove 607 B.C.E. as the date for Jerusalem's fall and you have proved the authority of the Governing Body of JW's.

Prove that 607 B.C.E. is not the date for Jerusalem's fall and you have just one of many apocalyptic doomsday religions that use fear and intimidation to maintain their authority and control over their followers.

• parakeet
    parakeet

If you have or plan to have children, you owe it to them if not to yourself to explore fully all aspects of the JW religion. Children raised as JWs have a particularly difficult time in school. They will always feel alienated from schoolmates and teachers. The experience will scar them for life. I'm not exaggerating.
    Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to ask hard questions.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Marketman,

I disagree with others that say " you have to descide yourself". The Watchtower makes that choice very very clear. Would you buy into a life insurance policy without throughly 'kicking the tires'? No you would not!

You would come to learn, upon further review the Watchtower is one of todays premier "sleepy cults" in that its not all at once, its little by little, they will take over your life while seemingly providing a comfort zone from todays world.

Ask any Witness to review old Watchtower literature and you will be amazed at the fact they will not participate. Because it contradicts what the recent views are.

Buyer beware!

EW

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

"I honestly believe some of the basic doctrine. I have always dooubted the trinity and believed that there was only one true God."But, there are still several things I am unsure of ... blood transfusions, celebratory days, is or is not Christ God incarnate..

smellsgood: let's continue....only 144,000 going to heaven, 1914 the end/beginning of the last days, the WTS being the sole channel of communication from God to man...
    I don't know if you know this, but they teach that Jesus is/was Michael the Archangel in pre-existent form, also, that he was not raised bodily from the grave. More of a "spirit" resurrection.
    Does that version of Jesus make better sense?
    I can only advise you that if you still want to attend church, and you ARE fed up with the Catholic church, for the love of God don't get yourself mixed up with a high control cult!! I disagree with alot of things the Catholic Church does, and their rituals can be over the top. My dad's family is very Catholic. He was raised Catholic, but is not a Catholic for many years. You don't have to belong to any organization for salvation, to have a relationship with God, etc. I would recommend you deeply investigate the WT, do read freeminds.org, Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz. There are plenty of other avenues you can take that will be far less harmful in the end than going from the rituals of the Catholic church, to the dogmatic warped beliefs of the Watchtower.
    Maybe check out a simply 'Christian' Church. Some are nice. Or stop going to any Church for awhile. Nothing wrong with that.
    You're wife is right to be concerned about this. Eventually I think, you will admire her opposition, if it is informed or intuitive or both, because maybe otherwise you would have been caught up sooner.

smellsgood

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit