Do Not Call List

by anglise 39 Replies latest jw friends

• anglise
    anglise

DO NOT CALL LIST

An ex-JW in the UK has come up with a brainwave!!

He canvassed his local area and came up with a signed list of several thousand householders who did not wish to be called on again by Jehovah’s Witnesses.

This list was then handed to the local congregations and the London Bethel who were then obliged to list all those households as Do Not Calls.

Has anyone else tried this??

• nelly136
    nelly136

this was done by Roy Calloway in wales, he cut their territory
    by about 50% in his area I think, which meant everyone else got called on twice as often (twice the irritation)cool dude
    . http://www.onroaduk.org/
    nelly

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Anglise:

This would be an excellent project for XJWs, Church groups, etc. It would be no more difficult than any other door-to-door petition drive.
    Simply knock on a door, explain that JWs have a "secret" policy of discontinuing visitations if so requested in writing, with further explanation that signing your petition is all that it takes, and that such petition will be formally filed with both the local Cong and national headquarters.

About 6 weeks ago, there was a US news article posted here which related that a US citizen had successfully sued a JW publisher for "trespass" because that JW called at their door after a "no-call" request had been filed.

A photocopy of that news article could be given to everyone who signs the petition.

Something like this would be 1000% more effective than "demonstrating" outside an assembly.

It would likely eventually be mentioned in the local media, and possibly would snowball once people learned how simple it is to stop JWs from knocking at their doors.

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Wow,what a neat idea.
    If I remember correctly we were told that the "do not calls" would be called on once a year or six months to see if that is still their wish.Also because people move.So they will still tick people off.
    Could you imagine the stress this would put on the car capton,not only trying to read those terrible little maps but trying to figure which homes to call on!
    Ranchette

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Ranchette:

I've been inactive too long to know whether there is a SOP to occasionally re-check "no-call" requests, but I do know that once a formal notice is sent by a homeowner that withdrawns permission for JWs to enter their property for proselytising purposes, that any future call would constitute "trespass" (both criminal and civil), regardless of the "guise" of re-checking the homeowner's current desire.

As Nelly points out, this would result in "non-signers" receiving an increased number of calls, which will piss them off, and will further result in them "signing up", and/or being more antagonistic to knocking JWs.

All of this would accumulate into one big morale drain on the r&f.

Then, think what would happen if a few local hotheads also filed criminal charges and/or civil lawsuits against a few JWs...

My fantasies run wild...

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

I can't even recall where "Do Not Call" procedures are even spelled out- BOE Letter? KM? Org Book?

Does anyone have the SOP in writing? Please post!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Just an aside; when I left the dubs I put a sign on my gate that said: NO RELIGIOUS CALLERS PLEASE. It really infuriated the dubs, whenever they came around my area they would proclaim loudly: "Hah! As if we would call on him!"

It quite tickled me.

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

It's not in BOE letters. It's in case law.

I have been doing this by mail and I am about to expand. I also go out in service just to see how it goes. The list on the backs of many territory cards is getting long. It's also making the dubs question what's going on.

There is also a website for this. www.do-not-call.org

Let's pull together.

I staretd this about 2 years ago and my approach was and is as mentioned here. Telling people that the frequency of visits will increase as JW's have a monthly quota for hours really makes them not want to be the last person on their street to get their house listed on the DNC list.

LOL

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

Here in California, there's a legislative effort underway to limit some forms of telephone solicitation. It would involve the "Do Not Call" concept we're familiar with (except meaning telephone calls).

I wonder if the sponsor would be willing to add a slight improvement dealing with in-person unsolicited calls.........

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Biblexaminer, thanks for the link. This is a great idea! I am going to make up flyers and include the "Silentlambs" information. Then I am going to go door-to-door in my sister's entire territory with these flyers. I am going to have each DNC sign their name on the petition and then I am going to mail it to my sister's congregation certified mail (anonymously), along with a copy of the flyer. I am sooooo excited! Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit