"Hemophiliacs are like vampires!"

by rebel8 34 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I would have recomended vitamin a made from fish oil.

Of course you would, JW. And you know why? Because you're a bloody idiot!!! That's why!

Rebel, that just helps make me hate that sick organisation even more, were it possible! Accusing a sick child of vampirism, of all things!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Where did you get your medical degree? or medical licence? From a box of Cornflakes or Froot Loops?

The latter, since JW obviously IS a Froot-Loop.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Besides, for the ending to mean "lover of", it has to be rendered "-phile", as in "paedophile" - you'd think Dubs, with all their defence of the latter, would know this!

• rebel8
    rebel8

Thanks to all for your kind responses! (Yes, my condition is much better controlled now, but of course I still have my moments...it is a gigantic relief to have real medical care.)

And the jokes--hilarious! This forum always keeps me laughing. The other day I ate my lunch in my office instead of the break room because I couldn't stop laughing for half an hour.

Sometimes JWD posters are accused of being bitter malcontents; maybe reading stories like this will make ppl realize how valid the anger is. Imagine those who were abused--much worse than anything I ever went through--what unimaginable horrors they experienced. Not being angry is often unhealthy in situations like that.

jw, I hope you were kidding about the Vitamin A. (Even Vitamin K doesn't help because it doesn't replace what I'm missing.) It did make me laugh though--very remniscent of the strange advice I was given as a child. I was on alfalfa tablets for a while, then Vitamin E, which almost killed me because it makes bleeding worse. JWs gave me that junk and my mother thought we had outsmarted the doctors, what a laugh. I am significantly deficient in 2 blood fractions and no vitamin, herb, granola, acupressure, iridology, shaming, wishful thinking, or praying is going to change that.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

A terrible thing to say to a youngster and i would surely hope that her parents would put the offending party in their place. It is significant though

........I just remembered something sad/hilarious that a dub said to me, based upon her vast study of Greek/Latin/etc

All organizations & churches have their share of crackpots, well meaning or otherwise. I highlighted the fact that she was a woman, not to offend any of the intelligent women on here, but to show that this was not official policy, and did not even come from a servant or elder. I guess we have to live with life's idiots, wherever we find them

As for jw's suggestion? Many people have found relief from ailments and sickness from unorthodox treatments, some swear blind their lives have been saved. Should we immediately decry something because it does not come prescribed and in a packet?

I do not know , or believe that it would work, but if someones recommends something, I at least am gracious enough to accept the personal recommendation and act on it or not as I see fit.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I can understand your point of view. Here are my thoughts.

I realize this woman was a crackpot. However, my KH was comprised of mostly crackpots like this woman. The other thing to consider is that silence is an endorsement. She should have been corrected & made to apologize to me, but instead the reaction was that children should respect all adults no matter how inappropriately they behave.

I was not a person to not listen to suggestions. To the contrary, I was searching for a solution. At a certain point, my research taught me what would help my condition and what wouldn't. I literally spent hours every day bleeding--in school, at home, walking to school, at the mall--in many places. I had physician's office visits several times per week and emergency room visits several times per month. I knew what caused my nosebleeds and the best way to stop them. By virtue of my experience, I was an expert on my condition & knew a lot more than a random person in a KH bathroom ever would. So did my parents.

I realize ppl want to help and offer their unwanted/unsolicited advice....however, it is idiotic to believe you know more about how to treat a rare condition than the person who struggles with it for hours daily, and their entire medical team. There is a difference between saying, "My friend has nosebleeds & says such and such helps....", offering assistance and then leaving (appropriate) VS. insisting someone take your bizarre suggestions and criticizing your relationship with God if you don't (inappropriate).

For example, there were a few ppl in my KH that insisted all I had to do to stop my nosebleeds was to tip my head back, and they actually took my head and forced it back if I declined. Far from appropriate or helpful! All that does is make the blood go down your throat--it does nothing at all to affect the bleed, and in fact made me sick to my stomach after hours of....well I'll leave it at that (gross). I thought I'd be executed by Jehovah for drinking blood. My mother was present in the KH. They had no business taking over decision-making for someone else's child! Yet the silence endorsed their actions.

I find it highly arrogant that these ppl would think their selection of a random vitamin outsmarted medical science, the patient, and their family. My non-JW parent & a grandparent had the same condition I do, so it is not as if I had no adult direction in this matter either. That was well-known in the congregation. Today, I usually do the polite, "uh huh," and just go on about my business, but the JWs in my KH couldn't leave it at that. They insisted their suggestions be taken no matter how dangerous or stupid--and the "cures" were all supposed to be taken to replace medical care, not as an adjunct.

Then there was the outrageous method of "diagnosing" me. There were a few women who would tell me every freaking time, "it's just your sinuses, take some cold medicine". Aaaargh! I wanted to say, "So you came to this conclusion while peeing in the toilet next to me for 90 seconds? You must be right; I'll just ignore the doctors I see every freaking week for this condition and listen to you." How many dozen times does a person have to tell me that before I'm allowed to get aggravated? (The cold medicine they wanted to give me would have made it worse BTW.)

My whole impression of my KH's view of medical care is that physicians are idiots and liars, and all they need to do is to rely upon rumors, hocus-pocus, and guesswork to outsmart physicians. That is because they've been taught that for over a century: Brochure: Bizarre Medical Myths--Believe it or not! The reason I now jump on alternative medicine suggestions to cure my bleeding disorder is that they are intended to perpetuate the WTS myth that use of blood products is never necessary. I think it's important to debunk those suggestions to ensure the medical misrepresentations the WTS has perpetrated over the centuries does not go unnoticed.

• jw
    jw

Don't knock it till you have tried it.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I have taken a multivitamin for years that has Vitamin A in it--no effect. Plus I am not deficient in Vitamin A, a cause of bleeding in some people (but not the cause of mine).

It's not as if I'm not open to the idea that there is some kind of easy treatment out there. I've tried a ton of other alternative treatments in my 37 year bleeding disorder career. Many harmed me while the rest had no effect. I'm a regular participant in scientific studies too.

I wish it could be so easy as to take a vitamin or whatever, but unfortunately, most of my wishes don't come true.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Madness.

I'm going to give blood next time Mr Frass goes. I'm not completely comfortable with the idea, but I figure that as I'd rather have blood than die, it's only fair that I donate it too.

• jw
    jw

proper vitamin A ( no Carrot stuff) dosage is 100,000 iu a day for 2 weeks then reduce it or stop all together if bleeding ceases.

And it will have an immediate effect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit