Luke 21:8, my discussion with an elder.

by drew sagan 49 Replies latest jw friends

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

xjwms, the pressure will be relieved very soon. We are talking to our inlaws tonight about how we are no longer going to attend the meetings. After that, not much more to do. I have no family in the WT, so there is really no major loss for me. Pick up and move along.

• JT
    JT

He simply stated that such council did not apply to the Watchtower because God had chose them

#########

this is why i keep on telling folks don't even getting into a pissing match with a society man.elder, dyed in the wool jw, you will lose and they will say stuff, just like the above, stuff that shows absolutely no commone sense- no thought, just anything that keeps the society looking good

now tell me, what can you possible explain to such a man or woman who has the mindset as indicated above-

you guys just don't believe FAT Meat is Greasy- smile

• TD
    TD
    He simply stated that such council did not apply to the Watchtower because God had chose them. The warning was that we should not follow those who are not appointed by God. Needless to say we did not agree on this point.

There's an especially ironic type of circularity at work here that strikes me as humorous.

So the warning does not apply to them (The "Faithful and Discreet Slave") because God chose them?

What was the basis of this alleged choice? JW literature is replete with the claim that they were chosen in 1919 because they were the only ones that had been on the watch and the only ones alert to the commencement of the parousia and the Kingdom's establishment in 1914

So let me get this straight. Christs warns against listening to anyone who says "Here is the Christ" or "The time is at hand." But if you ignore that warning, as the JW organization did, he'll be so happy that he'll reward you and place you over all his belongings and the warning therefore doesn't apply.

So in the last analysis, the warning doesn't apply to the JW organization because they ignored it. Hokay Dokay.

• truth.ceeker
    truth.ceeker

Luk 21:8

(ALT)

So He said, "Be watching [that] you* are not led astray [fig., deceived] . For many will come in My name, saying, '_I_ am,' and 'The time has drawn near.' Therefore, do not go after them.

(ASV)
    And he said, Take heed that ye be not led astray: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am he ; and, The time is at hand: go ye not after them.

(BBE)
    And he said, Take care that you are not tricked: for a number of people will come in my name, saying, I am he; and, The time is near: do not go after them.

(Bishops)
    And he sayde: Take heede, that ye be not deceaued. For many shall come in my name, saying I am Christe, and the tyme draweth neare. Folowe ye them not therfore.

(CEV)
    Jesus replied: Don't be fooled by those who will come and claim to be me. They will say, "I am Christ!" and "Now is the time!" But don't follow them.

(Darby)
    And he said, See that ye be not led astray, for many shall come in my name, saying, *I* am he , and the time is drawn nigh: go ye not therefore after them.

(DRB)
    Who said: Take heed you be not seduced: for many will come in my name, saying: I am he and the time is at hand. Go ye not therefore after them.

(EMTV)
    And He said: "Take heed that you not be deceived. For many will come in My name, saying, 'I AM,' and, 'The time has drawn near.' Therefore do not go after them.

(ESV)
    And he said, "See that you are not led astray. For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am he!' and, 'The time is at hand!' Do not go after them.

(Geneva)
    And he sayd, Take heede, that ye be not deceiued: for many will come in my Name, saying, I am Christ, and the time draweth neere: followe ye not them therefore.

(GNB)
    Jesus said, "Watch out; don't be fooled. Many men, claiming to speak for me, will come and say, 'I am he!' and, 'The time has come!' But don't follow them.

(GW)
    Jesus said, "Be careful that you are not deceived. Many will come using my name. They will say, 'I am he!' and 'The time is near.' Don't follow them!

(ISV)
    He said, "Be careful that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name and say, 'I am he' and 'The time is near.' Don't go after them.

(JPS)

(KJV)
    And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

(KJV+)
    And 1161 he 3588 said, 2036 Take heed 991 that ye be not 3361 deceived: 4105 for 1063 many 4183 shall come 2064 in 1909 my 3450 name, 3686 saying, 3004 I 1473 am 1510 Christ ; and 2532 the 3588 time 2540 draweth near: 1448 go 4198 ye not 3361 therefore 3767 after 3694 them. 846

(KJV-1611)
    And he said, Take heede that yee be not deceiued: for many shall come in my Name, saying, I am Christ, and the time draweth neere: goe yee not therefore after them.

(KJVA)
    And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

(KJVR)

(LITV)
    And He said, Watch that you not be led astray. For many will come on My name, saying, I AM! Also, The time has come! Do not go after them.

(MKJV)
    And He said, Take heed that you are not deceived, for many shall come in My name, saying, I AM! Also, The time has come! Do not go after them.

(Murdock)
    And he said to them: See, that ye be not deceived; for many will come in my name, and will say: I am Messiah and the time is near. But go ye not after them.

(RV)
    And he said, Take heed that ye be not led astray: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am he ; and, The time is at hand: go ye not after them.

(Webster)
    And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many will come in my name, saying, I am Christ ; and the time draweth near: therefore go ye not after them.

(WNT)
    "See to it," He replied, "that you are not misled; for many will come assuming my name and professing, 'I am He,' or saying, 'The time is close at hand.' Do not go and follow them.

(YLT)
    And he said, `See--ye may not be led astray, for many shall come in my name, saying--I am he , and the time hath come nigh; go not on then after them;

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

Drew; i've been following your posts for a while. and was losing hope for you!! but you stepped up to the plate. jw's really have no answer for luke 21 matt 24 etc. his answer that they are god's people. would have led me into a 2 hour discourse. on all the rotten shit they were teaching during jesus' inspection from 1914-1918. and the fact this elder has never read anything from that time. so he's just talking crapola. i would have dragged him over hot coals. made him lie at every turn. you did really great. the cat is out of the bag. they have nothing and YOU KNOW IT. keep lovin your wife, i think she know's your right. i like your style. john P>

• atypical
    atypical

Good job, Drew! You picked a great point because it is simple and impossible to reconcile with jw doctrine. It's an amazing thing that happens in your mind - the second you realize that the teachings you have always believed were just hand picked and adapted according to the selfish desires of a few men. It hurts, but it's also very liberating.

Good luck to you!!

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Drew,

Whew, I am glad that is over for you. Sounds like you gave him some food for thought. But the typical JW mindset is it applys to everyone else just not us! Unless he sees that 607 is not fatual, and then 1914 crumbles, he most likely will not think about it any further. We are so happy though that your wife is opening up! At least you have each other!! We are anxious to hear of her progress! Keep us posted on the whole "elder" thing.

SIncerely,

Lady Liberty

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I've decided to write a letter to the Society about this very question to see if I can get a straight answer. I'll keep you all posted.

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Congrats Drew,

I know how the elders get around answering any hard questions, they just avoid them. I never got an answer about Malawi/Mexico from the elders. One elder said he was going to come over with the Circut Overseer that very next week and never showed. Glad you are moving on Drew. I wish you the very best.

The Claw

• Zico
    Zico

Drew, Did you ever get a reply to your letter? Anyway, I just asked a Witness about this verse, and he went on about all the signs that prove we're in the time of the end, you know, the tactic of avoiding the question and trying to take the discussion to something they can argue, so I just kept trying to get it back on track till he finally answered it by saying that it didn't apply to the Society (No surprises there) I said 'so the bible doesn't apply to the Society then?' He said 'No it does, just that verse, the Apostles often said the time was near, so clearly it didn't apply to those who were chosen by God.' The apostles did say it was near didn't they? I'm not an apologist or owt like, just asking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit