I'm at a loss at how to get thru to my parents. I fear they will die before they will stop shunning me.

by cognisonance 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

All I want is this: for us to be a family, to spend time together enjoying life. I don't wish to debate about their beliefs when together. They can remain JWs for all I care. I just want them to stop shunning me. My father is nearing 70. He and my mom have been in this religion for over 30 years now (Catholic before that). They believe this is the truth primarily because it changed their personalities and behaviors for the better. They confuse outcome with strategy (or rather truth) in this case.

Anyway, I just want us to have normal conversation and to hang out together fairly often. With them getting older I fear I don't have much time to spend with them. I'm able to visit them unannounced once a year or so and talk with them for an hour or two. Those golden two hours are typically normal and wonderful. They are smiling, gleaming with happiness. We talk about all sorts of things, just normal stuff. I never bring up religion, evolution, or any other controversial subject, and say little if they do. But it always ends with profound emptiness and sadness. Their smiles change to long faces and tears. They tell me things like:

"We can't keep doing this. We just can't"

"We love you so much, but you know we shouldn't be talking with you."

"We must trust that doing things Jehovah's way, no matter how much we don't want too or how much it hurts, will be the best course of action in the long run"

The latter sentiment, one of faith, how to get past that? How do I get thru to them. I know they are under mind control (i.e. BITE, information control, fear, intellectual dishonesty in publications, etc). I get that. It's probably not gonna happen. But I still want to try.

I've thought about addressing the logical fallacy in that latter sentiment with my Dad. He's a very intelligent person. He sees all kinds of logical fallacies in what typical JWs say every day (i.e. if someone says, "I prayed to Jehovah for new shoes and look I found just what I was looking for, and 50% off at that. Thank you Jehoavah," he would respond with why would He give you shoes and not food to starving witnesses in Africa?"). I really think I have a shot with talking to him using logical, but the problems with this are:

1) He's been an Elder for about 20 years. He is indoctrinated quite a bit. He sees a bunch of bull shit, but says "This is the most perfect, imperfect organization... It has to be the truth." So while intelligent and logical, ideological motivation usually beats evidence or logic and as mentioned he is susceptible to confusing outcome with strategy are big problems. However, he often is the odd man out on his elder body. Most elders view him as a "problem elder." He is a very compassionate man and when other elders want to take action against members in Pharisaical ways ("strip brother so and so's privileges because he is only getting 9 hours in field service, not 10" he will stand up and fight for that member much to other elder's chagrin).

2) He's said before, "If one leaves the truth what do they have to believe in? Evolution? But what hope is there with that?" So he also makes the fallacy of appeal to consequences.

3) I worry any attempt to talk about his faith will be counterproductive, turn into debate, and will activate the cult personality. Still, while I'd never address logical fallacies with my Mom and would always appeal to her motherly love and emotions, my dad might bite with logic, or it could turn him off form talking to me forever. I'm not wanting to take on logic fallacies with the goal of somehow trying to get him to stop believing in his religion, just to get him to stop shunning. I just don't know how to do it. Suggestions?

• cappytan
    cappytan

If you don't mind my asking, would you qualify as "sexually immoral or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner"?

Because, if you don't, you may be able to convince your father that 1 Cor. 5:11 doesn't apply to you.

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

In case you're curious, the logic fallacy in my Dad's latter statement include:

Blind Loyalty (also Blind Obedience, the "Team Player" appeal, or the Nuremberg Defense). The dangerous fallacy that an argument or action is right simply and solely because a respected leader or source (an expert, parents, one's own "side," team or country, one’s boss or commanding officers) say it is right. This is over-reliance on authority, a corrupted argument from ethos that puts loyalty above truth or above one's own reason and conscience. In this case, a person attempts to justify incorrect, stupid or criminal behavior by whining "That's what I was told to do," or “I was just following orders."  - http://utminers.utep.edu/omwilliamson/ENGL1311/fallacies.htm

This is the fundamental problem with my Father. He can trade logic for it's antithesis, faith. I have a hard time reconciling how he can be logical in so many areas, but when it comes at odds with faith... faith wins.

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

cappytan,

I was DF'd for so-called as sexual immorality even though at the time I also expressed doubts regarding the religion as being "truth." My parents are aware I am an atheist, though they probably think it's an excuse for me. Taking any approach on logic based on the bible interpretation is out for me.

• cognisonance
  • campaign of hate
    campaign of hate

Playing devils advocate here, but perhaps re-in-statement then fade could be an option? "technically" your in, and it sounds like your parents like technicalities...Don't know if this idea is endorsed on this site.

Just saying...

• blondie
    blondie

I read a comment in the WT once that in the nation of Israel people were executed for df'ing offenses and that their friends and family definitely could not talk to a dead person.  The WTS would rather there be zero, absolutely no reason for jws to talk to df'd jws.  I know quite a few jws that secretly talk to them or rationalize it but behind the scenes, so no jws know they are doing it.  Evidently, God is not real to them or they do not think he sees or hears them.  "Jehovah has left the land and he is not seeing"  (Ezekiel)

Then as jws approach older age and death is facing them, they don't want to damage their hope of everlasting life on a paradise earth.

I'm not even df'd or da'd and my jw family has not talked to me for almost 15 years, 20 years in some cases, even when my husband was an elder, and I a pioneer.

I would just look for opportunities to be kind, send a card or something you know they need.  Just mention happy times and that you are thinking of them...no "witnessing." 

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

How do I pull of the facade of re-in-statement where I'm a known atheist? The elders won't attempt calling on me to see if I want to come come back. Besides, I work full time, attend university part time, do research par time. I'm very very busy. How do I find time to go thru all the hoops required to fake a turnaround, let alone I think I'd vomit trying to do so?

• campaign of hate
    campaign of hate

This is a very tough situation, and every time i write a response, it sounds almost cocky and arrogant, so i delete it. So please don't take it that way. Its just my 2 cents.

Maybe go back, and say you found your faith and repent? But make them realize you are a busy person. Your dads an elder, so he would be more than happy to pull a few strings i would have thought.

That reply sounds so pretentious. God.

• blondie
    blondie

It is hard to live a lie, isn't it.  Once you are reinstated, are you going to continue the jw routine?  Do you plan on becoming inactive?  I'm inactive and my family have nothing to do with me....

I have seen it take 8 years for some to be reinstated and they were sincere about coming back....

Do what we did, find new friends and "family" people who like you for what you are not what they want you to be.

Blondie 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit