What do you do when you're really nervous? (new pic)

by MsMcDucket 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Thank you for the link MsMcD.

I think that happens to me when I'm really upset - when I'm on the verge of bursting into tears but trying not to. It feels like my windpipe being strangled at the bottom of my neck (roughly in the thyroid area). I didn't know there was a name for it! It is really scary - it must be worse for you when they happen without any trigger. It's good to have a plan for times like that.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

When I get nervous I usually don't "do" anything, but I do get red blotches on my neck and chest when I'm in an uncomfortable situation. Of course I hate that but there's nothing I can do to prevent it :(
    I do love your hair though (that is you in the first post right?) I think short hair like that is just beautiful. It always seems so confident. I had shorter hair when I was younger, but nowadays I am too chicken to have it short. Well that and the fact that shorter is not necessarily easier. If I have to go out now I can just throw my hair up, but when I had it short it sometimes took FOREVER to get it fixed right.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Talk

• Warlock
    Warlock

To hijack a famous movie quote: "There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those who get nervous and those who make them nervous". I am the latter.

Warlock

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    When I get nervous I usually don't "do" anything, but I do get red blotches on my neck and chest when I'm in an uncomfortable situation. Of course I hate that but there's nothing I can do to prevent it :(

Gosh! That's got to be adding insult to an injury type situation? Does it happen at job interviews or just in random situations? Is there anything that the doctor can give you to prevent it?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Talk

Mouthy that goes along with your nick. I bet you can talk your way out of a foxhole.

• Calliope
    Calliope

there are a variety of ways i deal with nervousness depending on the level of anxiety.

i clean. obsessively - like the toothbrush comes out (not mine, but someone else's of course), q-tips for tight corners. i unscrew the sink taps and wash them (they really do get grimy). scrub tiny spots on the carpet. wash walls... oh my.

i play the piano - if it's nearby.
    i strum the guitar (in an intimidating attempt to convince myself i can play - which actually adds to the anxiety).

then there are the times when going POSTAL (!!!) is the only thing that will help.
    cry.
    scream into a pillow.

and then, sometimes i roll a joint (then smoke it).

cal.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Mouthy that goes along with your nick. I bet you can talk your way out of a foxhole.

MS!!!! LOL If I ever get in a foxhole I will let you know how it went. BUT I doubt with MY SIZE no fox made that big a hole

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    Gosh! That's got to be adding insult to an injury type situation? Does it happen at job interviews or just in random situations? Is there anything that the doctor can give you to prevent it?

Yeah it can be bad, there's no hiding being nervous when that happens. There has been times where people I'm with have pointed it out and been like, "What's wrong with your neck?" which always makes the situation worse. I have never had a problem at a job interview, mostly just at gatherings where I don't know the people very well, it happens every time at my husbands work dinners. But I wouldn't take medication for it (if there is such a thing) since it's only a minor inconvenience and always goes away once I feel more comfortable.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    i clean. obsessively - like the toothbrush comes out (not mine, but someone else's of course), q-tips for tight corners. i unscrew the sink taps and wash them (they really do get grimy). scrub tiny spots on the carpet. wash walls... oh my.

Calliope you should come over to my house when you're nervous. I'd let you do your thing! Now, for the weed, I'd have to talk to OpenFiredGlass about that. He'd have to hook you up! Hopefully, my house won't be so bad that you'd have to go postal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit